New Applicants - PLEASE READ!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will definitely come back to this thread over and over again for reference. Thanks so much! I'm new, and this will help much! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

There is not evaluation form. There is a matching form that you create when the cycle opens. You send that with the type letter of evaluation signed by the recommender.

Right, but I think thats only if you request the LOE's submitted via hardcopy. If it is sent in electronically, I'm pretty sure you don't need any additional form.

Just to be clear-

Does it matter if prospective dental schools receive your DAT scores/admission costs before your AADSAS application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, but I think thats only if you request the LOE's submitted via hardcopy. If it is sent in electronically, I'm pretty sure you don't need any additional form.

I was not aware of that option. I stand corrected.

Hey I'm writing my DAT on Aug 25th - whaddaya guys think? Too late?

thx, 2nd thread i read here after regging.

Once GPA is verified, how long does it take for final processing before mailouts (on average)?

Hey!

thanks for that post - especially the 'www.predents.com' site..on that site, do you know the difference between "Number of Applicants (~2000 range)" and "Applied (~100 range)"

Lateness for applying:
There really is no guidelines for when it is too late to apply. Every year is different. It is also dependent of many factors. For example, if you have good DAT and good GPA including dental experience/shadowing hours you could apply in August (or later) and still get in. Just keep in mind Dec. 1st is the day dental schools notify for first round admissions. If you are late, this only mens you will be considered for rolling admissions.

!

what does rolling admission mean? sorry this is my 1st time doing this

Hi,

Rolling admissions means that after the initial offers for seats are sent to successful applicants as of the first of December, any offers that are rejected by the applicant for whatever reason (accepted at another school or whatever), will open up to people on a waitlist or yet to be interviewed.

This means that after December 1st, until even after the next application cycle begins, seats will be offered until the class is full.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Applicants,

Please post application questions that are not answered by this thread in the pre-dent section so your questions may be answered in a timely manner. I will not respond to PM requests to provide my personal information (phone number, email, address, or whatever) or to contact you outside of this forum.

Thanks for understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi m new to sdn...thought it wud be a lot of help if someone could temme is kaplan sufficient for gen anatomy...aaplicants from india is it better to read from bd chaurasia ? i was told tat kaplan is sufficient but goin thru it confuses meh ..as in isnt it too brief?..suggestions are most welcome ...

hey,
anyone in calgary preparing for EE may 2009

I have another application question, I hope someone can help me with it
aadsas application asks me if I have any relatives who are dentists, I actually do have one person but he is not anywhere near the US, didn't study in the US and he is not currently practicing anywhere near the US either, is there any advantage of even mentioning him in the application?

Last edited:
Hi All,
I'm new to this website, so hopefully I didn't over look this but...
Ok, so I have my AADSAS application almost all completed for the 2008 year. Once I have paid the fee and everything, do I still have to pay each schools application fee, or is that included in the AADSAS money? It's kinda confusing since each school's website says to complete the AADSAS application in addition to the schools one.

Hi,

Rolling admissions means that after the initial offers for seats are sent to successful applicants as of the first of December, any offers that are rejected by the applicant for whatever reason (accepted at another school or whatever), will open up to people on a waitlist or yet to be interviewed.

This means that after December 1st, until even after the next application cycle begins, seats will be offered until the class is full.

Hope that helps, good luck.

So everyone who interviews now will not know if they will be accepted until December 1? Or is that the official date and they get some unofficial notification letting them know they will get accepted. So with rolling admissions is there any advantage of having an interview in September as apposed to an interview in November?

anyone???

No one finds out until Dec 1st. There are no unofficial acceptances before then, as far as I know. It is a date that has been agreed upon by all dental schools.

Sept interviews are probably a little better than Nov, but it depends when the schools start interviewing. Some schools start in August, but some don't start until the end of October. Whichever school you are considering, it's generally considered favorable to be in the first month or two of that school's interview schedule. I was talking to someone at UTHSCSA and they said 3/4 of last year's class was composed of people that interviewed in Aug or Sept.

best of luck

If the DAT has been taken more than once, do most dental schools take the highest of each section in determining the DAT score?

No, they take the most recent set of scores from an individual DAT. So if you get a 21/21/21 and the second try you get a 19/19/19, then the latter is the set of scores that they accept. It's not like the SATs.

No, they take the most recent set of scores from an individual DAT. So if you get a 21/21/21 and the second try you get a 19/19/19, then the latter is the set of scores that they accept. It's not like the SATs.

Not for all schools. Some will average or take the best of each section. doc toothache has a run down of all the schools and what their protocol for this is.

hi does anybody know where you can input your GPA and ur DAT and see which dental schools fit with that criteria?

hi does anybody know where you can input your GPA and ur DAT and see which dental schools fit with that criteria?
This isn't eHarmony.com, things don't work like that.

