New MCAT or old MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Textbook warrior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard a lot of things about both. I plan to get into med school year 2016 -- get my bachelors by the end of next fall. As of now, I am very busy with school and important ECs. I already did the MCAT once but ate utter **** in the biological section and did alright in the other two sections. Frankly if I had time I would've preferred to do the old mcat as I can study based off of practice tests, kaplan, etc but since I am short on time I think I'll have to do the new one. Will there be any decent programs to study from? Practice tests? should I work hard and do the old one? or take my time and do the new one?? what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

well I can tell you that the trial section for the new mcat ******* sucked (I had the all biochem one). would take the old one if I was you.

then again 56% was apparently in the top quarter for the biochem section so idk lol
You're right.... I hate standardized tests :x

I think it would be easier for you to re-take the old one since you are familiar with the format, sections and can maybe use the same study materials. But the question here is, will you be ready by January? Also, what did you get last time, tell us roughly and what is your desired score range?

And yes, in both my MCAT attempts, I happened to get the biochem section and it was brutal!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be easier for you to re-take the old one since you are familiar with the format, sections and can maybe use the same study materials. But the question here is, will you be ready by January? Also, what did you get last time, tell us roughly and what is your desired score range?

And yes, in both my MCAT attempts, I happened to get the biochem section and it was brutal!
I haven't gotten the marks back yet. But I know I didn't get higher than 22/24. I guess I'll have to be ready in January. The new MCAT looks just..awful.

So I've heard a lot of things about both. I plan to get into med school year 2016 -- get my bachelors by the end of next fall. As of now, I am very busy with school and important ECs. I already did the MCAT once but ate utter **** in the biological section and did alright in the other two sections. Frankly if I had time I would've preferred to do the old mcat as I can study based off of practice tests, kaplan, etc but since I am short on time I think I'll have to do the new one. Will there be any decent programs to study from? Practice tests? should I work hard and do the old one? or take my time and do the new one?? what do you think?

Here is how I would rephrase the question: ~ 6 hour exam (new) or ~3 hour exam (old)? Those are your options. A minority of schools might be insistent upon the new exam only for future classes, but I believe most will accept the old scores for this cycle and the one after it.

Reactions: 1 user
If memorization is your issue, you may prefer the new MCAT. I read somewhere that it is less focused on memorization and more focused on analysis and critical thinking. I don't remember exactly where I read it, but most of my readings have been from AAMC and reliable blogs. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edit: A bit of a stretch on my part, but...
"No longer is it humanly possible to memorize every fact relevant to the practice of medicine. What is more important for physicians of the future is an ability to think critically and to have the necessary reasoning skills to know where to seek answers and how to solve problems in the clinical environment."
-Darrell G. Kirch, M.D.
AAMC President and CEO

https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/march2012/276772/word.html

If memorization is your issue, you may prefer the new MCAT. I read somewhere that it is less focused on memorization and more focused on analysis and critical thinking. I don't remember exactly where I read it, but most of my readings have been from AAMC and reliable blogs. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edit: A bit of a stretch on my part, but...
"No longer is it humanly possible to memorize every fact relevant to the practice of medicine. What is more important for physicians of the future is an ability to think critically and to have the necessary reasoning skills to know where to seek answers and how to solve problems in the clinical environment."
-Darrell G. Kirch, M.D.
AAMC President and CEO

https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/march2012/276772/word.html
I wish the old MCAT was about memorizing facts. It's not. They both focus on critical thinking and what not.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish the old MCAT was about memorizing facts. It's not. They both focus on critical thinking and what not.

Well the letter I posted implied that the MCAT is moving towards more of an emphasis on critical thinking.

Note that on the current MCAT there are ~13 freestanding questions. They are not attached to a passage so they require that you bring memorized facts to the table. I state this so that people don't misread your post into thinking that no memorization is required.

That being said, it seems like the general change is going to be a greater critical thinking to memorization ratio.

The new MCAT is like the old MCAT, it emphasizes critical thinking but has a science flavor. The new MCAT will be longer, with more complex Bio/Biochem topics added, but it is largely testing the same skills. Med school will be all about memorization, believe me, but the exam seeks to do more. Otherwise your grades should reflect your ability to memorize science factoids. The new MCAT even has 15 standalone Qs, so that is still there as well. Check out our article on the new MCAT.

Here is how I would rephrase the question: ~ 6 hour exam (new) or ~3 hour exam (old)? Those are your options. A minority of schools might be insistent upon the new exam only for future classes, but I believe most will accept the old scores for this cycle and the one after it.

Another instance where WingedOx feels old:

The MCAT is seriously only 3 hours long now?