New medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ral22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read that Seton Hall is opening a medical school with a starting class of fall 2017. What is everyone's thoughts on going to a newly opened medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The LCME would not give preliminary accreditation or accreditation to a school that is not able to provide an adequate education to its students, so while the school would be new and you won't find match lists yet, I personally would not mind going to a new school.

Reactions: 5 users
The newest medical schools who will be enrolling their first class in the next few years is at the bottom of this page from the LCME. These ones are "pre-accredited" meaning they'll hopefully receiving probationary status soon. Seton Hall isn't on the list... If they are founding a new medical school, they will have to petition for accreditation before they can start any recruitment activities.

Keep in mind this is just MD schools - there are definitely new DO schools that are coming on the scene in the next few years, just not on this list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things to ask:

1. Is there a hospital attached or near?
Third and fourth year are almost entirely in a hospital.
2. How far is the commute to clinical site?
3. Am I assigned to a clinical location (best case scenario) or do I have to find my own clinical sites (worst case scenario)?

Things to ask:

3. Am I assigned to a clinical location (best case scenario) or do I have to find my own clinical sites (worst case scenario)?

Hospital is in conjunction with the Hackensack, NJ one, I've read (which is a really good hospital)

i'm wondering if it's going to be MD or DO... if MD, then it would be weird having 2 MD schools within 10 minutes of each other (UMDNJ is also in the area)

i'm wondering if it's going to be MD or DO... if MD, then it would be weird having 2 MD schools within 10 minutes of each other (UMDNJ is also in the area)

It might be weird, but that happens all over the East Coast. Not unheard of.

I'm guessing MD and Cooper recently opened in Camden which is right across the river from 4 or 5 MD programs in Philly

"Health Partners. HackensackUHN also enjoys clinical and academic affiliations with some of the nation’s most well-renowned health systems, hospitals and universities, including: CityMD, Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, MinuteClinic, North Shore-LIJ Health System, NYU Langone Medical Center’s Division of Pediatric Surgery, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, St. George’s University, Statesir Cancer Center at CentraState Medical Center, and Stevens Institute of Technology."

looks like the Caribbeans just lost another US clinical site

Reactions: 2 users
I read this story on NJ.com too. I get the feeling that it's most likely a MD school. I also like that it's immediately affiliated with a good hospital and solid university so I think it should be a good option.

I read this story on NJ.com too. I get the feeling that it's most likely a MD school. I also like that it's immediately affiliated with a good hospital and solid university so I think it should be a good option.

its only downside will be its cost to attend. SHU ugrad is already an expensive uni to attend, and i can't imagine how much they'd charge you for their med school

its only downside will be its cost to attend. SHU ugrad is already an expensive uni to attend, and i can't imagine how much they'd charge you for their med school
And as a resident of NJ I can attest that this is not a cheap place to live and that area is one of the least affordable. Either it is affordable and it is a terrible area or it is a great place and is extremely expensive

And as a resident of NJ I can attest that this is not a cheap place to live and that area is one of the least affordable. Either it is affordable and it is a terrible area or it is a great place and is extremely expensive

...not to mention the questionable safety of the area. did a quick search and found that Hackensack hospital is 45 mins from SHU... that'll be a fun commute to 3rd and 4th years for those who attend

...not to mention the questionable safety of the area. did a quick search and found that Hackensack hospital is 45 mins from SHU... that'll be a fun commute to 3rd and 4th years for those who attend
The proposed medical school is going to be in Nutley which is 25 minutes (16 minutes without traffic) so it is a little closer

Members don't see this ad :)
And they will probably take their cue from Rutgers and run shuttles in between

It says they are taking part of the Hoffmann La Roche campus which is in Nutley

It says they are taking part of the Hoffmann La Roche campus which is in Nutley

in that case, id rather go to umdnj if i stay in state. not worth breaking the bank unless you live in northern jersey

I'm guessing MD and Cooper recently opened in Camden which is right across the river from 4 or 5 MD programs in Philly

5 med schools in the city limits alone. Plus Cooper in Camden, plus the UMDNJ DO school (Isn't it Rowan now? I can't keep up), plus Penn State rotates at a lot of the same suburban/exurban sites as the Philly schools.

in that case, id rather go to umdnj if i stay in state. not worth breaking the bank unless you live in northern jersey
Would you prefer Rutgers-NJMS or Rutgers-RWJMS (it's Rutgers now that they merged. UMDNJ has ceased to exist)

Things to ask:

1. There's always a hospital somewhere. LCME isn't going to give a go to a school without at least a tentative agreement for 3rd year rotations.
2. This is debatable. At the majority of schools you're going to be at varying locations for clinical years. Your commute will vary based on where you choose to live.
3. I've never heard of an LCME school forcing students to find their own clinical sites.

Will be a private school, so will probably cost bonkers. But NJ could use another one with the amount of premeds the state churns out.

Last edited:
Another new med school in Jersey?

...in coming news, Princeton to announce plans to found new med school.

Another new med school in Jersey?

...in coming news, Princeton to announce plans to found new med school.
While I sense sarcasm, Princeton having a med school is unlikely. They pride themselves on focusing on undergrads and not having professional schools

1. There's always a hospital somewhere. LCME isn't going to give a go to a school without at least a tentative agreement for 3rd year rotations.
2. This is debatable. At the majority of schools you're going to be at varying locations for clinical years. Your commute will vary based on where you choose to live.
3. I've never heard of an LCME school forcing students to find their own clinical sites.

1+2. When I was applying, I wanted a school IN or immediately next to a hospital where clinical rotations would occur. I found one. Look at Quinnipiac for a school with a 2 hour (in traffic) commute to clinical sites.

3. Look at NYMC for a school that makes you find your own sites. They have contracts with hospitals, but you compete with your classmates for spots. I luckily found a school where you are placed, no competition, at the same hospital.

One of the problems new schools have is finding their "sea legs" and figuring out how to deliver curricular content. On the plus side, people who are entrepreneurial or like being pioneers have the chance to build something.

One of the problems new schools have is finding their "sea legs" and figuring out how to deliver curricular content. On the plus side, people who are entrepreneurial or like being pioneers have the chance to build something.
Do you think you would suffer come Match Day by choosing a new school or can you prove yourself with the Step exams?

1+2. When I was applying, I wanted a school IN or immediately next to a hospital where clinical rotations would occur. I found one. Look at Quinnipiac for a school with a 2 hour (in traffic) commute to clinical sites.

3. Look at NYMC for a school that makes you find your own sites. They have contracts with hospitals, but you compete with your classmates for spots. I luckily found a school where you are placed, no competition, at the same hospital.

I'll have to ask one of my good friends who's an NYMC grad about that. Having some sites that are just more popular and limited spots isn't the same thing as "having to find your own site" (like a lot of carib schools).

Quinnipiac didn't exist back when I was in school, but what exactly defines the commute? Is it one required rotation that's far out, or are all the clinical sites far away? What's forcing the students to live 2 hours away from their rotations? It's not uncommon for students to pick up and move between the 2nd and 3rd year (Drexel/Commonwealth/Mich State being examples of this). I get that having things like the library near where you're working can be helpful, but having everyone at a single clinical site is the exception rather than the rule... and for good reason, it can help balance out weaknesses at each site and lets students have a little choice in what they want to see. Some of my best 3rd year rotations were in the middle of nowhere.

Absolutely thr truth. ..HORRIBLE COST OF LIVING IN NJ PERIOD.

does anyone have any more info on this? They don't have a website, and I emailed the grad office and haven't heard back yet.