"Neurology... you mean neurosurgery?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMom1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I share with non-physicians that I am applying to neurology residency, I almost invariably get the response "you mean, like neurosurgery?"

How do you respond to the masses who seem to equate neurology with neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I share with non-physicians that I am applying to neurology residency, I almost invariably get the response "you mean, like neurosurgery?"

How do you respond to the masses who seem to equate neurology with neurosurgery?

You should say "yes, exactly like that," especially if you're at a bar and there are women close by.

Reactions: 1 users
Sometimes I give the analogy of heart doctors and heart surgeons, both working to treat problems with the heart.

Other times I just say something along the lines of "neurologists don't normally do surgery on the brain, but treat other diseases like seizures, stroke, Parkinson's disease, etc."

Then if the conversation stays on the topic I'll explain more of the awesome stuff that neurologists can do. It never stays on that topic :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm. I didn't realize this was an issue for you guys. I often get called a neurologist, but have yet to correct anyone on it.

I suppose, as a non-surgeon, being called a surgeon may be a little scary; what if they ask about surgery?

Incidentally, we do rotations on neurology, neuro-ICU, neuro-rads, and neuro-path while, from what I gather, you guys do those, but not neurosurgery. So, there's more neurologist in each neurosurgeon than neurosurgeon in each neurologist, if you will.

Reactions: 1 user