Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdSwim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on military neurology?

Looking into it as a possible residency, just wondering if anyone out there has information on residencies. I am an AF med student.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a link to show AF GME sites for this past year or the year coming? I think my internet skills have taken a beating; im not really able to find any good information.

Correct me if I am wrong; but I have not been able to find any AF neurology residency? However, it looks like you can do a 4th year clerkship in neurology at BAMC? Has neuro been very competitive in the AF lately?

It looks like the Air Force has been giving 5 neuro spots each year. I'm guessing they are all civilian deferred?

Let me know if I am on the right track here. Just trying to figure out a few things while on break from rotations.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I am wrong; but I have not been able to find any AF neurology residency? However, it looks like you can do a 4th year clerkship in neurology at BAMC? Has neuro been very competitive in the AF lately?

It looks like the Air Force has been giving 5 neuro spots each year. I'm guessing they are all civilian deferred?

Let me know if I am on the right track here. Just trying to figure out a few things while on break from rotations.

Thank you

I am army and was recently PCSed to Fort Hood. Upon my arrival there, I met a few of the peds guys from both army and AF that come up to fort hood once a week to do consults. I asked them about the perpetual lingering rumors of AF neurology residency closure. They are not aware of this and say its still going strong. Myself, being army, I was also jealous that we did not participate in the SAUSHEC program.

The SAUSHEC residency website does not list neurology as one of there programs. That is the only source I found to say that the AF will not have a neurology program.

Thanks for the update. I think neuro will be a very exciting field for military doctors in the coming years. Hopefully there will be a chance for me to get into the action.

The AF HPERB results for this year list 4 spots for neuro this year, 2 at SAUSHEC and 2 civ deferred.

Wilford Hall takes 2 residents/year, with the JSGMESB civ deferring 2-4/year (you'd think there'd be more slots with all the TBIs?). To my knowledge there's no plans to change this in the immediate future regarding BRAC with BAMC, but my information is admittedly like 3rd-hand.

You've probably already found this out, but it's very difficult to get info on the internet or any way other than picking up a telephone or visiting in person. So if you're serious and have specific questions I'd call the main WH info line and ask for the neurology department. You'll either get the program coordinator or someone who can put you in contact with him/her. Not sure what level you're at, but if you're an M3 it's really not too early to go ahead and schedule an ADT for next summer.

Thanks, that's a good idea. Ill give them a call this week.

I am a current PGY-3 Neurology Resident at Wilford Hall:

We have 2 residents per year. Highly likely to increase by another resident after the merge with BAMC (local army hospital) next summer. I consider us strong academically. Our average NRITE score was >90th percentile (for PGY year) for at least the last couple of years. Lots of neuromuscular staff in particular: currently have several grads in fellowship at top tier institutions. Only admittable weakness in my opinion is sometimes the inpatient census gets a little low, but that is also expected to change with the merge to BAMC, so not an issue for current applicants.

If interested or have specific questions, PM or give us a call. 210-292-4106; ask for Nancy's voicemail (project coordinator).

Typically (as mentioned above) ~4 slots per year for neuro: 2 at WHMC and 2 deferred.

Other quick tidbit that I can think of off the top of my head: home call 7x/month in PGY-2, 5x in -3, 3x in -4; ACGME re-cert last fall for full 5 years; AF neurologists get sent to ~8 stateside locations or 1 OCONUS (england). We don't currently get deployed (except for upper level AF neurologists in command-type billets), but this is rumored to be ending soon--not unexpected since we're merging with san antonio army neurology and they have been deploying just like most other specialties all along.

Hope this is helpful!!

--burs0028

I am a current PGY-3 Neurology Resident at Wilford Hall:

We have 2 residents per year. Highly likely to increase by another resident after the merge with BAMC (local army hospital) next summer. I consider us strong academically. Our average NRITE score was >90th percentile (for PGY year) for at least the last couple of years. Lots of neuromuscular staff in particular: currently have several grads in fellowship at top tier institutions. Only admittable weakness in my opinion is sometimes the inpatient census gets a little low, but that is also expected to change with the merge to BAMC, so not an issue for current applicants.

If interested or have specific questions, PM or give us a call. 210-292-4106; ask for Nancy's voicemail (project coordinator).

Typically (as mentioned above) ~4 slots per year for neuro: 2 at WHMC and 2 deferred.

Other quick tidbit that I can think of off the top of my head: home call 7x/month in PGY-2, 5x in -3, 3x in -4; ACGME re-cert last fall for full 5 years; AF neurologists get sent to ~8 stateside locations or 1 OCONUS (england). We don't currently get deployed (except for upper level AF neurologists in command-type billets), but this is rumored to be ending soon--not unexpected since we're merging with san antonio army neurology and they have been deploying just like most other specialties all along.

Hope this is helpful!!

