New Derm Dept Rankings: Cutis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine123abc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's using dated info (2008) but has reasonable evaluation criteria.

Source: Cutis

Rankings:
upload_2014-11-3_20-54-8.png

Harvard....seems a bit low. JHU a bit high but likely lagging indicator to what happened to that program since 2008....

Members don't see this ad.

The usual disclaimer applies of course. Overall ranking for what?

In the vast majority of instances (e.g. residents pursuing private practice), practices won't care where you graduated from. They're more concerned about what you'll do to contribute to the bottom line.

But I guess it gives you bragging rights to some degree if you graduated from one of the residencies above :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know three Emory grads personally... only one of which I would ever entertain recommending. The other two suffer from epic delusions of grandeur... and whose asses I have covered / bailed out one too many times already.

I know three Emory grads personally... only one of which I would ever entertain recommending. The other two suffer from epic delusions of grandeur... and whose asses I have covered / bailed out one too many times already.
Because they went to Emory's derm program?

Are these actually useful evaluation criteria:

number of faculty publications in 2008; amount of NIH funding received in 2008; number of faculty lectures given at 5 society meetings in 2008; amount of DF funding received in 2008; and the number of faculty members who were on the editorial boards of 6 dermatology journals in 2008

Are these actually useful evaluation criteria:

Again, it depends what you want to do. Bread and butter private practice? It's nice to have in a residency, but it won't contribute greatly to your next step. (And despite what we all say during the interviews/personal statements, the vast majority of us go out to do...bread and butter private practice dermatology)

Are you interested in a high powered academic career? Subspecializing within a certain niche of dermatology? Actually interested in research? Then publication quantity, NIH funding, faculty notoriety, research support, etc, etc may matter more to you.

Again, it depends what you want to do. Bread and butter private practice? It's nice to have in a residency, but it won't contribute greatly to your next step. (And despite what we all say during the interviews/personal statements, the vast majority of us go out to do...bread and butter private practice dermatology)
How dare you!!! No academic faculty position at NYU for you!!! :whoa:

Reactions: 1 user