New Air Force HPSP information for upcoming applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midman19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My recruiter sent me this new information regarding the upcoming applicant cycle:

The 4 year scholarship is now open to apply for this upcoming SEPTEMBER, and a letter of acceptance is NOT required. If you were told you had to wait till December 1st for your acceptance letter, that is no longer true.

The second change is, there is now a 2 year scholarship. In the past, only the 3 and 4 year options were available. This is the first time in recent history the Air Force has offered a 2 year scholarship. That means if you applied for the 3 year scholarship and were not selected, you have another opportunity.

Hope this benefits somebody out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My recruiter sent me this new information regarding the upcoming applicant cycle:

The 4 year scholarship is now open to apply for this upcoming SEPTEMBER, and a letter of acceptance is NOT required. If you were told you had to wait till December 1st for your acceptance letter, that is no longer true.

The second change is, there is now a 2 year scholarship. In the past, only the 3 and 4 year options were available. This is the first time in recent history the Air Force has offered a 2 year scholarship. That means if you applied for the 3 year scholarship and were not selected, you have another opportunity.

Hope this benefits somebody out there!

Sorry to ask but my Army recruiter told me the military fiscal year is from October, this year - October, next year thus the soonest to apply will be in october.

September of this year still belongs to 2014-2015 fiscal year but not 2015-2016 fiscal year (scholarship must be applied within the year it is expected to be granted)

My guess is that you get your stuff to the Air Force recruiter in September so that you can have everything ready to submit in October. I know last year I turned my stuff in about a month before the boards...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you apply directly for the 2 year or is it only provided as an option for those who apply for 3 years and didn't get it?

I'm not positive on that, my guess is that if you only want the two year, you wait til your second year of dental school to apply for it.

Thanks for sharing, @lanzo .

Any word on the number of 4 years that will be available?

Thanks for sharing, @lanzo .

Any word on the number of 4 years that will be available?
Don't know. I assume it will be around 15 because thats what it has been for the last few years.

Don't know. I assume it will be around 15 because thats what it has been for the last few years.

Huh- interesting that they are opening up 2-years but not increasing the number of 4-years. Looks like they have funding for at least a few more 4-years. Could it be b/c someone dropped out in the 3rd year of dental school, and they project a need for a dentist in 2 years?

Huh- interesting that they are opening up 2-years but not increasing the number of 4-years. Looks like they have funding for at least a few more 4-years. Could it be b/c someone dropped out in the 3rd year of dental school, and they project a need for a dentist in 2 years?
My guess is that they are just projecting a greater need altogether in the coming years and so it seems likely they will increase 4 years too

My guess is that they are just projecting a greater need altogether in the coming years and so it seems likely they will increase 4 years too

Well well...looks like you may be my commanding officer after all :p

I did not want to start a new thread for my AF related question. So, I am just going to post it in here since it is relevant. Can I join the AF without the option of the scholarship and still have the same benefits of the scholarship applied to me? Also, I've submitted my AADSAS appy on 06/20th/2015 for the 2015-2016 cycle. Is it too late to be talking to a recruiter and discuss my options. Is there a selective advantage to a second language speaking applicants? I am extremely serious about the AF. Thanks for any contribution. Your input is highly valued!

I did not want to start a new thread for my AF related question. So, I am just going to post it in here since it is relevant. Can I join the AF without the option of the scholarship and still have the same benefits of the scholarship applied to me? Also, I've submitted my AADSAS appy on 06/20th/2015 for the 2015-2016 cycle. Is it too late to be talking to a recruiter and discuss my options. Is there a selective advantage to a second language speaking applicants? I am extremely serious about the AF. Thanks for any contribution. Your input is highly valued!

It's late, but not too late from what others have said. Are your stats in range for the scholarship? I don't think you automatically get the scholarship just because you are in the military. There is the GI bill but that is only after you have served enough years.

My stats are not really glamorous, oGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.1 and I am waiting to take the DAT! Let's say I got the score for the DAT, what's your recommendations will then be in joining AF? Do I have to be extremely competitive to get the scholarship? Or can I join without the burden of having to get the scholarship? Sorry for the questions, the recruiter just don't respond when I email them!

My stats are not really glamorous, oGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.1 and I am waiting to take the DAT! Let's say I got the score for the DAT, what's your recommendations will then be in joining AF? Do I have to be extremely competitive to get the scholarship? Or can I join without the burden of having to get the scholarship? Sorry for the questions, the recruiter just don't respond when I email them!

I'd post your questions here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/military-dentistry.178/ they will have better info for you.

I'm new to this website, can someone teach me how to post a question?

I am a little confused what you mean by joining the Air Force without getting the scholarship? Do you mean that you want to just get grandfathered in to them paying for your school because you are already part of the Air Force and that you don't want to compete for the scholarship? If so, I think that if you are enlisted for a few years before dental school then you maybe have a higher chance of getting the scholarship with lower stats. I am pretty sure, however, that you must still apply for the scholarship. The scholarship is very competitive, with only 12-15 spots each year for the 4 year scholarship. There are maybe 60 or 70 for the 3 year scholarship and some more for the 2 year scholarship. To be brutally honest, I think your GPA is too low to be competitive for the Air Force. There are people with 3.9 GPAs being denied. Not to worry though, Army and Navy also offer scholarships and they aren't as competitive. I would definitely recommend looking into those. They have more spots to fill and therefore aren't quite as picky. Good luck, hopefully that answered your question.

Okay, here is a more comprehensible question:Is there a way to get into any military branch not through a scholarship and still have the same benefits as if I am having a scholarship? You answered my question but partially.Thank you for your input though. Kindly

Okay, here is a more comprehensible question:Is there a way to get into any military branch not through a scholarship and still have the same benefits as if I am having a scholarship? You answered my question but partially.Thank you for your input though. Kindly

As far as I know, no, there is no way to be an active military member and get the dental scholarship without applying for the scholarship. You either need to apply for the scholarship, and go to dental school then serve your time after you are done or enlist in the AF, serve enough years to qualify for the GI bill, then go to dental school after you are done. I think there is some active duty tuition assistance but you wouldn't be able to go to school full time on that. Your stats are pretty low for AF consideration for the scholarship but I'd still apply. I'd call your recruiter and stop emailing. If you can't get ahold of the recruiter, call another and at least get your questions asked.

If you'd be up for joining the Navy, they do have a program called the HSCP.

Short info
"HSCP provides anywhere from $157,000 to $269,000 while finishing medical school, dental school or qualifying postgraduate school. That includes a monthly salary and housing allowance from $3,280 to $5,610 for up to 48 months of your program (housing allowance may vary depending upon location).

Note that it’s also possible to get military pay and additional benefits that are competitive with many entry-level management positions for up to 24 months while still in school for some master’s programs and for up to 36 months for various Ph.D. programs."

With this program, the time you spend in dental school DOES count toward retirement and pay, unlike the time spent in dental school under the HPSP.

Also, if you go to a state school, it makes it very possible for you to graduate close to or completely debt-free...which is exactly what the HPSP would do for you.

It's much more suited for active duty personnel....if you have 12 years of service already, you do HSCP, graduate from a 4-year school, do your 4-year payback, and collect your pension for life.

Source: http://www.navy.com/joining/benefits/education-opportunities/graduate-professional.html#specialized