Neurosurgery vs. Orthopedic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineNewb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there guys, this question is open to all who want to answer, but aimed mainly towards the experienced in one of these fields.

Okay, so cutting to the chase. I was thinking about two fields of surgery, Neurosurgery and Orthopedic Surgery. I did the calculations and the average person would be 32 after completing schooling for Orthopedic Surgery. The average person completing schooling for Neurosurgery would be at least 38! Maybe settling for less money would be worth going Orthopedic seeing as how I don't want to spend the extra 6 years of my life just to be even more filthy rich.

I don't know weather to start enjoying my life as a very successful 32 year old with some spare time on my hands, or start enjoying my life as one of the most successful 38 year olds with no time on my hands?

I guess to sum it up even better, are Neurosurgeons on call more than Orthopedic Surgeons? And also, if Orthopedic Surgeons make so much money anyways, why become a Neurosurgeon?

Is it worth the extra 6 years of my life to go into Neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
am i missing something? last time i checked, ortho was 5 and neuro was 7. added to that many orthos do a fellowship, the difference wouldnt generally be more than 1 to 2 years. somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there guys, this question is open to all who want to answer, but aimed mainly towards the experienced in one of these fields.

Okay, so cutting to the chase. I was thinking about two fields of surgery, Neurosurgery and Orthopedic Surgery. I did the calculations and the average person would be 32 after completing schooling for Orthopedic Surgery. The average person completing schooling for Neurosurgery would be at least 38! Maybe settling for less money would be worth going Orthopedic seeing as how I don't want to spend the extra 6 years of my life just to be even more filthy rich.

I don't know weather to start enjoying my life as a very successful 32 year old with some spare time on my hands, or start enjoying my life as one of the most successful 38 year olds with no time on my hands?

I guess to sum it up even better, are Neurosurgeons on call more than Orthopedic Surgeons? And also, if Orthopedic Surgeons make so much money anyways, why become a Neurosurgeon?

Is it worth the extra 6 years of my life to go into Neurosurgery?

:laugh: People do sometimes choose to do ortho over neuro or neuro over ortho for reasons other than money.

With money as your chief motivating factor, I'm predicting you'll be going into...rads or derm.

am i missing something? last time i checked, ortho was 5 and neuro was 7. added to that many orthos do a fellowship, the difference wouldnt generally be more than 1 to 2 years. somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Well, from the research I have found, Orthopedic Surgery will take 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of medical school, about 1 year doing intenships, a 4 year residency, and a year for fellowship.

On the other hand, Neurosurgeons can generally go through residency 2-4 more years than an Orthopedic Surgeon. On top of that, their fellowship is on average 2 more years.

So as far as my inept adding skills can take me, I estimate that Neurosurgery would take approximately 6 more years of schooling to complete.

For the love of neurosurgery. It really does happen every once in a while.

Yes, I am sure. Actually, that is one of the reasons why I was considering making my entire life involved around it. Hence my post here at this forum about it.

Your calculations are wrong.

Ortho and Neurosurgery residencies are not 6 years different in length. As noted above, if you add on an Ortho fellowship they are the same length.

I am sure you are much more experienced in this field than I. I really do appreciate your response. Would you please kindly explain how far off my research stated earlier in my post has taken me?
Edit: I apologize for the possibility of you taking my post as sarcastic. I think you have a great point. Thank you again for the helpful insight.

:laugh: People do sometimes choose to do ortho over neuro or neuro over ortho for reasons other than money.

With money as your chief motivating factor, I'm predicting you'll be going into...rads or derm.

Actually, both radiology, and dermatology is boring to me. I would much rather have the responsibility of a Neurosurgeon, or the involvement and knowledge of anatomy of an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Believe it or not, money is not at all the chief motivating factor. I guess you just didn't read my original post open minded enough. Here let me help open your mind a little bit:

"Maybe settling for less money would be worth going Orthopedic seeing as how I don't want to spend the extra 6 years of my life just to be even more filthy rich."

Here, I demonstrate that everyone loves money, yes it is true that we all do. But this does not have anything to do with my choice of these two careers. Actually, as a matter of fact this post indicates greatly that money is NOT my chief motivating factor, seeing as how I am willing to become an Orthopedic Surgeon even considering the salary break. Just to prove my point further (using George Carlin's flawless logic style), if money was my only motivation, wouldn't I have just pre-determined that I was going to become a Neurosurgeon?

