New Faculty - Resource for Students Applying in 2012-2013 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychBrownBag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the market for new hires in clinical departments is closing up for this year, I thought it might make sense to develop a thread in which new faculty at various universities and their research interests (and/or links to their faculty pages) are listed. Would be a way for folks applying to grad school next year to have more information regarding potential matches for their interests. The list could include both new assistant professors beginning their first faculty position or faculty members who have taken jobs at new universities after working elsewhere previously. I'll start with a list of the few that I know. If folks find it useful, they can add as they see fit.

Amelia Aldao - Ohio State University (http://faculty.psy.ohio-state.edu/aldao/). Research on emotions and emotion regulation

Mike Anestis - University of Southern Mississippi (http://www.usm.edu/clinical-psychology/faculty/michael-anestis-phd). Research on suicide and emotion dysregulation

Rob Dvorak - North Dakota State University

April Smith - Miami (Ohio) University. Research on eating disorders

Members don't see this ad.

I should mention that NDSU's clinical program isn't accredited, yet.

Last edited:
Michael Nadorff - Mississippi State University. Research on suicidal behavior, aging, and sleep disorders.

It should be mentioned that Mississippi State's clinical program is currently a master's level program, but the plan is to move to the doctoral level in the next year or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nick Eaton- Stony Brook University. Research on classification and structure of psychopathology, quant methods/psychometrics, and sexuality/sexual orientation.

To add a little to the original post. Rob Dvorak (NDSU) studies the role of behavioral, emotional, and cognitive self-regulation on health-risk behaviors (www.robdvorak.net).

Ashley Gearhardt will be joining the faculty of U.of Michigan and she studies food addition and eating disorders

Ashley Gearhardt will be joining the faculty of U.of Michigan and she studies food addition and eating disorders

Oh my. I really hate the term "food addiction," even though I hear the withdrawal process is a bitch. Some people call it "starvation."

On another note...this thread is actually a terrific resource for folks who are current grad students who are hoping to go the academic route. Shows you who's getting those coveted T-T jobs now, what their backgrounds and pedigrees are. Very useful.

Forgive the bump, but I thought this thread should be brought back since many students are starting to finalize their lists of programs.

Sarah Fischer is moving to George Mason University's clinical program -- she studies a wide variety of topics in eating disorders, including impulsivity.

Alissa Haedt-Matt will be starting at Illinois Institute of Tech's clinical psych program -- she studies eating disorders as well.

Joseph Pitre is moving to Syracuse University's clinical program from Texas A&M -- his interests are in addictive behaviors and comorbid medical conditions...lots of work in tobacco smoking and pain.

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has a good resource for finding out who the new professors are at different colleges and universities. I'll be applying to grad school in the fall and am starting to make my list of possible advisors. Maybe if others are interested we should start a similar thread for this fall?