About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Associate Salaries....Firsthand Info?

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by JohnfootDr, Feb 25, 2006.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. JohnfootDr

JohnfootDr Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anyone in a residency, or know what first year post residency salaries are running. FIRSTHAND...sorry, don't want a lot of the stories I have already heard about "so and so heard that someone got $200k and a Rolls", or "My attending says he'll only hire a new associate at minimum wage".

I have seen the salary surveys. I also realize that (sadly enough) some of the older guys wouldn't be above responding that a new associate is making $40k in a surgical practice (just to have the guys they will hire in the future come in with lower expectations).

I know of (first hand) a couple that came out of a marginal 1 year PPMR and made $90 and $100k respectively (now, they were attractive females, and, having rotated there...I know that their skills were NOT what caused the large income). (Chicago area)

I had an offer (when my PM&S 24 closed after 6 months) of $75k + 1/3 of collections over 150k (however, I would not have had a surgical residency/ABPS Cert. if I ever wanted to move on....hurt VERY much to turn that offer down). (PA near the NY border)

Anyone else have firsthand knowledge? What kind of training did the residents have (PPMR, PSR, etc.)? What geographic location?
  2. Dmayor22

Dmayor22 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    My podiatrist mentor I talked to and close family friend has a private practice with 7 pods in 4 cities. 2 pods are at each office in a center while the newest doc rotates between 2 offices to see maximum patients. He says the lowest they would start an associate at with a 2 year residency or better would be in the ballpark of 85-95k a year with it increasing to around 100-110k the next year. They usually have a 2 year associate plan but sometimes they have a 3 year depending on the person.

I know that isnt first hand knowledge but it is straight from a close friends mouth who wouldnt mess around. I personally would think if you get done with a 2 year residency or better and accept a job offer lower than 90k then you are selling yourself short. Obviously things differ geographically....i'm in the south
  3. jonwill

jonwill SDN Senior Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Podiatrist SDN 7+ Year Member
    I personally know of 3 guys in the past 6 months (all 3 year residencies), two of which signed for 150k and one which signed for 130k. It seems that out of a 3 year residency, most are signing on at a range of low to mid 100's. There are always exceptions to the rule (both ways).
  4. Well, from the aacpm site ~ 63K.

Maybe that isn't the kind of first-foot information that you wanted, and maybe that site is suspicious to you. It seems almost as reliable as asking strangers to me.

Don't get mad at me... I didn't make it up or pretend.

http://www.aacpm.org/html/careercenter/cz3_faqs.asp
  5. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member

this was 63K in 2001. It has been 5 years since then.
  6. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    :laugh: wiskers should go climb up a tree and hope the fire house in his neighborhood has not been closed due to budget cuts. :laugh:
  7. IlizaRob

IlizaRob IlizaRob-erator Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That's more than you could ever hope for Whiskers. Better jump on that one quick. I just read an add in Bary Blocks newsletter for a non-surgical podiatrist. I think the exact words of the ad were: "We do the surgery, you work the floor". Thats right up your alley. Might want to look into that.

On a serious note, Im with Krabmas. I would go with the statistics put out by the young members association last year. The averages are a little more realistic.