Neuropsych Post-Doc Interviews at INS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinky&thebrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone willing to share their experience with making travel arrangements for INS interviews? Did you wait until you heard back from programs about interviews before booking a flight? Are most interviews conducted towards the beginning of the conference?

Members don't see this ad.

I probably should have clarified that I plan on going regardless (I'll be presenting my research there as well), but I meant in terms on figuring out what day to fly out and back. I'm guessing I should be hearing back from programs around mid-January, which only leaves me a few weeks to secure a (hopefully reasonably priced) airfare.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd fly out Monday to be safe. All of my interviews were on Tuesday with the exception of one, which was Wednesday. There were also a number of opportunities to meet informally with the current fellows at most sites through Friday evening.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd fly out Monday to be safe. All of my interviews were on Tuesday with the exception of one, which was Wednesday. There were also a number of opportunities to meet informally with the current fellows at most sites through Friday evening.

I'd agree that if possible, getting in on Monday could save you some stress. Most sites seemed to prefer to get interviews out of the way early, although I had them Tuesday through Friday afternoon. I flew out Saturday, which saved me some money on the ticket and gave me all of Sunday to decompress at home. I'd recommend that route as well (again, if possible).

Random Question: I am a predoc-intern, interested in neuro for post-doc. In order to call myself Neuropsychologist, do I need to have past any neuropsychology exam or be licensed in this specialty area? Are there any websites I can check for requirements? Thanks!

In order to be a neuropsychologist, you need to definitely do a neuro postdoc. In some states, lots of people call themselves a neuropsychologist, not all of those people are actual Neuropsychologists though. Also, there is a big push on only allowing ABPP-CN boarded individuals to bill for neuropsych codes, some states already follow this model. Check the APPCN and ABPP websites to see what they require.

Random Question: I am a predoc-intern, interested in neuro for post-doc. In order to call myself Neuropsychologist, do I need to have past any neuropsychology exam or be licensed in this specialty area? Are there any websites I can check for requirements? Thanks!

Search around for the Houston Guidelines for neuropsychology training; that's a good place to start. If you're just coming into these things now while on internship, unfortunately, you have a lot of ground to make up. If you've not yet had much, if any, neuropsych training up to this point, that will make being competitive for a neuropsych post-doc difficult. Possible, but difficult. Regardless, you're going to want to look at fellowships that will help adequately train you from the ground up (rather than, say, taking a private practice option that just uses you as cheap labor to administer tests while purporting this to be "training").

For fellowships, the APA division 40 and APPCN websites both have lists of programs that offer solid training.

Question for everyone....

My brain is probably in a fog due to internship, but I had a question regarding the entire peds NP process. I've registered for APPCN (and will be applying to sites outside of the match as well), but I was under the impression (for match sites) that the application process is/was similar to that for internship. Please tell me that I won't have to apply to 12-14 sites on a paper application and mail everything. <<<---- first world problem, for sure

Question for everyone....

My brain is probably in a fog due to internship, but I had a question regarding the entire peds NP process. I've registered for APPCN (and will be applying to sites outside of the match as well), but I was under the impression (for match sites) that the application process is/was similar to that for internship. Please tell me that I won't have to apply to 12-14 sites on a paper application and mail everything. <<<---- first world problem, for sure

My application cycle was a few years back, so things might've changed, but there was a mix of sites that did everything electronically and sites that still required some materials to be mailed.

I will say that I also applied to 12 sites, and that was probably twice as many as I should've targeted. It wasn't prohibitively expensive (in part because nearly all sites interviewed at INS, and I only visited 3 in person), and it gave me plenty of interviewing experience, but it was super tiring. If I'd stuck with the 6 or 7 I'd originally had in mind, it would've been fine. But that can of course differ from person to person.