New Grads: How have you and your classmates fared finding a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dodds08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to how the job market is for you newly licensed PTs. I know graduates in other fields have to be geographically flexible because they can't find any jobs locally (RN's Pharmacists etc). Is this the same for PTs?

Also, is there a lot of opportunity for full time positions? I hear the trend these days are to hire people only part time.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think by now the majority of my classmates and I have found jobs. However, I was one of the first who had a job secured prior to taking the boards... We graduated in December and there were some classmates just securing jobs in April-May, and I know of at least one who doesn't have a job yet.... (There are 36 in my class.)

We graduated on 5/10, and all of my friends and I have full-time jobs in either Dallas or Austin. This spring several recruiters and professors told us that we may not be able to stay in Dallas since the market is more saturated than previous years, but it hasn't been a problem for any of us. I literally got a job offer 2 days after graduation, and I didn't start looking until the end of April.

I haven't heard of anyone having difficulty finding a full-time position.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there are any unemployed physical therapists it is because they are holding out for a specific type of job they really want, they want a very specific schedule, etc. Among PT's who want to work full-time and are willing to take a position even if it isn't their dream job, there are essentially none that are unemployed. You shouldn't really have to move to find a job as a PT either, but I suppose that could vary across the country. Obviously the economy and the dynamics of things could change a lot over the next 3-7 years for all of us still in undergrad, but there isn't much that predicts difficulty for PT's in finding reliable employment.

Reactions: 1 user
I passed my boards in April. Found out the results first week of May--Tuesday. Did a phone interview the Friday after getting my results and got the job on Monday.

I graduated in May. Moved to California last week. I interviewed with 4 companies this past week and was offered a position at all 4 companies.

What kind of salary offers did you receive from each of the four companies as a new grad?

One more data point: I am currently doing a rotation at a large teaching hospital (700+ beds) in SC. The PT/OT department has about 40 therapists, 75% PTs/PTAs and 25% OTs/OTAs. They plan no new hires for the upcoming fiscal year which starts in Oct 2014.

I graduated in May. Moved to California last week. I interviewed with 4 companies this past week and was offered a position at all 4 companies.
Lolawashere, did they offer you to start before you take/pass NPTE?

I also interviewed 2 places before graduation and had 2 job offers. I take the NPTE on July 23.

I am a recent graduate that will be taking my boards in October. I haven't found any jobs in my search that are willing to take new grads as of yet. I applied to four jobs in the New York area and I haven't heard any kind of response. Right now, I am not open to moving out of the New York area and if anyone has any suggestions you can inbox me or message here.

Jdaniels, I was offered 72k-90k. 2 Outpatient Orthos offered 72k, SNF offered 89k, a pediatric offered 90k. I accepted the pediatric position full time (35 hrs/wk) and am doing the SNF part time (20 hr/week)

What kind of salary offers did you receive from each of the four companies as a new grad?
Jdaniels, I was offered 72k-90k. 2 Outpatient Orthos offered 72k, SNF offered 89k, a pediatric offered 90k. I accepted the pediatric position full time (35 hrs/wk) and am doing the SNF part time (20 hr/week)

Lolawashere, did they offer you to start before you take/pass NPTE?
Hey Easb, yes did offer me to start prior to passing the NPTE. I requested that they wait so I could focus solely on passing the NPTE.

Lola, all in CA, i'm assuming? Those numbers are outstanding for a new grad, right?!

Hey Easb, yes did offer me to start prior to passing the NPTE. I requested that they wait so I could focus solely on passing the NPTE.
That's sounds great! Congrats! May I ask where in CA you are :)?

Lola, all in CA, i'm assuming? Those numbers are outstanding for a new grad, right?!

JDaniels, yes all in CA. I'm blessed that I was offered so much. From what my classmates have been offered in different states, it's definitely not the norm.

That's sounds great! Congrats! May I ask where in CA you are :)?

Easb, I'm 45 minutes north of LA.

Hi! I graduated last Yr may 2013 took my boards in July nd was working by august... when I was interviewing I quickly learned I just have to take what I get a lot of outpt practices did not want to hire new grads or were trying to pay me very little and work sucky hours (late evening) I did have a couple of classmates that didn't get jobs till sept-oct nd lost them because hospitals were doing cut backs... I'm in MD BTW

Wow that is a lot! The avg starting in MD for outpt was mid 60s