Neuropsychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the routes to becoming a neuropsycologist? Is there any biology involved? That I have to take.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the routes to becoming a neuropsycologist? Is there any biology involved? That I have to take.

Neuropsychology is a sub-specialty of Clinical Psychology. So, look for Clinical Phd programs that have faculty that do research in neuropsych, and look for a College that has clinical opportunities in the area.

I assume you are an undergrad student and wondering what courses to take. I'd argue that everyone should take Biology, but beyond that you should focus on Psych courses like: Research Methods and Ethics, Stats, (take all the ones your Uni has..there might be advanced stats) Biological Bases of Behavior, Behavioral Neuroscience, Neuropsychology, Perception, Cognition, Learning and Conditioning.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@psych844 So do I need to take biology yes or no?
No..but the rest are basically mandatory...in the sense that to do well in neuropsych, you should be really strong in those areas. If your college has an Honours program, most of those courses are probably mandatory..but even if they aren't..you should take them.

@psych844 So do I need to take biology yes or no?

Some clinical psychology programs have specific courses that they require of all prospective students. As a student, PhD programs specializing in neuropsychology will likely require more foundational coursework in biology (e.g., neuroanatomy, neuropsychology, neuroscience). The Houston Conference Guidelines, which outline the requirements for board certification in neuropsychology, do not require that neuropsychologists attend highly specialized neuropsychology doctoral programs; however, neuropsychology experience at the predoctoral level will be essential in matching at a neuropsychology internship and post-doc, both of which are required for neuropsychology board certification (ABPP-CN). Since neuropsychologists are first and foremost clinical psychologists, a solid foundation in generalist training is required in addition to specialized training in neuropsychology.

I agree with @psych844 that attending a mentor-model PhD program, where you have an opportunity to work in a lab that places an emphasis on research relevant to your own interests in neuropsychology will be important in becoming a neuropsychologist.

Neuropsychology is a pretty vast field. Before applying, I would recommend seeking out relevant research experience, with an emphasis on opportunities that allow you to gain experience with face-to-face testing administration and data presentation/publication. Figure out what you like and don't like, so you can avoid wasting time when you get to graduate school.

This allows you to search "self-declared" (i.e., take with a grain of salt) neuropsychology training programs:
http://training.scn40.org

Here are the Houston Conference Guidelines:
https://theaacn.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Houston_Conference.pdf

Here's a link the University of Houston's clinical neuropsychology program (an example of a specialized doctoral program):
http://www.uh.edu/class/psychology/clinical-psych/major-areas-of-study/neuropsychology/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
+1 to what briarcliff posted.

And to answer the OP's original question, I would recommend taking biology. You could get by without it, maybe, but I think the foundational knowledge is an asset. I was a biology minor and I took several neuroscience-oriented psychology electives as an undergraduate. This preparation was helpful in kicking off my graduate coursework (I aced functional neuroanatomy my first semester) and some of my early research projects.

I would agree with much of what has been said.

The Houston Conference Guidelines, which outline the requirements for board certification in neuropsychology, do not require that neuropsychologists attend highly specialized neuropsychology doctoral programs; however, neuropsychology experience at the predoctoral level will be essential in matching at a neuropsychology internship and post-doc, both of which are required for neuropsychology board certification (ABPP-CN).

Not the point of this thread, but I would qualify the above statement for others reading. A "neuropsychology internship" is not required for boards, although a neuropsych post-doc is essential. Some neuropsych should be represented during internship, but the official recommendation is that proficiency should be judged based on cumulative experience, and is therefore determined on an individual basis. You can argue that to be competitive for post-doc, you need that neuro-heavy internship... and so it goes.

I personally think that any prospective psychologist should take biology and any neuro course that's available. To me, the two best foundational tools for an undergrad psych student would be the biophysical knowledge and the research/statistical methodology knowledge. When I look back at it, those categories were the courses that helped me the most. Just about everything else you need to know about psychology in undergrad is in the Intro to Psych text.

