Neurosurgeon Career Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alpha2716

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really have a deep interest in surgery especially neurosurgery. I would love to do the job. But I also love family. I would need to be able to spend time with my family and children everyday and neurosurgery has a bad rap for not being able to do that. If I were in a mid sized city would it be possible to: see and spend a good amount of time with my children everyday, occasionaly go hunting or to a college football game on a weekend, occasionally go to church. If I just can't do this with neurosurgery is there any other surgical sub specialty I could go into that would be able to meet these accomidations. P.S remember I said in a mid sized city at a mid sized hospital. One with like 200 or so beds. Basically at a hospital like this. http://www.practicelink.com/jobs/377700/physician/neurological-surgery/alabama/flowers-hospital/

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to the Neurosurgery Forum.

There is no reason you can't have a surgical career, NSGY or otherwise, and not have a family and spend the occasional weekend hunting (if your disability insurer allows it) and going to college football games. You've been watching too many tv shows.

Moving to the Neurosurgery Forum.

There is no reason you can't have a surgical career, NSGY or otherwise, and not have a family and spend the occasional weekend hunting (if your disability insurer allows it) and going to college football games. You've been watching too many tv shows.

Well I know that might sound fantasy like to you but I live in the small town south and these types of things areally important to us down here. We like to spend time with our families and have good family values.So no I have not been "watching to many TV shows." Just because someone has different hobbies and life practices than you doesn't mean their way of life is dumb or inferior. And you should respect other beliefs and practices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really have a deep interest in surgery especially neurosurgery. I would love to do the job. But I also love family. I would need to be able to spend time with my family and children everyday and neurosurgery has a bad rap for not being able to do that. If I were in a mid sized city would it be possible to: see and spend a good amount of time with my children everyday, occasionaly go hunting or to a college football game on a weekend, occasionally go to church. If I just can't do this with neurosurgery is there any other surgical sub specialty I could go into that would be able to meet these accomidations. P.S remember I said in a mid sized city at a mid sized hospital. One with like 200 or so beds. Basically at a hospital like this. http://www.practicelink.com/jobs/377700/physician/neurological-surgery/alabama/flowers-hospital/

Also no question is a dumb question if you dont know. Arent we all here to learn and teach. So i dont appreciate your smart comments.

Also no question is a dumb question if you dont know. Arent we all here to learn and teach. So i dont appreciate your smart comments.
I'm afraid you have misinterpreted my response. No insult was meant nor did I say you had a dumb question. I answered your question honestly:

there is no reason you cannot be a surgeon and have outside interests

Reactions: 1 users
Well I know that might sound fantasy like to you but I live in the small town south and these types of things areally important to us down here. We like to spend time with our families and have good family values.So no I have not been "watching to many TV shows." Just because someone has different hobbies and life practices than you doesn't mean their way of life is dumb or inferior. And you should respect other beliefs and practices.
Im not sure where you're getting this impression that family and other hobbies aren't important to me as well. Those things are important to many people, even in the big western cities.

You have completely misconstrued my response and are making implications that are highly inappropriate and incorrect.

Reactions: 2 users
Im not sure where you're getting this impression that family and other hobbies aren't important to me as well. Those things are important to many people, even in the big western cities.

You have completely misconstrued my response and are making implications that are highly inappropriate and incorrect.

I'm sorry. Please excuse me I misinterpreted.

The watching to many TV shows comment was probably referring to how surgeons on TV live at the hospit and have no life.

Reactions: 1 user
The watching to many TV shows comment was probably referring to how surgeons on TV live at the hospit and have no life.

Ok I completely understand now I am so sorry.