Neurophysiology fellowships (EEG/EMG)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeurologyICU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am planning to apply to combined EEG/EMG (6 months each) for fellowship in preparation for private practice in Neurology. Does anyone have a list of all the programs that are truly combined EEG/EMG programs and provide a solid training? Any help would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am planning to apply to combined EEG/EMG (6 months each) for fellowship in preparation for private practice in Neurology. Does anyone have a list of all the programs that are truly combined EEG/EMG programs and provide a solid training? Any help would be appreciated...

Comeon guys, help me out here, would really appreciate your input or if there is any website that has this information?

You may wish to reconsider giving up a year of private practice income during fellowship unless you really really really like EMG. Medicare slashed reimbursement by up to 65% for NCS which makes up the bulk of reimbursement for these procedures. Remember private practice overhead is generally around 40-60% of revenue. Do the math.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may wish to reconsider giving up a year of private practice income during fellowship unless you really really really like EMG. Medicare slashed reimbursement by up to 65% for NCS which makes up the bulk of reimbursement for these procedures. Remember private practice overhead is generally around 40-60% of revenue. Do the math.

I understand your logic, but if I don't learn NCS/EMG and am not able to perform them or interpret them to a certain degree of confidence, to sustain private practice becomes even more difficult. One year of private practice income sacrifice is worth it for me because I enjoy EMG/EEG's. Since you have brought the topic up, what's the usual reimbursement (prior to these changes) for a "regular" NCS, EMG, and EEG individually and what numbers are we looking at after the above changes?

I understand your logic, but if I don't learn NCS/EMG and am not able to perform them or interpret them to a certain degree of confidence, to sustain private practice becomes even more difficult. One year of private practice income sacrifice is worth it for me because I enjoy EMG/EEG's. Since you have brought the topic up, what's the usual reimbursement (prior to these changes) for a "regular" NCS, EMG, and EEG individually and what numbers are we looking at after the above changes?

No further interest in NCC?

Hey all,

Medicaid just paid me about $40 to read an EEG in the hospital :laugh: No wonder nobody wants these patients!!

Anyways, I for one cannot comment on a good program and do not have experience with this. I suppose your best option would be to explore programs and then ask individuals at those institutions what they think?

I would also check in University of Washington. If I am correct, they make you do a "generic neurophysiology" year and then your second year is whenever to divide off into either epilepsy or neuromuscular.

Don't forget that fellows are often used as mini-attendings to staff the wards without any additional pay, which obviously cuts into your training. I would avoid a two year fellowship like the plague.

Hey all,

For this I think the easiest thing to do is actually going to be to check out where you would want to be geographically speaking and personally investigate programs in that area. Most neurophysiology fellowships offer some flexibility on the part of the fellow, and if you tell them you want to do 50/50 for EEG/EMG I really don't think that this is going to be an issue. Sometimes if you want lots of sleep or IOM then it's more dicey.

Hey all,

Rush in Chicago. I think Indiana U also. At least they did when I was applying.

For this I think the easiest thing to do is actually going to be to check out where you would want to be geographically speaking and personally investigate programs in that area. Most neurophysiology fellowships offer some flexibility on the part of the fellow, and if you tell them you want to do 50/50 for EEG/EMG I really don't think that this is going to be an issue. Sometimes if you want lots of sleep or IOM then it's more dicey.

On paper, that sounds a good idea, but every program that I have looked at (barring a few) is intended to be either EMG or EEG heavy (9 months of one or the other). To add to that, most prestigious programs like MGH, Hopkins, Mayo have Neurophysiology (with EMG and EEG tracts separately). Who will I need to contact to make this happen (EMG Neurophysiology director, EEG Neurophysiology director or both?) Are the fellowship program directors at these big name institutes accommodating to creating your own tract?

Don't forget that fellows are often used as mini-attendings to staff the wards without any additional pay, which obviously cuts into your training. I would avoid a two year fellowship like the plague.

Thanks for the heads-up.

They are both strong programs. You could do a lot worse that either of those. I would, however, say that Rush is a bit stronger in the EEG/epilepsy side and IU in the EMG/neuromuscular side.

How are the programs at Emory, University of Chicago, Univ Rochester and Northwestern with EEG/epilepsy and EMG/NM?

On paper, that sounds a good idea, but every program that I have looked at (barring a few) is intended to be either EMG or EEG heavy (9 months of one or the other). To add to that, most prestigious programs like MGH, Hopkins, Mayo have Neurophysiology (with EMG and EEG tracts separately). Who will I need to contact to make this happen (EMG Neurophysiology director, EEG Neurophysiology director or both?) Are the fellowship program directors at these big name institutes accommodating to creating your own tract?

I would check with a fellowship director for the combined clinical neurophysiology places.

As far as the examples you cite (and Cleveland Clinic springs to mind as another), I would suspect that they are definitely going to be focused primarily on one path versus the other and you may have to accept that if you want to do fellowship through one of them. But I would definitely think it worthwhile to at least ask. No harm can come from asking the question. Many places have a fellowship coordinator who might be a helpful first contact individual (rather than cold emailing the actual program director), but in the final analysis I wouldn't be fearful of contacting the actual fellowship director, either.

I note that you add presitigious places in quite different areas. Are you more interested in the name recognition of the program than the area (nothing wrong with this)? That might help you trim down your list, too.

I would check with a fellowship director for the combined clinical neurophysiology places.

As far as the examples you cite (and Cleveland Clinic springs to mind as another), I would suspect that they are definitely going to be focused primarily on one path versus the other and you may have to accept that if you want to do fellowship through one of them. But I would definitely think it worthwhile to at least ask. No harm can come from asking the question. Many places have a fellowship coordinator who might be a helpful first contact individual (rather than cold emailing the actual program director), but in the final analysis I wouldn't be fearful of contacting the actual fellowship director, either.

I note that you add presitigious places in quite different areas. Are you more interested in the name recognition of the program than the area (nothing wrong with this)? That might help you trim down your list, too.

Name recognition is not that important to me (but still important), although the programs above tend to be 'solid places' to train. I wouldn't mind going to a different program, even if it's 'less prestigious' as long as it gives me a solid training and skills required for me to adequately learn and practice the field. That's the reason, I was asking if anyone was aware of any solid programs with 50/50 distribution. It would be ideal for me to pursue fellowship at a prestigious place, but not required. One year of fellowship is not a big deal in the long run, so I don't mind moving to another city/state if required.