Never heard of SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tensyle

3 more months
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was at one of my interviews, and I mentioned something about SDN, and all the other 10 people in my group just sat there blinking, except for one person who knew what I was talking about.

:confused: How do you not know SDN? haha i mean, if you do a search for any topic medical related, most of the time you get a search result linked to SDN. I had to explain to them what SDN was!

I thought this was funny so I wanted to share :)

Members don't see this ad.

This doesn't surprise me much. Among my classmates, there seem to be four groupings of premed knowledge:

1. My dad/mom/uncle/neighbor is a physician and is mentoring me.
2. I had one advising appointment sophomore year and am taking it as gospel.
3. I've given up on med school because it's too hard to understand.
4. (The rest of us) I am paranoid, have OCD, and need ALL THE INFORMATION NOW.

This doesn't surprise me much. Among my classmates, there seem to be four groupings of premed knowledge:

LOL! Yeah, I know all those people, too, and I definitely fall into category 4! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds about right, I know when I started looking into med school seriously I wanted to know everything right from the start. I had major information overload.
Category 4 for me also!

Oh so true. This doesnt surprise me either. Some people are like..... "wait, what was that website again???" :laugh:

I was at one of my interviews, and I mentioned something about SDN, and all the other 10 people in my group just sat there blinking, except for one person who knew what I was talking about.

:confused: How do you not know SDN? haha i mean, if you do a search for any topic medical related, most of the time you get a search result linked to SDN. I had to explain to them what SDN was!

I thought this was funny so I wanted to share :)

That's how I found out about it. Plus, almost every pre-med I know has at least heard of SDN!!

I have seen this site referenced on med school websites under "admissions". They actually suggest this place.

Had kind of the same experience...at an interview I was nonchalantly talking about SDN and I got a lot of blank stares. A couple of people had looked at the site though.

Considering the nature of many of the things I've said (mostly in the Lounge), hopefully most adcoms don't know about SDN. And if they do, hopefully they can't connect Meatwad with the "real," me. I don't think I could even get into an online school at that point.

At one of my interviews, I was pleased to meet a few regular SDN posters :)

Plus, I have a few real-life friends now that I initially "met" on SDN :D

However, there are faculty members of all different kinds of programs (not just MD/DO) that surf through SDN, and some post pretty regularly under pseudonyms or not-so-pseudonyms. Some are really nice and helpful, and realize the net is a place to blow steam as well as gather info. Some are just plain nuts and will PM you crazy things if they don't like what you're saying :eek:

SDN can be as anonymous as you want it to be. My info is fairly descriptive, although my address/phone is unlisted. If I post something mean, it's by accident, not because I intended it that way. You all can see I've got a high enough post count and still accepted to med school, so no worries.

Unless you're Meatwad :smuggrin:

J/k - luv ya! :love:

I've already been called out. At my LECOM-B interview, some guy comes up to us and says "who's the guy from Texas?"

I identified myself. I figured he was either a student or a faculty member from TX who had maybe heard that they were getting someone from his old school to come in and interview, and he just wanted to say hi (or maybe an A&M/OU grad showing up for some good-natured trash talk). Then he said something about my posts. I thought it was funny.

I've already been called out. At my LECOM-B interview, some guy comes up to us and says "who's the guy from Texas?"

I identified myself. I figured he was either a student or a faculty member from TX who had maybe heard that they were getting someone from his old school to come in and interview, and he just wanted to say hi (or maybe an A&M/OU grad showing up for some good-natured trash talk). Then he said something about my posts. I thought it was funny.

you knew all this beforehand. I'd go so far as to say it was your intention...

i like your posts, your a nice guy but get real....your 6ft5 and posted your pic..it was only going to be a matter of time...actually, it was a brilliant strategy. you got an someone from the school to laugh and you realize their going to go back and say...."all things being equal, lets admit that guy..he's funny"

At interviews do you guys notice people talk about sdn but never say their names? I have noticed it and I think its funny.

There was just a huge thread in the Pre-Allo forums about being careful what you say on SDN because of Admins and Med Students reading it ... kinda made me rethink every single thing I have ever said on SDN!!! :scared:

hehhehehe

It seems weird to everyone here because you're all absorbed in the SDN world :). After coming to this website and seeing how expansive it is, I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't find out until my fourth year as a pre-med student. Now, I'm surprised I even made it that far without this community of fellow pre-meders. I never heard anyone at my school (small liberal arts college in CA) even mention SDN, and I was even the founder and president of our Pre-Med Club! Ouch. I guess I was living under a rock all those years. I found out through a conversation during lunch with a UCLA med student last summer. I was a Summer Student Scholar (8 week pre-med internship at a county hospital) and when the girl told me about SDN, her eyes got huge and she acted like I had discovered the keys to the universe. Of course now I act the same way when people ask me about SDN!:laugh: