new edition of Pocket Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxingTheStars

chase this light with me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It says Sept 13th 2010 in the publisher info, so hopefully shipping soon.

Edit: Barnes and Noble says available Sept. 28th for shipping.

Last edited:
For student purposes, I would just go with an old edition to save $$. Those books are pretty expensive. I have one, but didn't even use it much for Internal, but then I'm not a resident yet.

By residency, don't be one of those cheap-ass residents with the 1st or 2nd edition and definitely get yourself the latest version...for the latest recommendations, etc. :) Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Pocket Medicine all the time for formulating differentials for my H&P. Personally, I don't think it can be beat for a quick reference when you can't get to a computer.

I have the "red" version. I think it's pretty great. I don't know how what changes are being made for the new edition.

dang..the "red book" is going to be the green book.

HF 1-15

Treatment of advanced heart failure
* Tailored Rx
* IV vasodilators
* Inotropes
* Ultrafiltration
* Mechanical circulatory support
-Intraaortic Balloon Pulsation (IABP): INFLATES in disatole to increase coronary & peripheral tissue perfusion & DEFLATES in systole to creating a vacuum-like effect which helps decrease LV afterload

HF 1-15

Treatment of advanced heart failure
* Tailored Rx
* IV vasodilators
* Inotropes
* Ultrafiltration
* Mechanical circulatory support
-Intraaortic Balloon Pulsation (IABP): INFLATES in disatole to increase coronary & peripheral tissue perfusion & DEFLATES in systole to creating a vacuum-like effect which helps decrease LV afterload

What's the error? That is my understanding of how balloon pumps work as well.

The thin, useful red book has been altered significantly in the green book. Keep in mind it was black first, blue second, so only this 4-year med student class knows it as the red book.

First, the pages got glossier. Makes it harder to write notes in and it makes the pages larger. I suppose they were going for "durability" but it makes it painful to read. The weight change is insignificant

Second, they added some details, and some pictures. The details are all evidenced-based stuff that really confounds the simplicity for which it was known for. Really, there isnt that much that has changed, but they have added some sections (one on liver pathology). The pictures are cool to have, but honestly, how many times have you seen syphilis, seborrheic keratosis, or a lobar pneumonia that looks like the "ideal" image? That, and they put the index BEFORE the images, meaning you actually have to move the index or tab it to readily access it.

Third, everything is green. Green is an awful color. Its that dark hunter green. So now its green, black, and white. The natural contrast of red and black served to highlight headings and label tables is gone, further making it an eyesore.

Honestly, for any medical student, the red book is far more than sufficient. If you see residents and some attendings now, they have their blue book. Whatever mild changes got made really dont make up for the eyesore and the 50 dollar cost.

I bought it, but use the red book still.

Is it that bad? Does anyone know when the 5th edition is coming out? I might wait for that instead. I just feel using red now (in 2012) is too out of date?

I have the green version and find it more than adequate for my needs. The only must-have book for rotations in my opinion.

Brain > pocket medicine. It's a catch-22 - if your knowledge is so poor that you constantly need pocket medicine, both the red and green version will serve you well as you likely won't even know enough for the differences to matter. If your knowledge is so great that the differences start to matter, you're already a superstar resident and getting the latest version probably won't help to make you that much more awesome.

I have the green version and I like it a lot. It's been helpful for 3rd year and hopefully will remain so during my IM residency.

Brain > pocket medicine. It's a catch-22 - if your knowledge is so poor that you constantly need pocket medicine, both the red and green version will serve you well as you likely won't even know enough for the differences to matter. If your knowledge is so great that the differences start to matter, you're already a superstar resident and getting the latest version probably won't help to make you that much more awesome.

I wish I knew everything.

I seriously doubt any intern has memorized the contents of Pocket Medicine prior to starting their intern year. It's a good guide for quick reference and the more that you work on the wards, the more that you remember. Obviously you should know the simple stuff but there's a lot of crazy complex stuff that Pocket Medicine talks about which is important to remember (especially the arrhythmias for example)