PhD/PsyD NEW CPLEE Exam 2015 Cut Off Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same for me today. I scored a 59 out of 75. I used psych prep and aatbs! I passed above 80% on all my practice exams. I studied hard and knew the information but the questions were worded terribly. Clearly the cutoff rate is inconsistent or there wouldn't be a sudden 20% dive in examinees passing with the new version. Paradoxically, this kind of variability is completely unethical! I am filing a complaint.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh! I paid the $129 to take it again in October. I'm so angry. Why did they change the passing score? Do they actually want a lower pass rate?

I know a LOT of people who have failed it. I'm actually considering not taking it until I know for sure if I'll be staying in CA, I'm that nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. The way they are setting up the pass rates means the exam has to keep getting more difficult. I spoke with the board and they said the new pass rate (July 2016 version) is more consistent with previous versions of the test from July and October of 2015. They also said the pass rates from January and March versions of the test (95%) were unusually high. Meaning that the more we study, the more confusingly they have to write exam questions to ensure a lower pass rate. This is not like the eppp where new research across a variety of domains keeps the test changing and difficult. This should be a strait forward exam with high pass rates. Changes to CA psychology laws and ethics do not happen all that often nor so dramatically as to significantly alter the exam content.

Last edited:
Wow bump for me being in the same boat as many above.

2 points off.

Really pissed/bummed.

Hoping for a repeat of above posters' experience with board retroactively accepting this score.

Very frustrating...I too had no problems passing the EPPP. Many of these questions were poorly worded at best.

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh! I paid the $129 to take it again in October. I'm so angry. Why did they change the passing score? Do they actually want a lower pass rate?
Hey, not sure if you saw my post about filing a complaint with the Board of Consumer Affairs, which oversees the Board of Psychology. I am hoping that if they receive enough complaints, they will put pressure on the BOP to re-evaluate the quality and clarity of the exam and possibly lower the cut-off for passing. The content of the exam is not hard, but the questions are poorly worded and confusing!

You can file a complaint online (anonymously or not) at https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/complainthelp/online_complaint.php

Reactions: 2 users
Just took the CPLEE today and scored a 60 out of 75 which equates to 80%, since when is a score of 80% not passing on any test anywhere in the entire world. Also looking at the stats for the earlier part of this year and the unfairness of 90% of the people passing and then somehow falling to 76.92% for July, how is it fair that these individuals are practicing making an income paying their student loans and here I am stuck having to take this test again having to pay another $129. Also as a side note the ladies at the test center made a comment to me that I was the eighth person today that did not pass the CPLEE and they were just shaking their heads. Something is definitely wrong and I will be calling the BOP tomorrow and filing a complaint. I am 52 years old, I have worked in Law Enforcement for the Feds for a number of years and I can unequivocally say this entire process is the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered in my life from the EPPP to the CPLEE, I'm thinking maybe its time to hire an Attorney to look into lost wages, lost retirement not to mention all the money expended on the ridiculous study programs?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey, not sure if you saw my post about filing a complaint with the Board of Consumer Affairs, which oversees the Board of Psychology. I am hoping that if they receive enough complaints, they will put pressure on the BOP to re-evaluate the quality and clarity of the exam and possibly lower the cut-off for passing. The content of the exam is not hard, but the questions are poorly worded and confusing!

You can file a complaint online (anonymously or not) at https://www.dca.ca.gov/webapps/complainthelp/online_complaint.php
I filed a complaint but I'm still studying again and planning to sign up to test as soon as they let me. This is awful but I just don't expect the board to do anything. I got this response "The BOP is not aware of any issues with the current exam. The exam is currently valid and legally defensible."

Guys, the next version has a passing score of 60. Woop. Can't wait to take it again... I'm also wondering why are the passing rates for August and September not on the BOP website? Thoughts?

Guys, the next version has a passing score of 60. Woop. Can't wait to take it again... I'm also wondering why are the passing rates for August and September not on the BOP website? Thoughts?
It is weird they haven't posted anything since August. I have no idea why that could be.

Took it again today and passed. Thank goodness thats over. I used the AATBS testmaster exams to study, and found them quite helpful. Lets hope thats the final hoop. Good luck everyone!

joined the forum to see what people's experiences were with the CPLEE. I just took it today for the first time (studied with Taylor Study Method, which I used for the EPPP and passed on my first try), and failed by 2 pts. Passing was 60, I got a 58. I'm so irritated--I was consistently getting over 90% on all practice tests and felt extremely prepared. But the questions on the test were nothing like my study materials, and some were horribly worded such that I was confused about what was being asked.