Some clinical psychology programs have specific courses that they require of all prospective students. As a student, PhD programs specializing in neuropsychology will likely require more foundational coursework in biology (e.g., neuroanatomy, neuropsychology, neuroscience). The Houston Conference Guidelines, which outline the requirements for board certification in neuropsychology, do not require that neuropsychologists attend highly specialized neuropsychology doctoral programs; however, neuropsychology experience at the predoctoral level will be essential in matching at a neuropsychology internship and post-doc, both of which are required for neuropsychology board certification (ABPP-CN). Since neuropsychologists are first and foremost clinical psychologists, a solid foundation in generalist training is required in addition to specialized training in neuropsychology.

I agree with @psych844 that attending a mentor-model PhD program, where you have an opportunity to work in a lab that places an emphasis on research relevant to your own interests in neuropsychology will be important in becoming a neuropsychologist.

Neuropsychology is a pretty vast field. Before applying, I would recommend seeking out relevant research experience, with an emphasis on opportunities that allow you to gain experience with face-to-face testing administration and data presentation/publication. Figure out what you like and don't like, so you can avoid wasting time when you get to graduate school.

This allows you to search "self-declared" (i.e., take with a grain of salt) neuropsychology training programs:
http://training.scn40.org

Here are the Houston Conference Guidelines:
https://theaacn.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Houston_Conference.pdf

Here's a link the University of Houston's clinical neuropsychology program (an example of a specialized doctoral program):
http://www.uh.edu/class/psychology/clinical-psych/major-areas-of-study/neuropsychology/

This is the most informative reply about neuropsych I've seen yet, thank you--I hope this thread is still active! This also makes me glad I took biology as an undergrad. It sounds like one doesn't necessarily have to go the neuroscience route to become a neuropsychologist.

In my area, there are a decent amount of clinical psych schools within about a 300 mile radius, but there are maybe two neuropsych programs. Unfortunately, I can't just uproot my family and move across the country for grad school with no job. What does that mean? I'm more likely to get into just a clinical psych program here, but I still want to pursue neuropsych.

Here is my question for any Neuropsychologists out there: if I make it through clinical psych school, are there any neuropsych-only "add-on" programs, or does one have to go through whichever university's clinical psych school first? In other words, are there any two-year neuropsych programs for recently-graduated clinical psychologists out there?

I am not a neuro psychologist but I imagine that much of their training is the same as how others specialize. It may not be a "neuro program" but does it provide opportunities to do practicums in neuro assessment? Hospital rotations, gero units, etc. I have several friends who came from general psych track programs without a big neuro emphasis, but are on neuro internships / post docs simply because that's what their training offered in offsite practicum courses. That information is frequently not on program websites

Reactions: 1 users
Here is my question for any Neuropsychologists out there: if I make it through clinical psych school, are there any neuropsych-only "add-on" programs, or does one have to go through whichever university's clinical psych school first? In other words, are there any two-year neuropsych programs for recently-graduated clinical psychologists out there?

The Houston Guidelines provide a few different paths for training in neuropsychology. In general, programs that push, "concentrations"/"tracks"/"specializations" at the graduate level are doing so primarily for marketing. A neuropsychologist is first a clinical psychologist, so a solid foundation of training is what is required at the doctoral level. Exposure to graduate courses, practica, and supervision/mentorship at the doctoral level is preferred, though I'd STRONGLY caution against programs that push neuro (or any other specialized) training as the focal point during doctoral training because there is a risk to be too specialized at the detriment of foundational training. Ideally a student will gain some exposure to foundational classes like neuroanatomy, in practica under a boarded supervisor, and in research. You don't have to do research in the area, but I think it is helpful to gain some exposure and maybe submit an abstract/poster to one of the main neuropsych conferences.

