About the ads

New Health Section?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by Nino013, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to PCAT Destroyer

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. Nino013

Nino013

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I have a question for my girlfriend who is a pre-pharm student. What are you guys studying off of for the health section? It includes 1) nutrition, 2) diseases, and 3) drugs. I'm guessing it's not on the Kaplan books because it is newly added on. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to where the breakdown is found:

http://www.pcatweb.info/downloads/about/PCAT_Test_Blueprint_and_Sample_Items_2011_12.pdf
  2. xtsukiyox

xtsukiyox Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    That seems to match up to what was covered in my microbiology class, more or less. They shook up the test since I took it, so I can't be of much more help than that. Tell her good luck! :luck:
  3. pharmerbird

pharmerbird

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you! I read through it but I'm really curious as to how many questions for each section there are.. or how it is broken down? I couldn't find a thread for that....
  4. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  5. pharmerbird

pharmerbird

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  6. Mouat

Mouat

Fellow [Any Field]
    Bump!

How are you guys studying for this 'Health' section (this year pearson is putting emphasis on this section) that includes a) Nutrition b) Diseases c) Drugs?

What drugs are test takers expected to know?
  7. Prepharm0425

Prepharm0425

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was wondering the same thing a while back considering many courses we take in biology just give us information on how our body work and much less focus on drugs, nutrition, and health. However if you look at McGraw Hills PCAT book and look at the final exam they have for Biology at the back of the book, they have loads of health related questions, that I am ASSUMING would be similar to how the health questions on the actual PCAT would be like.
  8. xtsukiyox

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I took the PCAT last cycle, before they reformulated it. Any info I have on the health section is pure speculation.

Food for thought: If you understand how a system works, you should be able to explain what the downstream effects of a drug might logically be, given the method of action of the drug. For example, what would a proton pump inhibitor do in the stomach?

This is the sort of approach my first quarter physiology class in pharma school is taking. It requires you to comprehend and apply the material at a much higher level than typically expected in undergrad.

Prepharm0425, I think we'd all be interested to hear your reflections on how the material you used helped prepare you (or didn't!) for the actual PCAT once you take it. :)
  9. trangalang

trangalang

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That link is labeled incorrectly, it should say 2012-2013. But anyway, health isn't a new section. All of your old review books should cover it because it's not new and has been on past exams.
    Here is the blueprint from last year and Health is on it:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...R4TjYi&sig=AHIEtbTT5eoaksq1QQLC65FJYKb98xQ63A
    :) Hope this helps.