Neurophysiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naija81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...i looked in the old threads and can't find the answer to my question. I am looking for a combined EEG/EMG fellowship, usually 6months in each and preferably in the southwest. Anyone heard any good things about the Florida, texas, arizona, north carolina, atlanta programs? Or if you are a resident there and know if the neurophys is good...pls let me know. Thanks a mill. Applying now for 2013 spots, so i have limited time.

Members don't see this ad.

PLEAAAAASE someone respond! I am desperate for info. Anyone know if neurophys is good at vandy, univ of massachusetts, or utsouthwestern or ut houston????? pretty please.

Penn state (Hershey, PA), University of Maryland (Baltimore), University of Miami, Drexel College of Medicine (Philadelphia, PA) are the mixed one that I know of.

NYU program is mostly EEG.

Hope it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Vanderbilt for sleep medicine and met some of the neurophys people in that process. The place has a solid reputation and the faculty appeared nice.

The chariman, Dr. Macdonald seemed a bit "ivory tower." By this I mean he seemed much more adept/interested in administrative work and research than actual clinical or patient care. He's done alot of work related to the GABA receptor as I recall. Beth Malow has published some good studies on the ties between epilepsy and obstructive sleep apnea.

The residents and fellows all seemed happy. The facilities were solid.

Nashville was a fun city that offers far more than country music and the stereotypical image that most non-Southerners associate with it.

It's a place I would definitely consider.

Hi guys...i looked in the old threads and can't find the answer to my question. I am looking for a combined EEG/EMG fellowship, usually 6months in each and preferably in the southwest. Anyone heard any good things about the Florida, texas, arizona, north carolina, atlanta programs? Or if you are a resident there and know if the neurophys is good...pls let me know. Thanks a mill. Applying now for 2013 spots, so i have limited time.

Okay, I missed these programs. Of the ones you list I interviewed for residency (in 2006) at UNC and UF. I read a good bit about Miami and Emory, too. So my advice on neurophys must be taken in that context. With time hopefully you can get current residents or fellows to comment for better advice. Also, you have a broad swath of programs that you're asking about. They're all fine. I would recommend closely reading their respective websites and combing through the archives here on SDN for specific info.

When I interviewed for residency I loved Gainesville, which seemed to have a fun program. Chapel Hill was a little drearier, but perhaps more focused on research and academics.

Obviously Miami and Emory are both high-powered programs with awesome scope.

You seem to be casting a big net. Why not simply apply at many of these programs and interview at them yourself? With neurophys, you are going to have plenty of options.

Do you care most about research, an academic career, geographic location, ancillary rotations in intra-operative monitoring or sleep, etc? These factors will help you narrow down your choice.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. @Danielmd06 i care a lot about geographic location and really getting good clinical experience in EEG and EMG to help me with a general neurology practice.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. @Danielmd06 i care a lot about geographic location and really getting good clinical experience in EEG and EMG to help me with a general neurology practice.

Perfect. Then use your preferences to winnow down the field. I recommend investigating a minimum range of 10-15 programs and interviewing at a minimum range of 5-10. Geographically speaking, if you know an exact city/state you want to go to...the choice gets even easier.

You'll discover that picking programs is often voodoo if you don't have a specific research program you want to link up with or a certain city/state in which you desire to live. It furthermore helps if you have a particular preference for epilepsy or neuromuscular, as obviously some programs offer better faculty, stronger training, or more focused pathways in these particular disciplines if you so desire.

Broadly speaking, with neurophysiology I strongly believe you will find that you have many, many excellent options in any particular region. It is the single most prevalent fellowship opportunity and choice for neurology residents. It will also serve you very well in a career geared towards general neurology, epilepsy, or neuromuscular. Particular interest in intraoperative monitoring or sleep medicine may also be indulged.