PhD/PsyD Neuropsychological Associations? NAN, INS, AACN, ACPN...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balmoral

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the benefits of the various neuropsychological associations. I've been a member of some of them due to presentations in the past but professionally as an ECP, I don't have that much time (or money) to be active in all of them. Any thoughts about differences in associations?

I assume for boarding, AACN can be useful for those seeking ABCN and ACPN for ABN?

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this thread because I am interested in hearing which organizations are beneficial for students to join. Is it worth it to join INS or NAN as a student, or is the only benefit reduced conference registration?

I think the one that I really keep up on is INS. It's the conference I usually go to every year. I'm about 50/50 on whether or not I renew my AACN dues. Although, I may start looking at leadership roles in that organization, so I may be a continuing member soon.

As a student, I only joined ones when I was presenting, otherwise it's kind of a money sink. Luckily, most of them have pretty low student fees and give you that conference discount. Also, you don't need to be a member to get on some of the listserves (Npsych, div40, etc), so don't worry about that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Joining professional organizations, such as NAN, is important because they protect your scope of practice. Other professions are continually attempting to conduct psychological testing and insurance companies are trying to decrease reimbursements. The money you give to these organizations allows them to hire lobbyists to protect your profession.

Figure out which professional organizations advocate the most for neuropsychology (I believe NAN is very active on behalf of neuropsychology) and join.

Reactions: 1 users
I gotta renew my memberships….thanks for the reminder!

AACN (good listservs and org)
NAN (good for watching out for the field)
Div 40 (good listserv)
INS (not a member anymore, though I am a regular at their annual conference)
Div 22 (not tech NP, but they are my ppl too!)

Go with the organizations whose journals you read.

Also INS, if you're self employed. Tax deductible travel!