Is there any evidence of the BOP changing cut-offs within 2016? So disappointed that I'll have to pay again for a new program and then restudy and wait months to re-take.

I'm grateful I found this thread. I was using AATBS to study and felt that I was thoroughly prepared (based on my scores with the AATBS practice exams) and was planning to take the exam next week. After seeing the thoughts here, I purchased the PsychPrep package last night and found that I'm, in fact, very unprepared. PsychPrep's practice tests get at the nuances of the laws/ethics and the ambiguity of the CPLEE questions. AATBS practice tests are misleading. I'm postponing my exam for another two weeks...
Would you be willing to sell your AATBS materials to me? Please email: [email protected] with reply

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking to buy used AATBS (and/or Taylor) for CPLEE. Is there anyone out there who is willing to sell to me? Please contact me at: [email protected]

Retook and passed. January also has a cutoff of 60. It's a very challenging test. I used both aatbs and psych prep. I thought aatbs workshop was helpful as were the practice tests. Even after 6 months of vigorous study it felt hard and I was unsure I would pass. Needed to know minutiae.

I just failed for my 2nd time.

First time I got a 59 and used PsychPrep
Second time I got a 53 and used Taylor

I hate this test. I don't even know what to do now. Why is this last bloody hurdle so awful?????

I hate this test. I don't even know what to do now. Why is this last bloody hurdle so awful?????

I am really sorry. This is awful. It definitely is on them. This test is just an embarrassment.

So should I..
A) renew Psychprep and buy a 1on1 consult ($150+$300)
B) buy the AATBS package ($425?)

My mom is buying me one as a birthday present

Does anyone know their (PSI, the BoP, etc.) rationale for not reporting your actual score on the CPLEE? I know that you do get a score if you didn't pass the exam, so it must be possible to give scores to everyone. I get that the score doesn't matter for practical purposes and I should just be happy that I passed, but after investing a bunch of time studying I'd like to know how I did.

I just took the CPLEE for the first time today and got a 59 as well. I studied with AATBS, PsychPrep, and Taylor . I am devastated beyond words for this ridiculous, costly, unfair process. I was consistently scoring 100% with AATBS, 99% and 100% with Psych Prep and 96% with Taylor. There were questions on the exam that were not covered by any of these prep companies. I don't even know how to process this. So now I have to wait until April, and continue paying for test prep, right?

I just took the CPLEE for the first time today and got a 59 as well. I studied with AATBS, PsychPrep, and Taylor . I am devastated beyond words for this ridiculous, costly, unfair process. I was consistently scoring 100% with AATBS, 99% and 100% with Psych Prep and 96% with Taylor. There were questions on the exam that were not covered by any of these prep companies. I don't even know how to process this. So now I have to wait until April, and continue paying for test prep, right?

Sorry, I'm naive to this, but why would you have to wait til April?

Sorry, I'm naive to this, but why would you have to wait til April?

There's only one version of the test in use at any given time, and they change versions every 3 months. You can't retake the test until a new version comes out.

There's only one version of the test in use at any given time, and they change versions every 3 months. You can't retake the test until a new version comes out.

Crap. I had no idea. That really sucks.

Once you mailed off the CPLEE request form with payment, how long did it take to get approval to schedule the CPLEE exam? Did you get an e-mail notification from the BOP or the PSI testing company directly? I saw that my check was deposited last week but haven't gotten any e-mails... Thanks.

Had anyone used the Taylor Study Method for the CPLEE? I know they're not popular for the Eppp, but they claim a 100% pass rate for first time test takers who've used their program. Of course, they don't say if that's based on 2 people or 200. . So any first hand experiences would help!

Once you mailed off the CPLEE request form with payment, how long did it take to get approval to schedule the CPLEE exam? Did you get an e-mail notification from the BOP or the PSI testing company directly? I saw that my check was deposited last week but haven't gotten any e-mails... Thanks.
I was wondering if you ever received an answer to this, or how long it took you to recieve a response? I am waiting for an answer from the state right now as well.