--burs0028

I was always curious, with BRAC and the death of WH and Brooke now becoming SAMMC, will there every be an army neuro slot as part of SAUSHEC? The day I decided to be a neurologist, I felt cheated that my Army choices were MAMC and NCC only! Who knows that the future holds.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty excited; this really helps.

I was always curious, with BRAC and the death of WH and Brooke now becoming SAMMC, will there every be an army neuro slot as part of SAUSHEC? The day I decided to be a neurologist, I felt cheated that my Army choices were MAMC and NCC only! Who knows that the future holds.

I haven't heard any rumors about new army slots here, but with the combined program I'd be surprised if it didn't at least become easier for a soldier to go through the program than before. Back when I was interviewing, there were rumors of Madigan closing it's program, but as far as I know those weren't accurate.

So it seems like AF neuro slots will be increasing in number, overall? I'm premed looking at USUHS (hopefully AF) and am extremely interested in neuro, but worried about competitiveness of residency matches (and don't yet fully understand the process therefor, to be completely honest).

So it seems like AF neuro slots will be increasing in number, overall? I'm premed looking at USUHS (hopefully AF) and am extremely interested in neuro, but worried about competitiveness of residency matches (and don't yet fully understand the process therefor, to be completely honest).

There are more important things to be worried about at this point.

Last edited:

A word of warning: I do not have much to stand on. I have no prior service and my answers to your questions are my interpretations of what I have researched on this forum for the past 3 years. However, I have been accepted to medical school and I will be commissioning as a medical officer without a doubt. Take what I say with a grain of salt, hopefully the veterans on this forum can elaborate.

So it seems like AF neuro slots will be increasing in number, overall?

Impossible to predict, especially considering you are still at least 4 years away from matching. A cabal of men determine the numbers every year based on data inaccessible to normal people like you and me. However, previous years number of AF neurology residency slots offered are published and can be viewed. You just have to search for them on this forum or google.

but worried about competitiveness of residency matches (and don't yet fully understand the process therefor, to be completely honest).

Competitiveness of residency, any residency in the military for that matter, fluctuates unpredictably year to year simply because the pool of applicants and residency slots is much smaller compared to civilian residencies. However, I believe another military physician answered your question stating neurology is relatively less competitive than other specialties.

The process of matching into military neurology residency is much like on the civilian side. Summer before the Match you fill out an application and turn it in. Hopefully you will get a chance to do an audition rotation early in your 4th year otherwise you will be interviewed. One big difference is that the military match is in December/January as opposed to the civilian match in late spring/early summer.

Hopefully this helps.

I am curious though, why are you interested in military medicine? Your GPA and MCAT that you claim to have are very competitive for both USUHS and HPSP. Just make sure you are doing this for the right reasons.

However, previous years number of AF neurology residency slots offered are published and can be viewed. You just have to search for them on this forum or google. Competitiveness of residency, any residency in the military for that matter, fluctuates unpredictably year to year simply because the pool of applicants and residency slots is much smaller compared to civilian residencies. However, I believe another military physician answered your question stating neurology is relatively less competitive than other specialties. The process of matching into military neurology residency is much like on the civilian side. Summer before the Match you fill out an application and turn it in. Hopefully you will get a chance to do an audition rotation early in your 4th year otherwise you will be interviewed. One big difference is that the military match is in December/January as opposed to the civilian match in late spring/early summer. Hopefully this helps.

That does help; thank you!

I am curious though, why are you interested in military medicine? Your GPA and MCAT that you claim to have are very competitive for both USUHS and HPSP. Just make sure you are doing this for the right reasons.

While I won't deny that the fact that them paying for my medical schooling isn't attractive, it is also simply because I think I would enjoy military medicine. I come from a military background and have shadowed doctors who have worked in both civilian and military medicine, and think I could really fit in within military medicine. If not, I'll finish my time and go civilian. I think anyone doing is simply for the money or because it may be less competitive in some ways (which I think may have been implied in your question, though I'm not sure) is probably going to get a bit of a rude awakening. I truly think I would enjoy it.

Last edited:
There are more important things to be worried about at this point.
True, but I'd rather not screw myself over for the future. I'm trying to take everything into account, and really don't want to shoehorn myself out of a specialty in which I am very interested.

I think anyone doing is simply for the money or because it may be less competitive in some ways (which I think may have been implied in your question, though I'm not sure) is probably going to get a bit of a rude awakening.

Hahaha I actually meant to imply that your numbers are very competitive for HPSP and USUHS, but I can easily say my GPA is a 4.0 and my MCAT is a 45 (it's not). However, I don't think there is a reason for you to lie. :)

Just make sure you read through EVERYTHING on this subforum. I think the general consensus is that the more specific your plans for medicine, the less likely you should apply for military medicine. If you still want to serve, sign up during or after residency.

Ah, here's a thought experiment. If the Air Force told you to become a GMO for 3 years after medical school and before your neurology residency, how would you feel? If the answer is anything less than,"I'm cool with that", don't sign up.