Neuropsych internship sites with protected research time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroWise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am preparing a list of preliminary internship sites that I may apply to in the future, I am having difficulty navigating through the sites identified in the APPIC directory as having neuropsych tracks/opportunities. It seems like a lot of sites list neuropsych as a part of their internship training, but when I read the program description, they really do not (or it's a minor component of a minor rotation). Additionally, it is often unclear to me which sites offer protected research time as a normal part of their training (like Brown and UCLA Semel Institute). I am coming from a Clinical Psychology PhD program that has a Clinical Science training orientation and my future goal is to find a tenure-track faculty position and do research. So could any of the neuro people on here tell me which internship sites might fit these parameters (heavy neuro training + research time)? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There was at least one thread on here a few yrs back that listed the top 8-12 research heavy places: Brown, MUSC, etc. I'm not sure how many have a neuro component, but that'd be a good place to start. Try searching for "research internship" or specifically MUSC.

Others will know more about the research track career objective than myself, but agree with T4C that Brown and MUSC would be near the top of my list. I believe UAB also offers protected research time, UF mentioned some semblance of it, and U. of Mississippi Med Center in Jackson also might. I'd also look into the Palo Alto, Tampa, and possibly Houston VAs, as those stand out in my mind for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As I am preparing a list of preliminary internship sites that I may apply to in the future, I am having difficulty navigating through the sites identified in the APPIC directory as having neuropsych tracks/opportunities. It seems like a lot of sites list neuropsych as a part of their internship training, but when I read the program description, they really do not (or it's a minor component of a minor rotation). Additionally, it is often unclear to me which sites offer protected research time as a normal part of their training (like Brown and UCLA Semel Institute). I am coming from a Clinical Psychology PhD program that has a Clinical Science training orientation and my future goal is to find a tenure-track faculty position and do research. So could any of the neuro people on here tell me which internship sites might fit these parameters (heavy neuro training + research time)? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, the APPIC directory is not all that helpful for neuro folks. I got most of my information from the diligence of more advanced students, who passed their knowledge on to me. For neurosych-specific internship sites, check out the list on the APA Div 40 website (http://training.scn40.org/):
Here are the APA-accredited sites that meet Div 40 guidelines for Neuropsych internship training:
From personal experience (having just applied), this list is neither exhaustive nor completely up to date (for example, Boston VA is no longer a consortium), but it's a place to start.
In terms of more research-oriented sites: at least according to my mentor (who is clinical science), and some of the advanced students in my program, the following sites tend to offer some protected research time, expect some kind of research productivity, and/or seek out future tenure-track folks. Most of these are also listed on the APCS website (Academy of Psychological Clinical Science; https://www.acadpsychclinicalscience.org/internship-programs.html), which you could cross-reference with SCN or ANST neuropsych internship lists for neuropsych-supportive programs.
Best of luck!

Portland VA has a neuropsych rotation and offers protected research time.

This is really helpful. Thanks, justaddcoffee.

So. . . what are the names of these quality programs?

Two that I know of personally are the Milwaukee VA, and the Houston VA. The Houston VA also has a boatload of research available. Also, I thought UAB also had a pretty good one that had some research available. There are probably a good amount more. The list is a good place to start, but make sure you do some legwork on your own.

UCSF CPTP has a strong research program too - plus the year of postdoc...