Neurosurgery training in Germany?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

userguide

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I am a general practioner in Turkey and want to specialize in Neurosurgery in Germany.Is Germany good at Neurosurgery and Neuroscience?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it's good. Practicing Neurosurgery is not that easy though. You will first need to get your degree recognized. Since your qualification is a non-EU one, you will have to take a medical assessment test in German (which is based on all clinical subjects in medical school.) Then you have to attain language proficiency (B2, but ideally C1+). After that, you have to start applying for neurosurgery programs (specialty training takes anywere from 6-8 years.)

This procedure can take anywhere from 8 months to 1 1/2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that we(Non-EU) dont need an assessment test anymore.Are you sure about that?
And also which universities are good at neurosurgey training?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I know that applies to some countries but not all. So just check up once again if your degree is recognized. If it is, that makes it that much less complicated.

Regarding universities good for training, I mentioned this in other posts but non-German medical graduates usually can't get into university hospitals (which in general are the best barring their location in big cities) unless they have an impressive CV (research, highly proficient in German, clinical attachments with doctors, neurosurgeons in this case, in Germany, and even contacts.)

Most non-German medical students usually get into rural hospitals/clinics/rehabilitations centers/nursing homes. The problem with this is that it can take longer to finish training programs (especially surgical ones) as you have to go to different hospitals to do procedures (because you won't be able to do all procedures in one small rural hospital just because they don't get many cases), which is a requirement to sit the Facharztprufung (specialty training final exam.)

So essentially, non-German medical graduates don't really get a choice of hospitals for specialty training. One just takes what one gets.

Well, I know that applies to some countries but not all. So just check up once again if your degree is recognized. If it is, that makes it that much less complicated.

Regarding universities good for training, I mentioned this in other posts but non-German medical graduates usually can't get into university hospitals (which in general are the best barring their location in big cities) unless they have an impressive CV (research, highly proficient in German, clinical attachments with doctors, neurosurgeons in this case, in Germany, and even contacts.)

Most non-German medical students usually get into rural hospitals/clinics/rehabilitations centers/nursing homes. The problem with this is that it can take longer to finish training programs (especially surgical ones) as you have to go to different hospitals to do procedures (because you won't be able to do all procedures in one small rural hospital just because they don't get many cases), which is a requirement to sit the Facharztprufung (specialty training final exam.)

So essentially, non-German medical graduates don't really get a choice of hospitals for specialty training. One just takes what one gets.
I actually want to live in Sweden,but it is highly competitive there to be a Neurosurgery resident.Germany is easier to do I suppose.Do you suggest me to do Neurosurgery training in home(Turkey) then apply to work in Sweden?Is it possible?

Userguide, I would recommend instead that you try for Germany, if you don't get in, you can always go back to your home country. If your goal is to pursue your training in Europe, then you should start off with some country in Europe (preferably one that's part of the EU.)

Reactions: 1 user