There are "re-specialization" programs for non-clinical/licensed psychologists, which are offered for people who trained in other areas of psychology (e.g. experimental) and they want to go back and be a licensed clinical psychologist. Those programs generally require at least two years of classes and practica, internship, and post-doc…so they are a very large commitment when you consider the person has already completed a Ph.D. in the field of psychology.

The only "add-on" program for neuro I know of is Fielding, and I would not recommend them…..ever. Others may disagree, but I have seen a number of CVs from Fielding graduates and they have not compared favorably to applicants who followed the Houston Guidelines. The expectation in the field is to be board eligible (and eventually get boarded), so you'll want to make sure whatever path you take lines up with the HG or you'll be at a serious disadvantage when it comes to employment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The Houston Guidelines provide a few different paths for training in neuropsychology. In general, programs that push, "concentrations"/"tracks"/"specializations" at the graduate level are doing so primarily for marketing. A neuropsychologist is first a clinical psychologist, so a solid foundation of training is what is required at the doctoral level. Exposure to graduate courses, practica, and supervision/mentorship at the doctoral level is preferred, though I'd STRONGLY caution against programs that push neuro (or any other specialized) training as the focal point during doctoral training because there is a risk to be too specialized at the detriment of foundational training. Ideally a student will gain some exposure to foundational classes like neuroanatomy, in practica under a boarded supervisor, and in research. You don't have to do research in the area, but I think it is helpful to gain some exposure and maybe submit an abstract/poster to one of the main neuropsych conferences.

There are "re-specialization" programs for non-clinical/licensed psychologists, which are offered for people who trained in other areas of psychology (e.g. experimental) and they want to go back and be a licensed clinical psychologist. Those programs generally require at least two years of classes and practica, internship, and post-doc…so they are a very large commitment when you consider the person has already completed a Ph.D. in the field of psychology.

The only "add-on" program for neuro I know of is Fielding, and I would not recommend them…..ever. Others may disagree, but I have seen a number of CVs from Fielding graduates and they have not compared favorably to applicants who followed the Houston Guidelines. The expectation in the field is to be board eligible (and eventually get boarded), so you'll want to make sure whatever path you take lines up with the HG or you'll be at a serious disadvantage when it comes to employment.[/QU

The only "add-on" program for neuro I know of is Fielding, and I would not recommend them…..ever. Others may disagree, but I have seen a number of CVs from Fielding graduates and they have not compared favorably to applicants who followed the Houston Guidelines. The expectation in the field is to be board eligible (and eventually get boarded), so you'll want to make sure whatever path you take lines up with the HG or you'll be at a serious disadvantage when it comes to employment.

Thank you so much for your fast response. I was beginning to think these threads were all dated and no longer in use.

Your advice about Fielding made me laugh: earlier today, I was populating a list of neuropsych programs and Fielding's website was one that lasted maybe five seconds before I nope-ed out of there. I'll keep my comments to myself about the appearance of a couple of the instructor photos-- my point being, something about that site in general just seemed a little off compared to most of the other grad program's sites I had browsed.

At any rate, I know for sure that my interests lie in the human brain, and I love anything to do with the central nervous system, although I'm open to all psychology research. I want to be a clinical psychologist for sure, but I also want to study the brain...MRIs...EEGs...etc..all without having to go to med school or become a neuroscientist in the process.

On that note, I'm glad you said something about neuropsych being used as a marketing tool and I appreciate it. My original plan was to make a list of grad schools starting with ones that offered neuropsych programs first, followed by regular clinical psych; however, now I think I'm going to stick with just APA-accredited clinical psych schools.

The problem is, there just isn't enough info out there covering undergrad pathways to neuropsych. I suppose I should have just asked about undergrad pathways to becoming a clinical neuropsychologist rather than asking for "add-ons" to clinical psych school; I just didn't know how to ask the question because I don't understand how it works to become one. I get that one has to become a clinical psychologist PhD/PsyD before anything, and neuropsychology is an advanced training to this. If I'm understanding this correctly, one can select practicums and courses in grad school that cover neuropsych while in most APA accredited clinical psychology schools, is that correct?

