New MCAT/ Old MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Jigsaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a senior Biochemistry major in a private university in California. I took a KAPLAN MCAT Prep course this summer in order to prepare for my August MCAT. I took the MCAT on 8/15/2014 and I just received my scores back about a month ago. The score I received is clearly not satisfactory 9 BS, 9 PS, 6 VR (24). English is my second language. I am currently registered to take the MCAT in January before the change, but I am finding it hard to balance school and studying for the MCAT. I feel as though I am going to burn myself out since I just finished studying every day over summer. I also notice that during school exam weeks I end up studying only one day. I am worried that my score won't improve a lot since I am technically studying even less than I did over summer. I also am thinking of applying to Masters of Science Programs (Indiana University, Drexel, USF, Western University COM, Touro COM) in order to ensure that I am prepared for medical school. I originally planned on applying to medical school during June 2015 while I simply work/research during my gap year. However, I am now thinking of applying to Masters of Science programs for my year off while I apply to medical schools. Should I continue studying for the MCAT while in school (risk of getting same score) or should I retake the new MCAT this summer through the Masters of Science Programs (assuming I get accepted)?

Members don't see this ad.

definitely take the new MCAT if you aren't ready to take the current MCAT. The only thing worse than getting the same score is getting even a lower score, which unfortunately I have seen MANY times on this forum due to inadequate preparation.
Don't ever take the MCAT if you aren't ready. Trust me. I also took the MCAT twice (the first being a score even worse than yours) and scored a very competitive score the second time which has been asked about in all my interviews. If you get the same/lower score, you will be asked about it if you get interviews and it will most likely affect you negatively.
Let me know if you need help with your MCAT studying (PM me).