If I am taking my DAT on July 24th, when should I apply through AADSAS? Since it takes maybe 1-3 weeks to verify Transcripts, another 4-8 to send out application, and the DAT takes like 6 weeks to send out officially, I need these two to meet at the same time. What do you think about applying June 1-10th sometime.ill this maybe corresong with meeting my DAT score report in time for August/September interviews?

Thanks a lot for putting this up together. I'll have to come back and reference a few things later.

If I am taking my DAT on July 24th, when should I apply through AADSAS? Since it takes maybe 1-3 weeks to verify Transcripts, another 4-8 to send out application, and the DAT takes like 6 weeks to send out officially, I need these two to meet at the same time. What do you think about applying June 1-10th sometime.ill this maybe corresong with meeting my DAT score report in time for August/September interviews?
Apply and submit your AADSAS app ASAP, don't wait for your DAT scores. If you do it will take way too long since your application process is being held back at the AADSAS level. If you submit your AADSAS first, the hold on your file will be at the school, which is much more managable I guess you could say. Just designate the schools you want your DAT scores sent to when you register.

Apply and submit your AADSAS app ASAP, don't wait for your DAT scores. If you do it will take way too long since your application process is being held back at the AADSAS level. If you submit your AADSAS first, the hold on your file will be at the school, which is much more managable I guess you could say. Just designate the schools you want your DAT scores sent to when you register.

I definitely agree that every applicant should get there stuff out as soon as possible. Just don't worry and obsess over it too much.

Take my good-for-nothing lazy ass for example. I took the DAT on December 16th and submitted my application on the same day. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend doing that. I'd say submit your app when it's done, but don't wait too long before taking the test.

Thanks a lot for the response. I will submit as early as possible in order to ensure a better timing of my application. Thanks again.

Hello,

I will be applying during the 2010 cycle. I know that when the cycle opens this year in june, I need to print out a matching bar code form and give it to my instructor so that he/she can send it in with the LOE. However, many colleges end their finals during mid May so how do pre-dent students get around giving the matching bar code form to the professors after school ends?

Can I get he recomendation letters from my instructors before hand and send it in myself?

Thank you.

If you are retaking the DAT, what's the point of applying early if the schools don't look at the application until everything is received?

I am retaking the DAT in July, should I apply early in June, or is it best to wait until July when everything is together? I just want the app. to be in when I have the best chance... so I'm not sure the best way to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated=)

never mind... i see the answer up above... i took the DAT today, and my brain is a little fried.

thanks anyway!!

Hello,

I will be applying during the 2010 cycle. I know that when the cycle opens this year in june, I need to print out a matching bar code form and give it to my instructor so that he/she can send it in with the LOE. However, many colleges end their finals during mid May so how do pre-dent students get around giving the matching bar code form to the professors after school ends?

Can I get he recomendation letters from my instructors before hand and send it in myself?

Thank you.

Yea I was wondering the same thing as I wanted to prepare as much stuff required for application before the June 1st aadsas opening date.

My university is on the quarter system and grades for Spring quarter do not come out until next week. I'm planning on sending in my application today, and have already sent an official transcript to AADSAS without my Spring quarter grades. Should I send in another one with my spring quarter grades when they come out next week, or just during the academic update period?

thanks for the post, it really helped.

Hopefully, this year new applicants will check this out before reposting redundant questions. If anyone experienced with the application process has anymore insightful information for new applicants, they should post it here and hopefully it won't be overlooked and the same questions asked (over and over again).

DAT:
If you list on your AADSAS application that you are writing a future DAT, the schools won't review your application or consider your application complete until they receive your latest scores. This means your application from AADSAS will still occur, the hold up will be at the schools.

I'm confused about this statement. I took my 1st DAT in May & submitted my application 3 days after it opened, and have received confirmation from most schools that my app is under review. I will be retaking the DAT Aug. 20, but have already received an interview invite from Indiana. I heard that they look at your application, and if they think they NEED a higher DAT score from you they wait and review it again after you get your new score. Should I have checked no in the retake box so that they would have seen my other scores? I got a 19AA/19TS/18PAT.. so it's not TERRIBLE but not great... I hope I didn't make a mistake!

So lets say I listed my latest score on my DAT and when I say I plan on retaking the exam, the schools will just disregard my last DAT score and completely put my application on hold until they receive the new scores??