I was wondering if you ever received an answer to this, or how long it took you to recieve a response? I am waiting for an answer from the state right now as well.

You can always reach out to them and ask. When I was waiting (several years ago), I ended up calling because it took so long and they had misplaced my info even though they had deposited my check. I received my permission the next day.

I never got a reply from others, but I can tell you from my personal experience. It took about a month. I called the BOP twice, and after I actually got voice contact with the licensing analyst for my application, I quickly got approved for the CPLEE. If it's been about a month already, I would highly recommend you calling them to check on the status. I feel like I would have had to wait longer if I didn't call.

Had anyone used the Taylor Study Method for the CPLEE? I know they're not popular for the Eppp, but they claim a 100% pass rate for first time test takers who've used their program. Of course, they don't say if that's based on 2 people or 200. . So any first hand experiences would help!

I've now done all three AATBS, PsychPrep and Taylor... Taylor is by far the easiest questions and least California specific material.

Hey, we are in similar places (except I failed twice already)... how is the studying going this time around? What are you doing differently?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows what the cut off scores are going to be for April. I'm really nervous about taking the CPLEE. I'm using Psychprep and AATBS. Wondering what else I can do to be prepared.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows what the cut off scores are going to be for April. I'm really nervous about taking the CPLEE. I'm using Psychprep and AATBS. Wondering what else I can do to be prepared.
Hi - I'm in the same boat. Not sure what else we can do but hope this version of the exam doesn't include vignettes to which I still cannot find the answers. I bought Caldwell's MFT Law & Ethics book just to be exposed to additional info (and wow, comparatively, MFTs have it easy); I think the book is worthwhile, although it means coughing up another $50 for yet another provider who seeks to maximize profit off of interns.

Hey, we are in similar places (except I failed twice already)... how is the studying going this time around? What are you doing differently?
Hi - I'm so sorry you've gone through this twice. Know that it's not a reflection on you. Because the questions are submitted by individual psychologists: 1) the writing styles are scattered which is beyond distracting, and 2) we're subjected to the fox in the hen house bias (who, besides us, presents the greatest threat to the revenue stream of an established psychologist?). I bought Caldwell's book for MFT Law & Ethics; I think (hope) it's worthwhile to be exposed to the additional info. Best of luck to us both.

Hi - It took about 3 weeks the first time I took the exam (4 days to deposit my check, 18+ days to email the approval). For my second round, 4 days to deposit my check, 2 weeks for email indicating that I will receive another email at the time when I am approved for the retake (which should be April 3 and I still have not heard).

Thank you for the replies. It took about a month for me to hear back from the board as well. I also scheduled my test for April and am pretty anxious about what the test will be like. I'm surprised the stats aren't up from February yet, since it's almost April. I think the stats might give a small clue about the cut off for the next round.

Hi - I'm in the same boat. Not sure what else we can do but hope this version of the exam doesn't include vignettes to which I still cannot find the answers. I bought Caldwell's MFT Law & Ethics book just to be exposed to additional info (and wow, comparatively, MFTs have it easy); I think the book is worthwhile, although it means coughing up another $50 for yet another provider who seeks to maximize profit off of interns.
Thank you! I'll buy the book. I appreciate the advice. I don't understand what they have to make things so complicated?! It's law and ethics, it should be clear and concise! Nevertheless, I wish you lots of luck! When are you scheduled to take the exam?

Thank you! I'll buy the book. I appreciate the advice. I don't understand what they have to make things so complicated?! It's law and ethics, it should be clear and concise! Nevertheless, I wish you lots of luck! When are you scheduled to take the exam?

You're very welcome. Best of luck to you, too. I just received approval to take it but, quite honestly, I'm afraid to schedule it. Test PTSD.

You're very welcome. Best of luck to you, too. I just received approval to take it but, quite honestly, I'm afraid to schedule it. Test PTSD.
Hi

Hi there postdocB,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am taking it soon as well. I used Psychprep, and have been going through the material more than 5 times. Honestly just don't know how else to prepare. Good luck to you too!

The bop told me the cutoff is 61 out of 75 for this test round. I'll take it either end of April or early May. Does anyone know beyond what date you can take the test to get immediate scores rather than waiting for mailed scores? I don't want to end up in that boat like my colleague did... waiting 3-4 weeks to hear news after the exam because she took it early after the new exam came out.

