New grad job plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a recent graduate who is currently in the process of looking for a full-time position. I have passed naplex, but have not yet scheduled my MPJE.

I am willing to move to a different area of the country, but I'm primarily looking at states closer to the coasts as opposed to the midwest.

I'm wondering if it would be smart for me to wait on taking the MPJE for now, apply to jobs in multiple states to see what comes back, then take the appropriate state's MPJE once I accept a job? Or would it be better to simply pick a state and take that state's MPJE so that I am licensed, and then apply to jobs only within that state?

If I don't take the MPJE yet, I can cast a wider net by sending job applications to multiple states, but I'm not sure how much my lack of license would hurt my chances of landing something. Otherwise I could get licensed, and apply within one state, meaning my pool of possible jobs would be reduced.

Also, any recommendations on states with jobs, besides midwest? Any thoughts on NC, SC, TX?

And any other new grad job hunting advice would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to realize that most applicants you are competing against are already licensed so you are at a disadvantage if you are not.

My advise? Get license ASAP and don't be picky when applying for a job. Take whatever you can get. Remember you can always apply to another job once you have some pharmacist experience.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Why not apply to grad intern positions nationwide and wherever you get hired you can take the MPJE there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do realize the coasts have been 99.999999% saturated since mid-2007?

Don't you need to tell the NABP which states should get your Naplex score before you take it?

I talked to both a cvs and walgreens supervisor for out of state and both said they do not hire pharmacists or even spend time with interviewing them until they get licensed. Only exception is if you are already an intern with the company.

Thanks for all the responses thus far! It seems like the consensus is that it would probably be best to just pick a state and get licensed there, and then look for jobs within that state. Conversely, trailerpark did mention just looking for grad intern positions, though I'm not sure how abundant these are at this point (a couple months after most people have graduated).

You do realize the coasts have been 99.999999% saturated since mid-2007?
Can you elaborate on this? I know jobs in the middle of the country are certainly more available, but I still see listings online for states closer to the coasts, so I have to imagine there are still positions available. To clarify, I'm not restricting my search to big cities, I'm also interested in rural areas within these more desirable states.

Don't you need to tell the NABP which states should get your Naplex score before you take it?
Yes, you do, but you can transfer your score to any other state within 90 days of taking the exam

I talked to both a cvs and walgreens supervisor for out of state and both said they do not hire pharmacists or even spend time with interviewing them until they get licensed. Only exception is if you are already an intern with the company.
Thanks for the input, that's interesting. I know of some people from my class that were offered grad intern positions with these companies, but they interviewed for these when the retail recruiters came to our campus back in October. I was initially looking at residencies, otherwise it would have been much easier to interview with the recruiters at this time..one of the few times they came to us looking for employees vs. us going to them looking for jobs. Maybe some stores don't hire grad interns and therefore don't consider unlicensed graduates?

Thanks, and please keep the advice coming :)

Hi, I too am a new grad.

My story might be an exception, but I got offered a non-retail full time position before becoming licensed.

Basically, I didn't have a job lined up at graduation. Had been applying for positions in my saturated home state for months. I do have a few years intern experience, but my former employer wasn't hiring any new pharmacists.

Its possible to get one before becoming licensed, but I can't tell you how many places shot me down for interviews just because I wasn't licensed yet, not because I wasn't a good candidate for the job.

I lucked out. Through networking, I found a non-retail staff pharmacist position, applied, and have been hired on before sitting for boards. I would say unless you want to work in a retail environment and postpone licensure so you can gain experience as a grad intern before becoming a pharmacist, then get licensed ASAP and start applying for positions. I am relocating, but its only a few hours from home, so not too bad. There are some rural hospitals I have heard have who have hired new grads in my state before licensure, but those were typically students who recently completed a rotation there and had inside connections

I am not licensed but applying to non-retail jobs everywhere as I'm concerned about the saturation and really would rather work hospital than retail. I'm having the same dilemma as I have decided to put off taking my exam since I'm applying to literally all over the country. Some of my job applications wouldn't even let me apply if I chose the "not-licensed" option. I've tried to explain why on some part of my applications. I'm not sure if that's the right way to go. I currently live on the east coast and have family on the west coast but am looking south and some of Midwest. I am considering simply getting licensed in my home state and trying to apply to jobs in the hospitals I've done my APPEs at.

"You do realize the coasts have been 99.999999% saturated since mid-2007?"
Can you elaborate on this? I know jobs in the middle of the country are certainly more available, but I still see listings online for states closer to the coasts, so I have to imagine there are still positions available. To clarify, I'm not restricting my search to big cities, I'm also interested in rural areas within these more desirable states.

I was feeling a bit sarcastic when I posted that. Yes, there are still jobs on the coasts, but the competition for them is extremely fierce, especially in the desirable areas of the coast. Conversely, areas of the Midwest aside from big cities, is one of the best places to look for a job. This doesn't mean you can't get a job near the coast, but in my opinion, your best bet will be to get a job wherever you can, and then once you have experience, you will be in a better position to transfer to a job on the coast.
Along with the advice others have given, most employers are going to want you to be licensed in their state before they waste time on you (there are exceptions, but those exceptions are generally for people already working for the company or who already have experience in that area.) So your best bet it to pick a place where you are likely to get a job, get license there, get a job, get experience, get a license for the state you want to work in, then start applying to jobs in that state (or another alternative, though more costly, is to get multiple license from the get-go in both the state you are most likely to get a job in, and the state(s) you dream of working in.)

I was feeling a bit sarcastic when I posted that. Yes, there are still jobs on the coasts, but the competition for them is extremely fierce, especially in the desirable areas of the coast. Conversely, areas of the Midwest aside from big cities, is one of the best places to look for a job. This doesn't mean you can't get a job near the coast, but in my opinion, your best bet will be to get a job wherever you can, and then once you have experience, you will be in a better position to transfer to a job on the coast.
Along with the advice others have given, most employers are going to want you to be licensed in their state before they waste time on you (there are exceptions, but those exceptions are generally for people already working for the company or who already have experience in that area.) So your best bet it to pick a place where you are likely to get a job, get license there, get a job, get experience, get a license for the state you want to work in, then start applying to jobs in that state (or another alternative, though more costly, is to get multiple license from the get-go in both the state you are most likely to get a job in, and the state(s) you dream of working in.)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Why not you try retail that's not the big 3 like maybe a Target or grocery chain?