Neuropsychology Schools and Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blanquito720

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I am currently an undergraduate student interested in neuropsychology. I know there have been an array of forums posted about the subject, but I had a few specific questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. What are some of the best schools for neuropsychology? I know there are a lot, but if you are knowledgeable about the subject and know of a good list, I would appreciate your input.
2. Can you enter a Ph.D. program without doing a Master's first (is it a joint program)?
3. Do you become a neuropsychologist by getting a Ph.D in clinical psychology with a focus in neuropsychology, or is neuropsychology an entirely different program?
4. Acceptance rates are low-but how low for some of the good programs?

Thank you guys very much!

Members don't see this ad.

2. Yes, you can, but its easier to get your Masters first - this will help you get into a top tier funded PhD program. Although, if you dont have your MA, most doctoral programs will award one 2-3 years after you matriculate - check the specific program's information about these.

3. Again, yes, that is an option, but there are many ways. Though, first off, a neuropsychology specific PhD probably does not exist in the way you seem to be conceptualizing it, though I may be wrong. You can get a PhD/PsyD in almost anything Psychology (almost) and become a neuropsychologist, but one generally needs a neuropsych internship and/or post-doc to be considered a neuropsychologist.

I will let someone else answer the other questions.

1. A LOT is going to depend on your research and clinical interests, and "neuropsychology" may not necessary be specific enough for many folks' liking.

2. Yes

3. In general, the first option you've listed--you enter a clinical (typically) or counseling (less frequent but possible) psychology program and obtain some measure of neuropsychology training while there, then (as PsychBiker mentioned) generally attend a neuropsych-oriented internship, and finally complete a two-year postdoc in neuropsychology.

4. Programs don't usually post acceptance rates, but if I had to hazard a guess for the typical funded program, it's probably 5-10%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input PsychBiker and AcronymAllergy. You guys were a great help!

1. There is no list, as it all depends on what area within neuropsychology you want to work. Any "ranking" list (i.e. US News & World Report) isn't worth the paper it is printed on. A "good" clinical (and some counseling programs, though I'm not familiar with these programs) will all offer: solid funding, a high match rate, and a consistent history of placing students into top fellowships. Only consider university-based programs (whether Psy.D. or Ph.D.).

2. Most clinical programs DON'T require a MA/MS first; many counseling programs DO require a MA/MS.

3. Neuropsychology is a sub-speciality within clinical/counseling psychology. A neuropsychologist is a psychologist first, and then with advanced training they can practice as a neuropsychologist. For the requirements of advanced training, look up the "Houston Guidelines" article and subsequent publications for training guidelines. The quick and dirty explanation of them include: exposure to neuropsych training and mentoring during graduate training, additional training on internship, and a formal 2yr neuropsychology fellowship. The 'mix' can vary for graduate training and internship, but the formal 2yr fellowship is a must.

There are "certificate" programs out there, though I'm less familiar with most of them. A few years back I looked at the Fielding "certificate" program, which I personally think is an insufficient shortcut and wholly inadequate training. I would not consider any applicant for a fellowship position or faculty position who came through that "certificate" program.

4. Acceptance rates will most likely be <15% and often <10%.

Therapist4Chnge-

You seem very knowledgeable; thanks for you input. I recently have gained interest in this field, but I am almost a junior in college and have extensive research experience in social and child psychology, but none in neuropsychology, though I have taken several courses and plan on trying to get a position in the field soon. Do you think that competitive programs for neuropsychology are out of my reach? Would it be best to do a master's first, and then a PhD (as PsychBiker suggested), instead of applying straight for the joint programs? Thanks again for your help!

There won't be classes offered at the undergraduate level in neuropsychology, frankly I don't think they really should be any offered at the MA/MS level either (as it is a doctoral sub-speciality area). Your best bet is to take a couple neuroscience courses, a couple of stats courses, and volunteer in a research lab related to psychology/neuroscience. The vast majority of students applying to clinical doctoral programs do not complete a MA/MS first (again, I can't speak to counseling programs). The most important things to be competitive for a doctoral program: GPA, GRE, research experience, some psych classes.

