New Master the Boards for Step3

Discussion in 'Kaplan Medical USMLE Forum' started by TofuNoodle, Apr 2, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. TofuNoodle

TofuNoodle

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi,
    A few days ago, border.com said that there would be a new edition of MTB3 on April 5, 2011. I can't find the link anymore and neither Amazon nor Kaplan websites advertise about it. I would like to know whether a new edition will actually be out soon or not, and if so, when?, please.
    Thanks.
  2. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    SDN Sponsor SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello TofuNoodle!

Let me check on this and I'll get back to you. Thank you!
  3. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    We sent a message but thought to share the info here, too:

We are not planning on releasing a new edition of Master the Boards Step 3 until 2014, though regularly we do release reprints with corrected errata.

Thank you for the inquiry!
  4. TofuNoodle

TofuNoodle

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the info. One more question..
    Where can I find the errata for MTB 2 (2010 edition) and MTB 3??
  5. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
  6. TofuNoodle

TofuNoodle

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks a lot!!
  7. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    You're welcome!
  8. Knicks

Knicks

SDN 7+ Year Member
  9. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello!

We will check on this and report back.

Thank you.
  10. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello,

We are working on updates, but don't have an errata sheet at this time. We will let you know when it is available.

Thank you for the inquiry!
  11. Knicks

Knicks

SDN 7+ Year Member
    OK thanks, any timetable as to when it will be released?

The "Dedication" page says, "You can be fully confident that you have, in one volume EVERYTHING you need to do well on Step 3." Written just like that, with the bolded word and everything.

That's a pretty ambitious statement to make, and I hope it's true. An errata sheet will help make it that much more true.
  12. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi Knicks,

We will keep you posted.

Please do let us know how you like the book. Your feedback is invaluable!

Thank you.
  13. reddevilmarch

reddevilmarch

What about Master The Boards Step 2 CK? new edition expected?
  14. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi! We will look into it.
  15. Shreev

Shreev

Medical Student
    amazon says there is a relaease on june 5 2012. Is this new edition or reprint with corrected errata form MTB 3
    Thanks. I have my exam in july, and want to make sure if its worth waiting for new edition
  16. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello Shreev!

The next new edition Master the Boards Step 3 will be released in 2014, though we release regularly reprints with corrected errata.
  17. RaraBovis

RaraBovis

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is a kindle edition going to be released soon? How will it be priced? Thanks.
  18. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hello RaraBovis!

We'll check into it. Thank you for asking!
  19. kunfu

kunfu

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I see amazon has a new edition for sale. What are the changes?
  20. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi kunfu: I am trying to procure a list of the changes, which I believe we are putting together.

RaraBovis: I'm also trying to confirm when a version will be available on the Kindle!
  21. centroles

centroles New Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    KaplanEmily,

Master the Boards 1st edition is a FANTASTIC book, very conceptual and consise and filled with awesome info.

But it is FULL of errors

Are these errors fixed on the new version of the book selling on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1607148439/ref=nosim/studentdoctor-20

Btw, here is a list of the errors in the book I've found online.

Supplment the below corrections with the actual book and you're set for the step 3...

pg 126 - first line treatment for osteoarthritis is Tylenol (acetaminophen) not NSAIDs - remember OA is not a true inflammatory condition - thus can be treated with Tylenol. The side effect profile of NSAIDs is much worse and shouldn't be used when not needed.

pg 147 - not an egregious error, but more a point of contention - under diagnostic testing - a decreased haptoglobin level is definitely found in intravascular hemolysis - but is variable and maybe normal in extravascular - what i read about this was kinda conflicting, but just something to keep in mind.

pg 149 - in the red text when referrring to the treatment of sickle cell: Hydroxyurea is indicated in any patient with greater than or equal to 3 crises a year

(i might be wrong on this one - i'm pretty sure I am - seen some places say 50, some say 55, some say 45+, some even say 40+) pg 172: The very bottom on the answer explanation - You should do an upper endoscopy on any patient over 40

