New GHS (Greenville, SC) EM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drunken_owl MD

drunken_owl MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any med students who rotated here--or know someone who did--care to comment on the experience? I'm particularly curious about the role of the EM docs in trauma cases. Is it handled exclusively by trauma and anesthesia? Have any attendings hinted at what the relationship is expected to be like between the established trauma department and brand new EM residents?

Members don't see this ad.

Huh, I didn't know they were getting an EM program (I worked in Greenville til 2014 and my wife did IM there during that time). From what she remembers as a med student there, EM had little involvement in trauma. But that would hopefully change with dedicated EM residents and not just IM/FM/OB floaters.

Now that being said, the ED there was notoriously hands-off. Hopefully having residents will fix what was a fairly negative relationship between the ED and the rest of the hospital.

USC-Greenville is one of the million new programs this year.

I personally wouldn't expect much in the way of trauma if they already have an established surgery residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that being said, the ED there was notoriously hands-off. Hopefully having residents will fix what was a fairly negative relationship between the ED and the rest of the hospital.
I was there 2006-2009. I didn't notice any negativity between EM and the rest, although I may just be dim about that. Moreover, I wasn't the best employee, which I freely admit. However, I got on really well with a few of the ortho and GSx residents, fewer IM residents, and did fine with the community urologists, ENTs, and neurosurgeons. I supervised many IM residents on procedures, sought them out for other procedures (so they could do the procedure, but didn't have to admit the patient), and only knocked heads with a few (again, though, in the retrospectoscope, I was the problem).

I was there 2006-2009. I didn't notice any negativity between EM and the rest, although I may just be dim about that. Moreover, I wasn't the best employee, which I freely admit. However, I got on really well with a few of the ortho and GSx residents, fewer IM residents, and did fine with the community urologists, ENTs, and neurosurgeons. I supervised many IM residents on procedures, sought them out for other procedures (so they could do the procedure, but didn't have to admit the patient), and only knocked heads with a few (again, though, in the retrospectoscope, I was the problem).
My wife didn't start til 2010, and like anywhere else there were good and bad EM docs, but the stuff shed complain about was way worse than anything that the worst of the ones where I trained (Anderson) would have ever done.

Reactions: 1 user
My wife didn't start til 2010, and like anywhere else there were good and bad EM docs, but the stuff shed complain about was way worse than anything that the worst of the ones where I trained (Anderson) would have ever done.
That sounds like something I'd buy you a beer or two to hear about.

The trauma guys taught me ATLS during my internship. They seemed to like me, but I was a wolf in sheeps clothing then. We also talked a lot about college baseball.
I know the guys in Spartanburg wanted to start one in their big new ED/critical care tower, but GHS beat them to the punch.

All of my info is nearly a decade old as well. Apollyon and I ate at a great game meat restaurant, I'm not sure if it still exits. I do still have the tshirt though.
358317592_868aa124e5_z.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
The trauma guys taught me ATLS during my internship. They seemed to like me, but I was a wolf in sheeps clothing then. We also talked a lot about college baseball.
I know the guys in Spartanburg wanted to start one in their big new ED/critical care tower, but GHS beat them to the punch.

All of my info is nearly a decade old as well. Apollyon and I ate at a great game meat restaurant, I'm not sure if it still exits. I do still have the tshirt though.
It's still there and still delicious

Reindeer sausage FTW!

Current EM physician at GHS here.

There has been a huge, positive transition in our relationship with trauma at GHS. When I started 2.5 years ago, we were rarely involved in trauma. Since then, as EM attendings, we are present to help manage the airway for all trauma activations--we carry a pager specifically for this purpose. Currently, we supervise surgery residents in airway management. With an EM residency program starting in July, EM residents will have a role central role in airway management and the trauma evaluation as well. You're welcome to ask me or email the program for details. I'd love to allay any fears you have. (Anesthesia does not show up at trauma activations if that's a fear you have.)

As an aside, I think it will be an amazing place to train. It is a high-volume, high-acuity emergency department and we have a great set of faculty, most of whom are here specifically to start an EM residency program. Like I said, if you have any doubts, please reach out. I feel like our faculty probably represents 30+ medical schools / residency programs, so reach out to an alumni to your school if we have one (I can put you in touch, too, if you'd like).

I worked there for a long time -- the surgery program was generally very possessive of "their bay" and did not appreciate it when outsiders tried to care for patients there --- Hopefully this will change with the recent restructuring of the ED staff, and the surgeons will be more accepting of the new EM physicians.

That being said -- running traumas is fun for a while; but does not reflect typical ED practice. 1) traumas go to trauma centers 2) ordering a CT of the body doesn't count as a physical exam 3) you will not have a staff of 60 helping you every time a patient comes in.

Greenville, SC is an amazing town. The volume and pathology at Greenville Memorial (and the affiliated community hospital) will be amazing -- lots of kids, travelers, untreated diseases-- I think it will be an exception program.

I'm not sure what the other post about the ED being 'hands off' means- but I'd love to hear more.