New HY drugs to know for 2014 exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shigella123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's gather all the new drugs that we should know for the exam so we don't miss out on them while studying on our own. Please, add any that are either NEW or NOT in FA, but are HY. It will be greatly appreciated by many especially those near exam. So, please lets contribute:

I'll add the ones I came across in FA and will add more later:

Micro:
Plasmodium
-if resistant, use mefloquine or atovaquone/proguanil

Trypanosoma cruzi
Rx-Benznidazole

Babesia
-Atovaquone + azithromycin

Cryptosporidium
nitazoxanide in immunocompetent hosts

5th gen Cephalo=
5th generation (ceftaroline)—broad gram-positive and gram-negative organism coverage, including MRSA; does not cover Pseudomonas.

Newer carbapenems include ertapenem (limited Pseudomonas coverage) and doripenem.

Cidofovir
TOXICITY Nephrotoxicity (coadminister with probenecid and IV saline to  toxicity).

NRTIs-
Emtricitabine (FTC)
----------------------------------------
IMMUNO ---

Basiliximab -

Monoclonal antibody - blokcs IL 2R -
For Kidney transplant +R
ejection prophylaxis.
Tox-Edema, hypertension, tremor

Cancer therapy Antibodies

Alemtuzumab
targets CD52 for CLL
Bevacizumab
targets VEGF ---for Colorectal cancer, renal cell carcinoma
Cetuximab targets EGFR ----For Stage IV colorectal cancer, head and neck cancer
Palivizumab targets RSV F protein for RSV prophylaxis for high-risk infants

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'll update as I go along:

Heme/onc
Procarbazine
MOA: Free radical formation, breaks DNA strands
Uses: Brain tumors (GBM), Hodkins lymphoma (MOPP)
Tox: Disulfiram-like reaction (which is the only entry it gets under the general category in the First aid General pharm section)
*Hypertensive crisis/Serotonin syndrome (instrinsic MAO inhibitor effects) <--- Gotten two questions on this (kaplan Q book, Pretest Pharm)
(easy to remember if you remember the MOA inhibitor Phenylzine)

Drug Reactions (General Pharm) I would then Add:
Hypertensive crisis/Serotonin syndrome: Phenylzine, Procarbazine, Linezolid*

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank a lot Ionian!! :)

Guys add drugs that are NEW in FA and those that are NOT in FA, but HY. It will be even better if you share your mnemonics to remember them...

Last edited:
dude you're just listing random chemo drugs without any rhyme or reason. nothing that the guy posted was high yield.

there are sooooooooo many tyrosine kinase inhibitor (nib) and monoclonal antibody drugs (mab) out there on the market now. beyond rituximab and the established anti-TNF-alpha drugs they're not going to be tested unless one of them is a wonder drug like imatinib that is game changing for a common disease.

I'll update as I go along:

Heme/onc
Procarbazine
MOA: Free radical formation, breaks DNA strands
Uses: Brain tumors (GBM), Hodkins lymphoma (MOPP)
Tox: Disulfiram-like reaction (which is the only entry it gets under the general category in the First aid General pharm section)
*Hypertensive crisis/Serotonin syndrome (instrinsic MAO inhibitor effects) <--- Gotten two questions on this (kaplan Q book, Pretest Pharm)
(easy to remember if you remember the MOA inhibitor Phenylzine)

Drug Reactions (General Pharm) I would then Add:
Hypertensive crisis/Serotonin syndrome: Phenylzine, Procarbazine, Linezolid*

Hmm maybe I am being stupid but I think Serotonin syndrome and Tyramine/hypertensive crisis are not technically the same thing?

Also I'd like to add that this is a good idea and that I also have in my notes that Procarbazine causes Leukemia.

Hmm maybe I am being stupid but I think Serotonin syndrome and Tyramine/hypertensive crisis are not technically the same thing?

Also I'd like to add that this is a good idea and that I also have in my notes that Procarbazine causes Leukemia.

They aren't the same thing, but, when a drug has MOA inhibitor like action, guess what?
Eat tyramine containing foods ---> Hypertensive crises
Combine with TCAs---> Serotonin syndrome

I guess I won't add any more what I consider worth it to annotate, as everyone is a just hating.

Can't wait till you get a pharm question you can't answer, and think "noone else knows that" -yeah the guy next to you, the one that got the 260, he did.

Suck it.

I guess I won't add any more what I consider worth it to annotate, as everyone is a just hating.

Can't wait till you get a pharm question you can't answer, and think "noone else knows that" -yeah the guy next to you, the one that got the 260, he did.

Suck it.
Those questions are easy. Eliminate the drugs that you do know that aren't the right answer, and you get left with the drug that you don't know, which is the correct answer.

Suck it.

I scored 270+ on step I and II. You don't need to memorize these low yield drugs.

No one needs to know these unless you are an oncologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored 270+ on step I and II. You don't need to memorize these low yield drugs.

No one needs to know these unless you are an oncologist.

