Neuropsychology/Behavioral Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nfe522

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior and will be graduating in December. I am a Psychology major with a minor in Behavioral Neuroscience. Since taking courses for the minor, I have found that I really love the field and I am interested in pursuing a PhD in the field. I have a found a couple programs that look interesting, however I am wondering where I can find more resources about schools that have PhD programs in Neuropsychology, Behavioral Neuroscience or something similar. Any ideas or suggestions to websites or schools would help! Thank you!!

- Nicole

Members don't see this ad.

There are some neuropsychology programs but I think most clinical programs just have the option to take supplementary neuropsychology courses/option to complete your external practicums in neuropsychology settings (e.g. hospital). That's how my program is set up anyway and my dissertation research is in behavioural neuroscience.

In any case, to fully become a neuropsychologist you would need to do a clinical doctoral degree as well as a post doctoral fellowship in neuropsyc.

I am currently a senior and will be graduating in December. I am a Psychology major with a minor in Behavioral Neuroscience. Since taking courses for the minor, I have found that I really love the field and I am interested in pursuing a PhD in the field. I have a found a couple programs that look interesting, however I am wondering where I can find more resources about schools that have PhD programs in Neuropsychology, Behavioral Neuroscience or something similar. Any ideas or suggestions to websites or schools would help! Thank you!!

- Nicole

What is your end goal for a job after grad school? A neuroscientist and a neuropsychologist generally do rather different things. I would try and talk to a couple of each at your school if possible and try to narrow it down.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your end goal for a job after grad school? A neuroscientist and a neuropsychologist generally do rather different things. I would try and talk to a couple of each at your school if possible and try to narrow it down.

To be honest I'm not sure what my end goal is. I think I'd like to stay on the neuropsychology end of it, but I'm not dead set at this point, I plan on talking to a coiple professors once I go back to school in the fall about what options there are. I love learning the information and taking the classes, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd like to do with it in the end. I go to a small school though, so there isn't much faculty that actually works in the area. Only a couple and they went the psychology route. One I know got her PhD in Neuropsychology. I'm not sure about the other.

Thank you for the information!

To be honest I'm not sure what my end goal is. I think I'd like to stay on the neuropsychology end of it, but I'm not dead set at this point, I plan on talking to a coiple professors once I go back to school in the fall about what options there are. I love learning the information and taking the classes, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd like to do with it in the end. I go to a small school though, so there isn't much faculty that actually works in the area. Only a couple and they went the psychology route. One I know got her PhD in Neuropsychology. I'm not sure about the other.

Thank you for the information!

Not that you have to have the one job figured out before grad school but I think it benefits you to investigate the employment opportunities that are possible with each degree and see which ones most interest you. Please note that the other poster is correct, to be a neuropsychologist you need a Ph.D. from a clinical program, then you pursue post-doc training. Most neuropsychologists did not attend a program with a specific neuro track. It'd be like if medical schools tried to compete with each other by offering surgery, OB or psychiatry 'tracks'.

It's ironic that in my area the FS professional school with a neuro "track" has such a poor reputation that the neuropsych clinical sites don't take them as practicum students.