Hi there,

I am applying for dental school at UBC and I need honest feedback. I have a 3.25 GPA, I haven't written my DAT, but I know I can get in the 20-22 range. I have worked for the past 6 years as the night shift lab supervisor testing for plant viruses supervising 8-11 technicians in a high throughput, often high stress position. I have a BSc in microbiology from the University of Victoria and I have excellent references from my supervisors (director of the research station I work at) and a dentist. I did not make any connections with professors when I did my degree because I was solely focussed on my family, so I am not able to get a reference from a university professor. I don't know if that will exclude me from many dentistry schools, but I can provide other references to make up for it. I am married and I have one daughter. My family is my number one priority, but I am very commited to becoming a dentist.

I have some volunteer experience, but I mainly devote myself to the people around me. I have excellent interpersonal communication and I truly enjoy meeting and interacting with those around me. I am 31 years old and I have gained much wisdom in my years. My goal is to become a dentist and I will acheive that goal in whatever way I can. I need as much honest feedback (however brutal) as I can get, so that I can acheive my goal. Please help me by giving me advice. I know that I cannot change my GPA, but I graduated several years ago and I was not as focussed as I am now.

Thank you

Hi there,
I need as much honest feedback (however brutal) as I can get, so that I can acheive my goal. Please help me by giving me advice.

Hey, this thread was posted today and may be of some help to you: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=674757.

There is nothing to be brutal about.
The GPA is a bit low, but you will probably have to retake some pre-reqs since schools don't accept ones from years ago (You should call the school and ask about this). Also retaking some courses allows you to raise up that GPA.
Also most schools require LORs from science professors (again call and ask or check the website).
You have to take the DAT and don't assume you can get anything especially for being out of school for a while.
Also apply to more than one school.

Is it possible to apply to UF before you take the DAT?

Yes, but the commitee will not look at your app until it's complete. DAT scores are 4-6 weeks and the deadline was dec 1st.

Hi there,

I am applying for dental school at UBC and I need honest feedback. I have a 3.25 GPA, I haven't written my DAT, but I know I can get in the 20-22 range. I have worked for the past 6 years as the night shift lab supervisor testing for plant viruses supervising 8-11 technicians in a high throughput, often high stress position. I have a BSc in microbiology from the University of Victoria and I have excellent references from my supervisors (director of the research station I work at) and a dentist. I did not make any connections with professors when I did my degree because I was solely focussed on my family, so I am not able to get a reference from a university professor. I don't know if that will exclude me from many dentistry schools, but I can provide other references to make up for it. I am married and I have one daughter. My family is my number one priority, but I am very commited to becoming a dentist.

I have some volunteer experience, but I mainly devote myself to the people around me. I have excellent interpersonal communication and I truly enjoy meeting and interacting with those around me. I am 31 years old and I have gained much wisdom in my years. My goal is to become a dentist and I will acheive that goal in whatever way I can. I need as much honest feedback (however brutal) as I can get, so that I can acheive my goal. Please help me by giving me advice. I know that I cannot change my GPA, but I graduated several years ago and I was not as focussed as I am now.

Thank you

I wouldn't be overly confident going into the DAT. It's not as easy as the practice tests make it seem.

Sorry to say, but all schools require references from a professor who taught one of your courses. There's really no way around it. Also, if your pre-requisite courses are over a few years old, you may have to retake them as they may not count anymore. Best to check with the school's you're interested in and see.

Hi there,

Thank you

I have some stupid questions...I'm a sophomore so when should I apply? Junior year? Also if I take DAT this summer, this score will active for how long? One last question, dental school only gonna look at my GPA for the first 3 years? Thanks for answering:D

I'm also a sophomore. I'm applying next June, after I finish the DAT. Don't apply unless you have completed the required courses, and are satisfied with you DAT scores. If you don't feel prepared, you can wait until your senior year, and then take a year off before dental school. Once you take the DAT, the score doesn't go away. I believe that it stays on your record indefinitely (but I could be wrong).

If you do apply your Junior year (next year), the dental schools will only see your coursework and GPA up until that point. BUT, that does not mean that grades aren't important anymore! :) As you surely know, they may ask you questions about school during interviews, and can probably request final transcripts after your senior year (not sure on the details about that).

Good luck!

Question: The sticky says that AADSAS does not tell you when your gpa/transcripts are verified. Do we really have to keep calling and bothering them to figure out when our applications are fully verified and sent out?

does anyoe have a good company that can edit and review a dental school persoanlS ? one that deals with dental schools and knows what they are looking for? thanks

does anyoe have a good company that can edit and review a dental school persoanlS ? one that deals with dental schools and knows what they are looking for? thanks

Do you really want a company to be reviewing that information. How would you know you can trust it? Does your undergrad university have a writing center? They most likely can review it. If you send it to a company, you are most likely going to get a canned response and/or plagiarized information they give to all personal statements. In undergrad I was on the honor council - cheating pretty much - and so many international students use these types of companies to write essays and papers. The product is a horribly written paper full of generalizations and plagiarism.

my$0.02
DS