(see above) pg 173: On Peptic Ulcer disease - last sentence - you should scope any patient over 40, not 45

pg 197 - Ursodeoxycholic acid is not used in the treatment of PSC - From Epocrates: "Although UDCA typically improves liver tests... a positive effect of UDCA on PSC has been difficult to demonstrate... more recent evidence suggests that high-dose UDCA may fail to show an improvement in survival. Of further relevance, this trial was terminated early because of concern over adverse effects (more patients in the treated group reached one of the pre-established clinical end points: hepatic decompensation, cholangiocarcinoma, liver transplantation, or death). [45] Therefore, UDCA at any dose cannot currently be recommended for the treatment of PSC"
    --- instead treatment should be Cholestryamine for pruritis and Liver transplant as definitive therapy

pg 209 - Ca channel blockers are considered first line in the preventative therapy of cluster headaches

pg. 254 - "Lumpectomy with radiation treatment of the site at the breast is equal to modified radical mastectomy in tumors up to 4 cm." - if greater than or equal to 4 cm, you need to perform radical mastectomy

pg 256: At the table on the top for the 3rd colum with "Three family members, etc." the bottom of the column should ready: "Colonscopy at age 25, then every 1-2 years"

pg 298 - Under managment of acute cholecystitis - #2 should read "These are followed by EARLY cholecystectomy (after 24-48 hours)" --- this has been shown to be best management strategy.

pg. 315 - The treatment for Acute epididymitis for males < 35 should have Ceftriaxone as the drug listed not cipro (and doxycycline is also spelled wrong).
    pg. 5 midway down, typo: should read "interferon" not "interreron"

pg. 380 - in the blue box - in the Diagnostic significance column - it has Trisomy 21 listed 2 times. The second trisomy 21 should be Trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome) --- while you're at it, add in that Inhibin A is increased for T21 and decreased in T18

pg. 382 - the 2nd bullet point at the top - the sugar values are backwards: it should be 180 mg/dL at 1 hour and 140 mg/dL at 3 hours (the 2 hour value is correct)

page 390, the answer should be triple therapy. The most effective at reducing transmission is triple therapy. One drug can not be better than 3 drugs at reducing transmission particularly when there is an increasing prevalence of Zidovudine resistant HIV.
    hand grip increases afterload, which leads to decrease of HOCM and MVP.
    pg 209 - Ca channel blockers are considered first line in the preventative therapy of cluster headaches
    page 246-247....the table seems right, but in the text, proximal rta is actually type 2, not type 1, while distal RTA is actually type 1, not type 2 as they have listed. this could really mix someone up.
    " HOCM murmur decreases while MVP murmur INCREASES with Handgrip"
    Hey guys..I caught two very big mistakes in Master the Boards..Both in the Obgyn section..I love the book, but its kind of scary because these mistakes are not small..Please also post if you find any further mistakes:

1. pg. 444 - Gynecology - Go to the middle of the page where it says Diagnosis. It says "The results are reported as a T-score: A T-score > -2.5 indicates osteoporosis"
    CORRECTION: A T score < -2.5 indicates osteoporosis

http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opbmd.html

2. pg. 382 - Obstetrics

Top of the page where it talks about confirmatory tests for diabetes in pregnancy, go to the second bullet point it says: " Abnormal plasma glucose measurements are >140 at 1hr., >155 at 2 hrs, and > 180 at 3 hours
    CORRECTION: these should be flipped. The correct sequence for diagnosis is: abnormal plasma glucose measurements are >180 at 1 hr., >155 at 2 hr., and >140 at 3 hours
    Yes, on page #380, also mistaks Trisomy21-->18.
    Pages # 246 and # 247 in nephrology section of the MTB book two mistakes
    Its should be Type II RTA instead of Type I
    and on the next page # 247 it should be Type I RTA instead of Type II
    I think they just switched the headings on these two pages.
    Still a good book except some minor errors here and there.
    on page 184 (GI section), it's written that Gardner's syndrome does not require any additional screenings and on the table at the bottom of the page, it is grouped with other syndromes that require no extra screening recommendations. However, Gardner's and FAP have the same genetic mutation and are now grouped together. Even if they weren't grouped together, the fact that ~100% of Gardner's colonic polyps eventually lead colorectal cancer and that it is AD inherited should indicate screening should be done at an early age.
    page 339
    Galactosemia in neonate is also contraindication to breastfeeding
    It says that Mitral valve prolapse with even regurgitaion does not need endocarditis Prophylaxis but I have been able to verify with a few medical references including Harrison-the recent update- and Washington manual that MR with regurgitation needs prophylaxis.

the author boldly claims that there is no prophylatic therapy for cluster headache with some rather unconvincing logic, but I have read from several respectful sources that beta blockade or Calcium channel blockade must be given for prophylatic RX for cluster HA.

