New at this but lots of questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wellesleygirlPSYCH19

PSYCHma
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I choose between a Masters in ABA, a Clinical PhD program and a ABA PhD program? I want to ultimately do ABA/BCBA research and also the diagnosis process in children with Autism. How do I chose what direction to go in? I have a lot of research experience, some clinical experience and two published papers. I am graduating college this year. HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Briefly, an MA in ABA will limit your options in the future. An ABA PhD might as well, it depends on the curriculum. Why not a clinical psych PhD while focusing on your selected population (autism)?

I want to ultimately do ABA/BCBA research and also the diagnosis process in children with Autism.

If you want to diagnose and diagnose properly, you will need a PhD (or PsyD from a top program) in clinical psych. Or an MD (who should work in conjunction with a PhD/PsyD in clinical psych) to diagnose properly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working in a school with kids diagnosed with autism and loving it. I know it's the route I want to take. I'm
Just not sure where to go from here. Do I apply to masters programs then phd? Or go for ma/phd combined?

I'm working in a school with kids diagnosed with autism and loving it. I know it's the route I want to take. I'm
Just not sure where to go from here. Do I apply to masters programs then phd? Or go for ma/phd combined?

Part of that will depend on your application and how competitive you are for a Ph.D. (most of which will have you earn a masters along the way if you didn't already do so prior to entering). There's a "WAMC: What are My Chances" thread stickied at the top of this forum in which you can certainly feel free to post your credentials (e.g., GPA, GRE scores, research experiences) to get input from the other members here.

My knee-jerk response would be that, based on your interests, a clinical/counseling doctoral program with an emphasis in pediatrics (and particularly in autism-spectrum disorders) would be your best choice. My clinical psych program had one such lab, for example, and the vast majority of those folks obtained ABA certification either along the way or shortly after finishing their Ph.D.