Neurosurgery goal: Dartmouth or Case for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearintraining

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am interested in pursuing neurosurgery for residency and am currently in the fortunate position to be able to pick between attending Dartmouth or Case Western for my MD.

Would there be any specific reason to pick one over the other if the intention was neurosurgery?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you looked at the match list for either schools you would have your answer quite easy.

If you looked at the match list for either schools you would have your answer quite easy.

I'm not sure it's all that helpful because the data is limited, biased, class size is different, and it doesn't really tell me what the reputation of the med school with residency programs is like, but what I found was:

CWRU (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Neurological Surgery - 3 + 6 + 8 + 10 (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Loyola, SUNY Upstate, Wake Forest
- Cleveland Clinic, Jefferson, UAlabama, U New Mexico, VCU
- Albany, Case, Baylor, Hopkins, Mayo, North Shore (NY), UWisconsin Madison, UPMC
- Case, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, Indiana, Einstein, Temple, St Josephs (AZ)
(interesting however that the number going into it, and the reputations of the residency seem to have crept up over the years)

Dartmouth (2010-2014)
Neurological Surgery - 4
- BWH, Dartmouth, OHSU, Albany

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems realllllly straightforward to me.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldnt pick the next four years of your life on a specific specialty.
I understand the sentiment and I agree with it; however I'm also not the ave med student, so I think I have a bit better idea Of what I want. Which would you pick anyway ?

I understand the sentiment and I agree with it; however I'm also not the ave med student, so I think I have a bit better idea Of what I want. Which would you pick anyway ?
Probably dartmoutg but I didnt feel that strongly about either other than there were no latin dance clubs near dartmouth and I didnt care for cases preclinical schedule. Go to the place ypu will happier

Reactions: 1 user