New Edition of Robbins now available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU Pathology

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Robbins is a great book, but I fail to see how it pertains to the day-to-day practice of pathology in any way. It is a general book about pathophysiology aimed for all physicians-in-training. It has little, if any, practical use.

I still love the book though. Every doctor should read it.

Reactions: 1 user
Robbins is a great book, but I fail to see how it pertains to the day-to-day practice of pathology in any way. It is a general book about pathophysiology aimed for all physicians-in-training. It has little, if any, practical use.

I still love the book though. Every doctor should read it.
How is it not pertinent to day to day pathology?

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it not pertinent to day to day pathology?

The first ten chapters are about basic science pathophysiology. Most of it is interesting from a theoretical perspective, but has very little practical use for pathologists.

The rest of the book is organized by body system, and it is extremely well-written. However, once again, it has very little practical use. It mentions only a few of the most common diagnoses in a very superficial way, and does not go into any particular detail about diagnostic methods, differential diagnoses, staging, mimics, or anything else that one would require day to day at the scope. It is, however, an excellent book for cementing concepts as a medical student or early-year resident, no matter which specialty (except maybe psych).

The first ten chapters are about basic science pathophysiology. Most of it is interesting from a theoretical perspective, but has very little practical use for pathologists.

The rest of the book is organized by body system, and it is extremely well-written. However, once again, it has very little practical use. It mentions only a few of the most common diagnoses in a very superficial way, and does not go into any particular detail about diagnostic methods, differential diagnoses, staging, mimics, or anything else that one would require day to day at the scope. It is, however, an excellent book for cementing concepts as a medical student or early-year resident, no matter which specialty (except maybe psych).
You have to realize it's foundational pathology for all medical students so it has to cater to a more generalized interest. It's purpose is to serve as a foundation on which to build on.

You have to realize it's foundational pathology for all medical students so it has to cater to a more generalized interest. It's purpose is to serve as a foundation on which to build on.

I thought I had said that, so we are indeed on the same page. In any case, the book is incredible and everyone in medicine should read it. Yet to say it is a book of the craft of pathology, and to associate it with our daily practice, is inaccurate.

I thought I had said that, so we are indeed on the same page. In any case, the book is incredible and everyone in medicine should read it. Yet to say it is a book of the craft of pathology, and to associate it with our daily practice, is inaccurate.
Yes, it's probably not all encompassing of pathology or even that in depth since Path is so broad people do fellowships anyways. I think the first few chapters on general pathology are really relevant, but that's just me.