Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KEC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What neuroscience books are best? How about Haines' Neuroanatomy Atlas? How about Purves' Neuroscience? BRS vs. High Yield?

Members don't see this ad.

KEC said:
What neuroscience books are best? How about Haines' Neuroanatomy Atlas? How about Purves' Neuroscience? BRS vs. High Yield?
Blumenfeld is good - very clinically oriented

I like Haines atlas better than Purves and High Yield seems sufficient for review. It is very clear and concise. The only downfall is there are no questions at the end of the chapters like in BRS so if you are looking for questions, you might prefer BRS.

Members don't see this ad :)
skicu said:
I like Haines atlas better than Purves and High Yield seems sufficient for review. It is very clear and concise. The only downfall is there are no questions at the end of the chapters like in BRS so if you are looking for questions, you might prefer BRS.
Although I havn't used it yet, Haines has a companion review book (cover looks a lot like the atlas cover) that has 800+ review questions. The review book parallels/crossreferences the textbook as well. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...83278/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-6059098-0374466

Try Nolte's "The Human Brain" and the Netter atlas isn't bad.

for a neuroanatomy atlas go with haines. for a good book, go with either kandel or purves.

Textbook: Principles of Neural Science 4th ed. Eric Kandel--By far the best (the Robbins of Neuro) :)
Atlas: Haines and Nolte, Netter---ehhhh, its's okay
Review: Hi Yield--hands down

Is High Yield good for the neuro shelf? what about First Aid, is it shelf-worthy?

KEC said:

I didn't like Purves much... the organization wasn't the best and the content was sometimes too detailed or too basic compared to our lectures.

clinical neuro by young and young is good

Blumenfeld

Haine's Atlas

Haine's Neuroscience Text

BRS is a good quick reference

At KU, they recommend Clinical Neuroanatomy by Waxman. We just started neuro and I haven't read it much, but it seems to be useful. not too big and it has questions and cases. Also, anyone used the Pretest Neuroscience? any opinions?

thanks

TrojanDoctor said:
anyone used the Pretest Neuroscience? any opinions?

thanks
I've poked around in it. Not quite comprehensive enough for my course, but we are one of the last schools with a full semester of neuro, so it gets pretty in depth. I plan to use it for the shelf though.

medman12677 said:
Textbook: Principles of Neural Science 4th ed. Eric Kandel

This is the neuroscience bible. While it's not nearly as clinical as others, it's an invaluable resource--especially since it is somehow able to be both thorough and easy-to-understand at the same time.