New grad- retail questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phrmgrl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve been lurking for a while and I thought this would be a good place to post - I’m a new grad (retail) and have a few questions that I have tried researching but can’t seem to find good answers for.

1. How do you decide WHICH potassium tablet product to use? Microencapsulated vs. wax matrix – obviously if tabs vs caps are specified I can figure it out, but if the rx just comes over as KCL 20meq ER tab (or SR, or CR, or whatever) what do you use? And what’s the difference?

2. I thought you could not substitute epinephrine autoinjectors for epi-pens due to the BX rating – is this still true? I have been sticking with brand name, but other people seem to be ok with substituting.

3. What advice do you give patients with regard to multivitamins and probiotics? My view is that vitamins are largely unnecessary in a healthy population, and to stick with the “branded” probiotics…

4. How do you get comfortable with giving vaccines? I did the training, and have been giving them, but I’m just nervous with flu season coming up and all that I’m going to miss a contraindication or something.

If you have any resources/links you could point me to, I’d appreciate it, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. How do you decide WHICH potassium tablet product to use? Microencapsulated vs. wax matrix – obviously if tabs vs caps are specified I can figure it out, but if the rx just comes over as KCL 20meq ER tab (or SR, or CR, or whatever) what do you use? And what’s the difference?

If the prescription is written for K-Tabs you give the wax matrix tablets. If it's written for Micro-K or capsules you give the capsules. If the prescription is written for anything else give the Microecncapsulated tablets.

2. I thought you could not substitute epinephrine autoinjectors for epi-pens due to the BX rating – is this still true? I have been sticking with brand name, but other people seem to be ok with substituting.

Your state law takes control here. If they follow the AB rule as most states do, you can't substitute.....

3. What advice do you give patients with regard to multivitamins and probiotics? My view is that vitamins are largely unnecessary in a healthy population, and to stick with the “branded” probiotics…
I do not recommend multivitamins. The evidence for probiotics is shifting but there is way too much crap on the shelves. The best ones are the brands requiring refrigeration like Lactinex

4. How do you get comfortable with giving vaccines? I did the training, and have been giving them, but I’m just nervous with flu season coming up and all that I’m going to miss a contraindication or something.

You just give them over and over. How do you check for contraindications on any prescription? You just do it.... Review them with each patient every time you give a flu shot.