The bop told me the cutoff is 61 out of 75 for this test round. I'll take it either end of April or early May. Does anyone know beyond what date you can take the test to get immediate scores rather than waiting for mailed scores? I don't want to end up in that boat like my colleague did... waiting 3-4 weeks to hear news after the exam because she took it early after the new exam came out.
Thank you so much for letting me know. Such a joke!! It's like they want us to fail! They haven't posted the scores for Feb and March, but it was a mess for January! How are you preparing for the exam?

Thank you!just learned that the cut off score is 61 lol. This is absolutely crazy! I'm scheduled to take it at the end of April. I'm more nervous taking the cplee than I was taking the EPPP. Regardless we have to pass it and move on!! Best of luck to you! I'm sure you're going to pass it with flying colors! :)

Thank you so much for letting me know. Such a joke!! It's like they want us to fail! They haven't posted the scores for Feb and March, but it was a mess for January! How are you preparing for the exam?

I have Psychprep study materials (study guide and audio). This is my first time taking the CPLEE, so we'll see what happens...

Hi

Hi there postdocB,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am taking it soon as well. I used Psychprep, and have been going through the material more than 5 times. Honestly just don't know how else to prepare. Good luck to you too!

Hi HumptyPsyc - I also bought the MFT Law & Ethics book by Caldwell to be exposed to additional material. I have no idea if it's worthwhile (and it's $50) but wanted to pass the info along. I was testing at 100% with psych prep in Jan and missed passing by one point. I'm not sure what more we can do but best of luck to you!

Thank you!just learned that the cut off score is 61 lol. This is absolutely crazy! I'm scheduled to take it at the end of April. I'm more nervous taking the cplee than I was taking the EPPP. Regardless we have to pass it and move on!! Best of luck to you! I'm sure you're going to pass it with flying colors! :)

Yes, same here, I'm more nervous about CPLEE than EPPP. It just seems like something is not right with this exam (at least in Jan); I called the BOP then asking for resources for the questions I didn't know and could not find answers for after the exam. They told me to go back and read my text books and CA Laws & Regs online.

Hello! Does anyone have any CPLEE materials (preferably PsychPrep) they are willing to sell? I can also purchase it in person in SF Bay Area or pay you electronically. Thank you very much!

I have Psychprep study materials (study guide and audio). This is my first time taking the CPLEE, so we'll see what happens...

Hello - have you (or anyone else) has taken or retaken the CPLEE in April 2017? Wondering if it's a better experience (more straight forward, less ambiguity) than the last round or just as painful. Sigh.

UPDATE:
I took the exam on Friday and passed. The board must have heard enough complaints from last quarter's version because this version is written in normal, academic, legal language (no double-triple-negative, back-flip questions). It's straight forward, difficult, but fair exam. I think if you are scoring 95%-100% consistently with psychprep and AATBS exams, you should be fine. Best of luck to everyone!

ALSO, the cut-off for Q2-17 is 60 (not 61 that someone mentioned).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello - have you (or anyone else) has taken or retaken the CPLEE in April 2017? Wondering if it's a better experience (more straight forward, less ambiguity) than the last round or just as painful. Sigh.

UPDATE:
I took the exam on Friday and passed. The board must have heard enough complaints from last quarter's version because this version is written in normal, academic, legal language (no double-triple-negative, back-flip questions). It's straight forward, difficult, but fair exam. I think if you are scoring 95%-100% consistently with psychprep and AATBS exams, you should be fine. Best of luck to everyone!

Thank you for the update! I'm going to take it this month and I feel much better after reading this :)

UPDATE:

ALSO, the cut-off for Q2-17 is 60 (not 61 that someone mentioned).

Just took it (for the first time) and passed. I want to note that I studied 20 hours total, using Psychprep's study guide and audio, but didn't have the online tests because they were hand me downs. I was fresh off taking the EPPP, so the APA ethics codes were fresh in my mind. Hopefully this gives you some idea of study time/etc.

It was tricky, but doable. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi, my first post here. I am scheduled to take CPLEE in the next two weeks. Feeling very nervous after reading everything here. Many moons ago, I remember there was a lot of conversation related to EPPP via a yahoo group. Is there anything similar (group) for CPLEE? Also, are there more people who have taken the exam this quarter? Would love to hear about the difficulty level of the current version. Thanks in advance.