neurology with pediatric/psychology focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjagan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I understand that I have a very long way to go before I can 100 percent say I want to do a certain specialty. However , I always have been strongly leaning towards the specialty in my subject heading.

Should I do a pediatric residency and then a neurology fellowship?
Or are there other ways that are just as effective in helping me get to my end goal such as neurology (pediatric intern year and a fellowship)?

Lastly, what kinds of rotations/electives should I do and in what kind of hospitals/community?

I would appreciate your input. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to a peds neuro program. I don't know much other than the fact the specialty exists because my friend matched into it. If I'm not mistaken, child neurology is it's own specialty and it's not a pediatrics/neurology double-board situation.

You can apply to a peds neuro program. I don't know much other than the fact the specialty exists because my friend matched into it. If I'm not mistaken, child neurology is it's own specialty and it's not a pediatrics/neurology double-board situation.

Actually, it's a triple board situation.

If you do the 5 year Peds Neuro programs, which is 2 years of general pediatrics and 3 years of neuro/peds neuro (usually a year of adult neuro and 2 of peds neuro, but there may be some slight deviation from that), then you can sit for board exams in all three specialties. I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen it, where people who finish this 5 year sequence do any adult care. Given the 2 years of gen peds, that probably narrows it down to people who want to focus on kids from the start.

It is possible, though less frequent, to do a standard 3 year peds residency and then find a spot in a peds neuro fellowship. Most peds neuro fellowship programs because of the 5 year programs already have their fellow spots filled and so this alternate route may require finding a spot outside of the Match.