With all due respect, you took 1 form out of the 30 available. Your sole experience doesn't trump everyone elses. I guess I'm saying, good for you, but you don't know everything.

You can't say, this or that wont be on step, again, when you have no experience with every form being tested. Low yield to you, was simply anything your form didnt see.

Well lets just remove everything from first aid that wasn't on your test, should make it much easier!

Hmm, I wonder why people annotate drugs from Uworld into first aid, aren't those low yield? They werent in first aid?

#sarcasm

Last edited:
dude you're just listing random chemo drugs without any rhyme or reason. nothing that the guy posted was high yield.

there are sooooooooo many tyrosine kinase inhibitor (nib) and monoclonal antibody drugs (mab) out there on the market now. beyond rituximab and the established anti-TNF-alpha drugs they're not going to be tested unless one of them is a wonder drug like imatinib that is game changing for a common disease.

1. When did you take Step 1/2?
2. Some constructive advice other than FA+ 3 Qbanks?

Again to my point, you think you are so right, did you know that the drugs he posted are already in first aid 2014?
I assume you were criticizing these: Alemtuzumab, Bevacizumab,Cetuximab, Palivizumab

All of which have been added to the immunosection in 2014 because people had them on their forms the previous year. Your credability is blown. You didn't even know these were added to firstaid. 3 of those are even in my 2013 copy -.-

You scream low yield, and only show your ignorance. And I won't listen to it anymore.

Last edited:
You scream low yield, and only show your ignorance. And I won't listen to it anymore.

I read this in the form of screamed metal lyrics. *thundering double bass pedal + guitar riffs*

Reactions: 2 users
Again to my point, you think you are so right, did you know that the drugs he posted are already in first aid 2014?
I assume you were criticizing these: Alemtuzumab, Bevacizumab,Cetuximab, Palivizumab

All of which have been added to the immunosection in 2014 because people had them on their forms the previous year. Your credability is blown. You didn't even know these were added to firstaid. 3 of those are even in my 2013 copy -.-

I think all the dude is saying is that random drugs in FA are not what's keeping you from a 270+. There are higher-yield things that people don't know that prevent them from a ridiculous score.. things that you should know before bothering memorizing drugs that aren't heralded as high-yield.

Low yield.

how about you use some common sense? you don't need to know the obscure monoclonal antibody for stage IV colorectal cancer...

Obviously, we all know that. Since you already know so much as you say, share what you think is HY, otherwise get your own threat to brag about yourself. Thank you!

Has anyone heard of a drug called rasburicase. i doubt this is in FA haven't seen it but it works like allopuinol to prevent tumor lysis syndrome associated urate nephropahty. just found out the hard way on one of the world Q's

gonna take a wild guess and say that our friend jello was indeed one out of the few 19% that got this q right?

Has anyone heard of a drug called rasburicase. i doubt this is in FA haven't seen it but it works like allopuinol to prevent tumor lysis syndrome associated urate nephropahty. just found out the hard way on one of the world Q's
Yeah. It converts Uric acid into allantoin which can be urinated out.

rasburicase- seen it in either in UW or new FA.

here's a q on it:

A 52 yr old comes to clinc with c/o enlarged neck mass and night sweats.after good work up,she is diagnosed with diffuse large B cell lymphoma and admitted for chemotherapy.on 3rd day of treatment ,she has decreased urine output,increased BUN with peaked T waves on ECG.
Which agent if administered would have prevented this renal impairment ?

A.Denosumab
B.Folinic acid
C.N acetylcysteine
D.Prednisolonr
E.Probenecid
F.Rasburicase

this is the world q i just did. i lowered it down to E and F easily. i knew probenecid isn't assoc with preventing tumor lysis but closest in hyperuricemia/gout tx. i'm guessing this is a prime example of eliminate all the wrong choices and it will be the one u don't know/never heard of.

Thanks for pointing out that this isn't in FA.

Ans=F
Rasburicase is a synthetic "Urate Oxidase"--Breaks down "Uric acid" into more water soluble "Allantoin"

Allopurinol is a "Xanthine Oxidase INHIBITOR" (Prevent conversion of Xanthine-----> Uric Acid)
Rasburicase=Breaks Down Uric Acid
Allupurinol=Blocks Synthesis of Uric Acid

how about you use some common sense? you don't need to know the obscure monoclonal antibody for stage IV colorectal cancer...

Of course you have to know about cetuximab! And you have to know that one of its common and well-known side effects is folliculitis of the face, neck, and upper chest area.

Very high yield.

(not srs)

Last edited:
Of course you have to know about cetuximab! And you have to know that one of its common and well-known side effects is follucilitis of the face, neck, and upper chest area.

MFW I annotated this into FA

url.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Of course you have to know about cetuximab! And you have to know that one of its common and well-known side effects is folliculitis of the face, neck, and upper chest area.

Very high yield.

(not srs)

Didn't know that. Thank you! Please, post more if you can.

Last edited:
opioid antagonists for EtOH dependence: naltrexone, nalmefene
opioid agonists for opioid dependence: methadone (full), buprenorphine (partial)
mixed agonist-antagonist opioid analgesics (kappa agonist, mu antagonist): butorphanol, nalbuphine, pentazocine
first-line for EtOH dependence: naltrexone, acamprosate
first-line for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: interferon-β, glatiramer acetate, dimethyl fumarate, teriflunomide
first-generation H1 blockers used as antiemetics (anticholinergic): dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine, meclizine, cyclizine
tx acute promyelocytic leukemia (M3 AML): all-trans-retinoic acid, arsenic trioxide
tx myelofibrosis: ruxolitnib (JAK inhibitor)
biologic DMARDs: anti-TNF: etanercept, adalimumab, golimumab, certolizumab; abatacept (CTLA4-Ig), rituximab, tocilizumab (IL-6R antagonist)
non-biologic DMARDs: leflunomide, sulfasalazine, hydroxychloroquine
CYP2C19 inhibitor: PPIs
CYP2C19 substrate (activated): clopidogrel
CFTR G551D: ivacaftor
TPMT substrates: azathioprine, 6-MP
CYP2D6 substrate (activated): codeine
HCV: sofosbuvir, simeprevir; plus ribavirin and peg-IFN
melatonin agonist: ramelteon
GH antagonist: pegvisomant
uterotonics: oxytocin, methylergonovine, prostaglandins (misoprostol > carboprost tromethine)

Last edited:
topical tx impetigo: mupirocin
divalproex = valproate
amoxapine = a TCA, but uniquely has antipsychotic (anti-D2) effects
anakinra = IL-1R antagonist

Last edited:
opioid antagonists for EtOH dependence: naltrexone, nalmefene
opioid agonists for opioid dependence: methadone (full), buprenorphine (partial)
mixed agonist-antagonist opioid analgesics (kappa agonist, mu antagonist): butorphanol, nalbuphine, pentazocine
first-line for EtOH dependence: naltrexone, acamprosate
first-line for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: interferon-β, glatiramer acetate, dimethyl fumarate, teriflunomide
first-generation H1 blockers used as antiemetics (anticholinergic): dimenhydrinate, diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine, meclizine, cyclizine
tx acute promyelocytic leukemia (M3 AML): all-trans-retinoic acid, arsenic trioxide
tx myelofibrosis: ruxolitnib (JAK inhibitor)
biologic DMARDs (?
Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs) : anti-TNF: etanercept, adalimumab, golimumab, certolizumab; abatacept (CTLA4-Ig), rituximab, tocilizumab (IL-6R antagonist)https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=jPLtsMh21rRnETvfpZfVzQ&bvm=bv.65397613,d.b2I
non-biologic DMARDs: leflunomide, sulfasalazine, hydroxychloroquine
CYP2C19 inhibitor: PPIs
CYP2C19 substrate (activated): clopidogrel
CFTR G551D: ivacaftor
TPMT substrates: azathioprine, 6-MP
CYP2D6 substrate (activated): codeine
HCV: sofosbuvir, simeprevir; plus ribavirin and peg-IFN
melatonin agonist: ramelteon
GH antagonist: pegvisomant

uterotonics: oxytocin, methylergonovine, prostaglandins (misoprostol > carboprost tromethine)

divalproex = valproate

-------------------------------------

These are new to me.
Are these all HY and a must know for the exam??

divalproex = valproate

These are new to me.

For the other Steps? Possibly. For Step 1? No.

divalproex = valproate

These are new to me.

My opinion:
-Definitely not HY or must know
-Amoxapine is the only one I would consider annotating, since it's a unique identifiable characteristic of a very HY drug class
-I would only consider learning the others if you're attaining 260+ territory, in which they'd be good to recognize as answer choices to help with elimination (but wouldn't be asked as the main Q). Below 260, there are more HY things one needs to give attention to.

In all fairness, you can never learn enough pharm, but yet again by the time you're ready to take 2CK those drugs are all gimmies anyway.

And just thought I'd point out that I got pimped on my IM rotation about the cefs effective against MRSA: ceftaroline and ceftobiprole.

Alemtuzumab is actually HY for CLL (more effective than chlorambucil).

Palivizumab is HY for RSV, although if they ask you for the initial Tx, the answer is always supportive > palivizumab (only use this for really severe disease).

Clindamycin + quinine is still good for Babesia, but increased side-effects relative to atovaquone + azithromycin has made the latter preferred. Both are correct though.

And just thought I'd point out that I got pimped on my IM rotation about the cefs effective against MRSA: ceftaroline and ceftobiprole.

If you were curious, they actually did put 5th gens in FA 2014.

yeah it's all high yield

especially the drugs that aren't even used in clinical practice

-I would only consider learning the others if you're attaining 260+ territory, in which they'd be good to recognize as answer choices to help with elimination (but wouldn't be asked as the main Q). Below 260, there are more HY things one needs to give attention to.

Agree with this. Helps with elimination at the 260+ level.