Neurosurgery Residency

barsoum.michael

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I've been really interested in neurosurgery since shadowing a neurosurgeon for a while since high school. What can I do to be really competitive? I really want to get into the Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Residency. Please don't troll me.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a medical student?
Hello. I've been really interested in neurosurgery since shadowing a neurosurgeon for a while since high school. What can I do to be really competitive? I really want to get into the Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Residency. Please don't troll me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you're in the wrong place.

Reactions: 1 user
"Please don't troll me" then says he wants to be a John Hopkin's Neurosurgeon and then says he's been shadowing a neurosurgeon for a while. Hmm.. wouldn't you think you'd be smart enough to ask the Neurosurgeon you shadow?

Your post history indicates you are a senior in high school... this is a forum for medical students (I'm not trying to be mean, but this is the wrong forum to post these kinds of inquiries).

There's nothing wrong with having an interest in neurosurgery, but proclaiming your intent to go into it (let alone a single program you read about in Ben Carson's Gifted Hands) before you've even started undergrad is going to get you laughed at. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, the first step is to get into the best medical school possible. Read the faqs in the pre-allo section.

Ask this question after becoming a medical student.

The answer is simple, however. Do research. Do well on step 1 and 2 CK. Try to go to a school with a neurosurgery department. Find attending and resident mentors in neurosurgery. Get GOOD LORs, LORs and who you know are massive in neurosurgery due to the extremely small community.

But really, I wouldn't worry about this until starting school. Only 1/4 of the people in my class who initially were gung-ho about neurosurgery are going to be applying as fourth years. Many people don't realize how absolutely grueling the residency is and it is also not a cush lifestyle post-residency. Many people do a rotation on neurosurgery and find they hate it because of the long surgeries and poor patient outcomes relative to other surgical fields except CT. Many people self-select out due to how difficult the training is, the reality is you might too. I was deadset on nsgy before medical school but still kept an open mind before rotating on the service as a 3rd year. You don't want to be stuck in something this difficult, you must be driven yet happy in it.

Ask this question after becoming a medical student.

The answer is simple, however. Do research. Do well on step 1 and 2 CK. Try to go to a school with a neurosurgery department. Finds attending and resident mentors. Get GOOD LORs, LORs and who you know are massive in neurosurgery due to the extremely small community.

But really, I wouldn't worry about this until starting school. Only 1/4 of the people in my class who initially were gung-ho about neurosurgery are going to be applying as fourth years. Many people don't realize how absolutely grueling the residency is and it is also not a cush lifestyle post-residency. Many people self-select out due how difficult the training is, the reality is you might too.

Do you happen to know what the attrition rate is?

Do you happen to know what the attrition rate is?
I have been told by attendings/residents if you averaged ALL programs it would be 10-20%. There is for sure more attrition at some programs compared to others. I don't have a written source for this just word of mouth.

Reactions: 1 user