Sorry man, your forum bullying has ended now. :)

Just to fully explain. I said:

"Is it worth the extra 6 years of my life to go into Neurosurgery?"

This meant (if you were open minded) that I was not sure if:
A. The added 6 years of school was worth it
B. The tons less alone time was worth it
C. The depression accompanied by killing multiple people a year was worth it
D. The thought of cranial specific work was worth it

Lastly, please do not post on my thread unless you are truly trying to help me decide. Thank you and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Well, from the research I have found, Orthopedic Surgery will take 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of medical school, about 1 year doing intenships, a 4 year residency, and a year for fellowship.

On the other hand, Neurosurgeons can generally go through residency 2-4 more years than an Orthopedic Surgeon. On top of that, their fellowship is on average 2 more years.
I am sure you are much more experienced in this field than I. I really do appreciate your response. Would you please kindly explain how far off my research stated earlier in my post has taken me?

Both Orthopedics and Neurosurgery require 4 years of undergraduate and medical schooling. Both require an internship which is generally bunded into the residency training.

Orthopedics is 5 years in length.

Neurosurgery is 6 years in length and there are some 7 year programs with a required year of research. Only 6 years are needed to be BE in Nsgy.

Some fellowships are longer, some are shorter.

Some residents choose to spend time in the lab.

But in the end, Ortho is a minimum of 5 years after medical school without fellowship training and Neurosurg is a minimum of 6 years without fellowship training.

Its only 1 year difference. If you choose to do a lengthy Neurosurg fellowship over not doing an Ortho fellowship, then there is possibility of it being 3 years longer (for a 2 year fellowship) or even 4 years longer if you go to a program with a mandatory 7 year Nsgy residency. But again, you were making a blanket statement that to be a Neurosurgeon, takes 6 more years than to be an Orthopod, which is incorrect.

You can be either without the advanced fellowship training.

Both Orthopedics and Neurosurgery require 4 years of undergraduate and medical schooling. Both require an internship which is generally bunded into the residency training.

Orthopedics is 5 years in length.

Neurosurgery is 6 years in length and there are some 7 year programs with a required year of research. Only 6 years are needed to be BE in Nsgy.

Some fellowships are longer, some are shorter.

Some residents choose to spend time in the lab.

But in the end, Ortho is a minimum of 5 years after medical school without fellowship training and Neurosurg is a minimum of 6 years without fellowship training.

Its only 1 year difference. If you choose to do a lengthy Neurosurg fellowship over not doing an Ortho fellowship, then there is possibility of it being 3 years longer (for a 2 year fellowship) or even 4 years longer if you go to a program with a mandatory 7 year Nsgy residency. But again, you were making a blanket statement that to be a Neurosurgeon, takes 6 more years than to be an Orthopod, which is incorrect.

You can be either without the advanced fellowship training.

Anyone need to learn about a model response, learn from this man. Tons of information in this post, and even down to the level of a pre-medical student. Didn't you guys know that not all of us know everything......yet? :laugh:

Thanks again WS. Can you please lock this thread? I feel it was a mistake on my part, as I didn't find all of the nooks and crannies in this giant forum. I am used to small forums and the search function returns many less results. You just need to look a little harder and that I did and it answered all of the unanswered questions here.

This thread helped a lot anyways, so I do not consider it a complete failure :D

It's "whether" not "weather."

Based on your motivation ($$$), not sure either ortho or neurosurg is for you. You should probably get out of medicine now, while you can.

Actually, both radiology, and dermatology is boring to me. I would much rather have the responsibility of a Neurosurgeon, or the involvement and knowledge of anatomy of an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Well, I'm ortho, and I have responsibility. I think most neurosurgeons know anatomy too.

Considering your superficial reasons for the two specialties, I'd consider keeping an open mind about medical specialties just n case neither turns out what you want in life.

BTW, you don't make that much more money in neurosurgery, if any.

Anyone need to learn about a model response, learn from this man. Tons of information in this post, and even down to the level of a pre-medical student. Didn't you guys know that not all of us know everything......yet? :laugh:

Its WOman actually, but I'd suggest not insulting your readers as it doesn't engender further responses.

Thanks again WS. Can you please lock this thread? I feel it was a mistake on my part, as I didn't find all of the nooks and crannies in this giant forum. I am used to small forums and the search function returns many less results. You just need to look a little harder and that I did and it answered all of the unanswered questions here.