I would add that tracks are not universally bad, and I'm sure T4C wasn't suggesting this. It's mostly the professional schools you'll want to evaluate critically. UF, UHouston, Drexel, and UCSD all offer neuropsych tracks. They vary in their generalist training (and people will have their opinions on how ad- or disadvantageous this is), but in the neuropsych world, these programs are renowned.

I would add that tracks are not universally bad, and I'm sure T4C wasn't suggesting this. It's mostly the professional schools you'll want to evaluate critically. UF, UHouston, Drexel, and UCSD all offer neuropsych tracks. They vary in their generalist training (and people will have their opinions on how ad- or disadvantageous this is), but in the neuropsych world, these programs are renowned.

Well said. I indeed meant to be wary of professional schools, as there are top-notch university programs that do offer dedicated faculty and resources (as part of a track), they are just very few and far between. Based on program reputation alone I'd give a serious look at any applicant coming from one of those programs. The vast majority of quality training programs for neuropsych are at clinical programs with neuropsych faculty, though not necessarily offering a track/concentration.

Also, be wary of MS programs in Neuropsychology (or Forensics), as they seem to be popping up over the past few years. Legit universities have offered them too (as a way to increase revenue and fund their Ph.D. programs), but don't be fooled about their usefulness. A research assistance position or being a psychometrician for a year or two would be far more beneficial….in addition to not costing $20k+.

Thank you so much for your fast response. I was beginning to think these threads were all dated and no longer in use.

Your advice about Fielding made me laugh: earlier today, I was populating a list of neuropsych programs and Fielding's website was one that lasted maybe five seconds before I nope-ed out of there. I'll keep my comments to myself about the appearance of a couple of the instructor photos-- my point being, something about that site in general just seemed a little off compared to most of the other grad program's sites I had browsed.

At any rate, I know for sure that my interests lie in the human brain, and I love anything to do with the central nervous system, although I'm open to all psychology research. I want to be a clinical psychologist for sure, but I also want to study the brain...MRIs...EEGs...etc..all without having to go to med school or become a neuroscientist in the process.

On that note, I'm glad you said something about neuropsych being used as a marketing tool and I appreciate it. My original plan was to make a list of grad schools starting with ones that offered neuropsych programs first, followed by regular clinical psych; however, now I think I'm going to stick with just APA-accredited clinical psych schools.

The problem is, there just isn't enough info out there covering undergrad pathways to neuropsych. I suppose I should have just asked about undergrad pathways to becoming a clinical neuropsychologist rather than asking for "add-ons" to clinical psych school; I just didn't know how to ask the question because I don't understand how it works to become one. I get that one has to become a clinical psychologist PhD/PsyD before anything, and neuropsychology is an advanced training to this. If I'm understanding this correctly, one can select practicums and courses in grad school that cover neuropsych while in most APA accredited clinical psychology schools, is that correct?

Well said. I indeed meant to be wary of professional schools, as there are top-notch university programs that do offer dedicated faculty and resources (as part of a track), they are just very few and far between. Based on program reputation alone I'd give a serious look at any applicant coming from one of those programs. The vast majority of quality training programs for neuropsych are at clinical programs with neuropsych faculty, though not necessarily offering a track/concentration.

Also, be wary of MS programs in Neuropsychology (or Forensics), as they seem to be popping up over the past few years. Legit universities have offered them too (as a way to increase revenue and fund their Ph.D. programs), but don't be fooled about their usefulness. A research assistance position or being a psychometrician for a year or two would be far more beneficial….in addition to not costing $20k+.

Also, based on my past experience as a BS research assistant/psychometrician, these types of degrees (unless used as a means to gaining entry to a PhD program) prepare graduates for the same types of jobs they would have been eligible for with their bachelors degree with maybe a few $$k more per year.