I also found this misleading information about ASCUS in Pap smear results. It says that if pap results in ASUC, the patient need HPV testing, But it does not mention the important fact that if the patient is a high risk group, ASUCS must mandate immediate Colposcopy biopsy.
    for colonoscopy screening, it says if you have HNPCC begin screening at age 25, then every 1-2 years. However, go to the next chapter, and it will give you a table that says you should screen at age 25, then every 10 years. Well, which is it? (I believe it's every 1-2 years)

Another example: When talking about renal tubular acidosis, it refers to Type I as "proximal" and type II as "distal." However, the chart on the SAME PAGE lists Type I as "distal" and type II as "proximal." (Type I is distal)

A third example: It says any head trauma with loss of consciousness should lead to head CT. Fine. But right afterwards is a box with the following: "Loss of consciousness [does not equal] CT scan." I thought you just said you SHOULD get a CT with LOC?!?!?!
    Page 94, Pheochromocytoma, treatment.

1. Phenoxybenzamine (alpha blockade) first to control blood pressure.

Without alpha blockade, patients' blood pressure can significantly drop intra-operatively.

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY BP WOULD DROP IF ALPHA BLOCKERS ARE NOT USED ??
    (I guess the function of alpha blockers is to lower BP)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Page 144-145, Question regarding Anemia of Chronic Disease.

Q - A patient comes with end stage renal disease..........hematocrit of 28 with an MCV of 68......What do u expect to find?
    A - The correct answer is C.
    Use of alpha blockers before beta blockers

Beta-adrenergic blockade should then be used for treatment of -adrenergic symptoms such as

flushing, pounding heart, or tachycardia. It is important to institute alpha blockade first, because

blocking vasodilating 2 receptors without also blocking vasoconstricting 1 receptors can lead to

hypertensive crisis if serum norepinephrine levels are high.

Acute Epididymitis- you DON'T treat with cipro and ceftriaxone, you treat with doxy and ceftriaxone because you are treating Chlamydia and N.gonnorhea...
    usmleworld also that cipro has no role in the treatment of acute epididymitis.
  22. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi centroles - We are very pleased to hear you find the MTB book so valuable. Thank you for the comprehensive list! We will forward to our curriculum team to look into. We'll check against the revisions made, too.
  23. RooRooBears

RooRooBears

Hello,

As previously posted by Knicks on October 31, 2011 - have there been any official forms for the errors made in Master the Boards Step 3 (1st edition, 2009)?

It's been almost 1 year now and it still hasn't been listed on http://www.kaptest.com/publishing#medicine. With a straight answer please - will one be released?

If so, what is an honest and realistic timeline to expect its release?

Thanks
  24. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    RooRooBears - you make a good point, and my apologies for not providing more definitive answers by now! I am on a mission to return with specific information for you, one way or the other.

Thank you very much for following up on this request!
  25. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi,

I have been trying to ascertain a date for the release of an update for the first edition, but do not have one yet. Your requests have shown us there is a demand for this document, so it is being written.

Thank you!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  26. Syncity

Syncity

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Emily, it says on Amazon that s new version of MTB CK is available in December of this year. Is that correct?
  27. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi Syncity -

Yes, a new edition is coming out very shortly. Thanks for checking!
  28. Knicks

Knicks

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Glad to see others have been [reading my posts] and wanting this too.
  29. KaplanEmily

KaplanEmily Exhibitor

Non-Student
    Hi all,

We considered carefully the update to the first edition of Master the Boards Step 3. There were a few corrections but many clinical updates included in the new edition, so an 'errata' sheet is not feasible. The new edition has been available over 6 months.