This thread helped a lot anyways, so I do not consider it a complete failure :D

I see no need to lock the thread as others may find some useful information and wish to contribute. Glad you found the information you needed. Best of luck to you.

So as far as my inept adding skills can take me, I estimate that Neurosurgery would take approximately 6 more years of schooling to complete.

Yes, I am sure. Actually, that is one of the reasons why I was considering making my entire life involved around it. Hence my post here at this forum about it.

Edit: I apologize for the possibility of you taking my post as sarcastic. I think you have a great point. Thank you again for the helpful insight.

Believe it or not, money is not at all the chief motivating factor. I guess you just didn't read my original post open minded enough. Here let me help open your mind a little bit:

"Maybe settling for less money would be worth going Orthopedic seeing as how I don't want to spend the extra 6 years of my life just to be even more filthy rich."

Here, I demonstrate that everyone loves money, yes it is true that we all do. But this does not have anything to do with my choice of these two careers. Actually, as a matter of fact this post indicates greatly that money is NOT my chief motivating factor, seeing as how I am willing to become an Orthopedic Surgeon even considering the salary break. Just to prove my point further (using George Carlin's flawless logic style), if money was my only motivation, wouldn't I have just pre-determined that I was going to become a Neurosurgeon?

Sorry man, your forum bullying has ended now. :)

Just to fully explain. I said:

"Is it worth the extra 6 years of my life to go into Neurosurgery?"

This meant (if you were open minded) that I was not sure if:
A. The added 6 years of school was worth it
B. The tons less alone time was worth it
C. The depression accompanied by killing multiple people a year was worth it
D. The thought of cranial specific work was worth it

Lastly, please do not post on my thread unless you are truly trying to help me decide. Thank you and have a nice day.

Again, what an appropriate username.

You named as your considerations two of the highest paid specialities in all of medicine. I'm surprised you didn't throw in PRS as well, just because.

Other than the fact that they are both surgical, they are not all that similar. For one thing, neurosurgery tends to be more "geeky" with tons of MD/PhDs and the like and ortho tends to be more "jocky." Hard bones and soft brain matter are not that similar either. Of course there are overlaps like spine, but on the whole the only similarities I see are surgery and $$$.

And, of course, radiology has an equal, if not greater, overall knowledge of book anatomy than ortho or neuro.

You're just another cocky pre-med. Get over yourself.

Again, what an appropriate username.

You named as your considerations two of the highest paid specialities in all of medicine. I'm surprised you didn't throw in PRS as well, just because.

Other than the fact that they are both surgical, they are not all that similar. For one thing, neurosurgery tends to be more "geeky" with tons of MD/PhDs and the like and ortho tends to be more "jocky." Hard bones and soft brain matter are not that similar either. Of course there are overlaps like spine, but on the whole the only similarities I see are surgery and $$$.

And, of course, radiology has an equal, if not greater, overall knowledge of book anatomy than ortho or neuro.

You're just another cocky pre-med. Get over yourself.

Plenty of people have difficulty choosing b/t these 2 fields (myself included)... and the $ has nothing to do with it.

If you're in medicine for the $:
1) You're stupid
2) Look into derm or radiology
3) See #1

38?? My calculations for a neurosurgeon out of training is 32-33??

I don't think people are being fair to mednewb. I think what he is planning on doing is quite noble. He is obviously concerned more about patient welfare than money by being so willing to take such a pay hit. Instead of wasting his life in a "10 year residency", he is willing to take a huge pay cut in exchange for more playtime.

With respect to WS and her request for constructive advice: I have some great words of wisdom to impart to the OP. First if you're going to do "research" make sure it's complete. I don't know where you gathered your information, but it sounds like it came from one source that lead you astray, and that you took as concrete truth. Being mistaken and asking for advice is no big deal, it's what this forum is here for as everyone has asked a question at one time or another on here.

This leads me to my next point, you do not need to be condescending to any med students, residents, attendings, etc. on this forum as they are already where you wish to be one day. They take time out of their busy day to respond to your post. No matter what specialty you go into you're going to have tremendous responsibility, which is why all doctors are covered under malpractice insurance. If you have a hard time controlling yourself on here, you will hate life in your clerkship and residency (if you're that lucky) as attendings will not deal with you and just give you scut work to do. In short, be respectful on the forum, otherwise you may run the risk of sounding ignorant when competing against posters who know more than you do.

If you think these responses were bad, just thank your lucky stars JAD didn't get on this post and rip you a new stoma.

Last edited: