New Jersey hospital implements amazingly effective solution for ED overcrowding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like a logical solution...but does that also mean if someone comes in with a bad fracture or other trauma they won't give opiates?

If I were to roll into the ER with a badly broken leg or something, I would like some morphine ASAP

(Pardon my ignorance, I'm barely beyond pre-med level)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb question but isn't tramadol actually more addictive in reality than opiates? I seem to remember that from a neuro class I took years ago

I thought there was something about the SSRI component making it harder to quit once you get hooked?

Obviously I could be (probably am) wrong...

Rotated there as a student. They have an EM, fellowship trained pain management doc who is there to train the residents in nerve blocks, trigger point injections, epidurals and other good stuff. As I understood it, they haven't eliminated opioids completely, but just eliminated them as first line treatment.

Dumb question but isn't tramadol actually more addictive in reality than opiates? I seem to remember that from a neuro class I took years ago

Tramadol is a weak Mu agonist. Much weaker than morphine (1/6000th). It has some metabolite activity that may aid in analgesic effects. It does have SNRI activity but that should not contribute to it's abuse potential. On last month's episode of EMRAP, they had a really good review of tramadol. Since you're an M1, I'll assume you don't have EMRAP. In summary, not great for pain, increases the risk of seizures, and minor abuse potential (although it does exist).

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a fine plan.

Dude with broken leg gets tylenol and toradol
Dudette with chornic migraine, Fibro, RSD, IC gets dilaudid?

Great, they are still going to use opioids for chronic pain, the one place where it is least appropriate.
That's not at all what the plan is. Acute things can get it, but they'll try other things first. Chronic pain, they'll do almost anything possible to prevent opioid use.

Reactions: 1 user
Got it. All I had to go on was the article, which didn't make any sense.

Do they press ganey at that site?
That would be an interesting case.

It is like my undergraduate engineering degree; "It doesn't matter how you do, it is how you do relative to everyone else." (I had one class where the highest grade at the end of the semester was 29%.)

If everyone at the place is gets terrible scores, it really doesn't matter.

Tramadol is a weak Mu agonist. Much weaker than morphine (1/6000th). It has some metabolite activity that may aid in analgesic effects. It does have SNRI activity but that should not contribute to it's abuse potential. On last month's episode of EMRAP, they had a really good review of tramadol. Since you're an M1, I'll assume you don't have EMRAP. In summary, not great for pain, increases the risk of seizures, and minor abuse potential (although it does exist).

I attribute 95% of its effectiveness to the placebo effect. (At least in the short term. It might have some intrinsic value long term due to the SNRI activity.) It is interesting that for a subset of the patient population, it is a lot more acceptable now that it is a controlled substance.