There are no "nueropsychology" doctoral programs (at least that are legitimate), though there are many clinical/counseling psychology programs that offer training in neuropsychology. There are joint programs in psychology (e.g. J.D./Ph.D., M.D., Ph.D.), though none for neuropsychology, since it is a sub-speciality and not a separate degree. If you do find a program saying they have a certificate, degree, or similar in neuropsychology…it is most likely marketing and not a worthwhile training program.

I should clarify that while having an MA would be beneficial, it would probably not be worthwhile to specifically seek out an MA just to get into a PhD program unless your GPA, GRE, etc. are that bad or the competition is just that strong.

Psychbiker you bring up a good point...I just see that the acceptance rates are less than 5% for some of the top programs, which is why I was wondering if the master's degree would make it easier.

And Therapist4Chnge, I have taken and have scheduled several neuroscience/neurobiology courses, I work at a family center for children doing open ended data coding, I have been involved in a lab studying social relationships for a while, I am a teaching assistant for statistics, and I anticipate working in a lab for neuroscience, and I am a licensed EMT working for my university's medical emergency response team. I am thinking about independent study for my senior year, my major GPA is a 4.0, and I haven't yet taken the GREs. I also have a per diem job working with individuals with intellectual impairments. I value your opinion; do you think I would stand a good chance of getting into a top Clinical Psych Program? Thanks!

Just to jump on this thread… is the overall sentiment that it isn't necessary to go to a PhD program that has a neuropsych concentration / specialization? Is there a list somewhere of the schools that do offer neuropsychology as a specialty?
Thanks!

Just to jump on this thread… is the overall sentiment that it isn't necessary to go to a PhD program that has a neuropsych concentration / specialization? Is there a list somewhere of the schools that do offer neuropsychology as a specialty?
Thanks!

I would say it's not necessary to attend a program that officially has a neuropsychology "track," no. But I do think it's very important that folks who're interested in neuropsychology begin getting training in it while in grad school. It's possible to make up for lost ground while on internship and postdoc, but I wouldn't say that's the ideal route, and it could end up (almost ironically) making you less competitive for these more neuropsych-intensive internship and postdoc spots.

Agreed, you do not need to come from a neuropsych track per se, although it does help. But, you do need relevant experience (e.g., npsych prac placements, npsych related research) to be competitive for npsych internship and postdocs.

To the OP: I would advocate that if pursing a master's degree is an option you would like to entertain, finding a program that emphasizes neuroscience (e.g. cognitive neuroscience, behavior neuroscience) would be very beneficial to you and can really help your application to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology. So far, there are several Ph.D. programs you will find that offer some coursework as well as tracks in neuropsychology. Common examples include: clinical neuropsychology, clinical neuroanatomy, neuropsychological case analysis, etc. If you really wanted to appeal to potential Ph.D. programs, UT Dallas offers a master's program where cognitive neuroscience is the specialty. Courses include functional neuroanatomy, neuropharmacology, neuroscience of pain, systems neuroscience, cellular neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, and varying other courses like courses specifically on perception, memory, attention, cognitive psychology, cognitive science and many more, among varying research courses.

What I have mentioned above is a fraction of what UT Dallas offers, other specialties range in coursework that focus on the neurological basis of language, autism, etc. So, in short, these courses would really appeal to Ph.D. programs where a track or focus in neuropsychology is provided. Lastly, finding a program that emphasizes statistics and research is very important (UT Dallas provides HUGE selection and variety of these courses btw).

Camin05,

Since posting this thread, I have been doing a lot of research into the programs that DO offer a neuropsychology track.

1. University of Cincinnati
2. University of Houston
3. Wayne State University
4. University of Florida
5. University of Kentucky
6. Kent State University
7. BYU
8. Yeshiva University
9. Northwestern University
10. University of Arizona
11. University of Utah
12. Washington State University
13. University of Rhode Island
14. Drexel University
15. UConn
16. San Diego State

I hope this helps! Also, if anybody knows of any others, please add on.

UCLA has an excellent neuropsych program and I know several of the faculty who work there. Great researchers and practitioners. Also, Pepperdine has a neuro track and works closely with UCLA so they might be someone to add to the list although that would be a more expensive option.

UCLA is definitely a great option (also for fellowship; they left the neuro match 3-4+ yrs ago). They are, as most would assume, quite research intensive…so applicants should have some serious research chops if they hope for an interview.

University of Alabama at Birmingham is another one.