New member.. Here's my situation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaudiestMango4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

As I said I am a new member to the forums.. However I have spent 2 years or so browsing and reading through the forums on a semi regular basis. I just wrapped up my sophomore yeah and have a current cumulative GPA of 3.54 not including this spring semester. I've knocked out gen bio, gen chem and physics and I'm hopefully taking organic chemistry this summer. I say hopefully because I haven't actually enrolled as the class is currently full but I'm just going to show up on the first day and hopefully someone will have dropped and I can get written in.

Work: I've been a valet at the local hospital for a year now.. Although the it's not the ideal job it at least got my foot in the door and I've met a whole lot of the people who work there. I just got a much better job working as a caregiver in which i will be working in 1 patients home for 40 hours a week. He's about 25 and has chrons disease as well as a developmental disorder. This should give me plenty of clinical hours, right?

Volunteer: I'm starting to volunteer at hospital I'm a valet for here next week. Unfortunately I have no volunteer experience... So I'm pretty far behind. Hopefully this volunteer gig with the hospital works well and will lead into some shadowing.

Research: none. My college has a biology research program that lasts the entire summer.. This is something I will be applying for next summer and be pursuing heavily.

Goals: my goal is to get accepted into medical school! My dream school is university of Washington because my family is from Seattle, my grandpa graduated from medical school there, I'm in love with Seattle and it's a great school. I understand that this is a great school and my GPA and ECs are nowhere near where they need to be to get accepted there. I also have interest in u of Utah as well as numerous DO schools here in the PNW. Also, Boise is getting a medical school that i would potentially have the opportunity to be the first graduating class of. Sketchy.

Thanks for taking time to read/respond. I would really appreciate any advice you guys are willing to offer! Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to have the whole thing basically figured out. Try to get your GPA up a little bit in your junior year because it's on the low side. Study for the MCAT like your life depends on it. Personally I think the caregiver thing sounds awesome. Obviously you'll want some more volunteering, shadowing, non-clinical experience, and a bit of research.

Shadow, scribe, increase GPA as much as possible, get good MCAT, have good motivation, and you'll be fine. You're already further than many just by seeking out information about the process on the internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
@bananafish94 what do you mean by non-clinical experience? I know... GPA is too low. Time to make some changes and get my stuff together. The caregiver job is a sweet gig. Just worried that MD schools may not be a realistic option with my low GPA. I've got 2 years to fix it up.. Challenge accepted. @Hospitalized do you think a scribe would be a better job than the caregiver job? Being a scribe seems... Less rewarding. I can't afford getting rid of my valet job since I end up making $30 an hour or so with tips... So it would have to completely replace the caregiver job. You think a scribe looks that much better?

@bananafish94 what do you mean by non-clinical experience? I know... GPA is too low. Time to make some changes and get my stuff together. The caregiver job is a sweet gig. Just worried that MD schools may not be a realistic option with my low GPA. I've got 2 years to fix it up.. Challenge accepted. @Hospitalized do you think a scribe would be a better job than the caregiver job? Being a scribe seems... Less rewarding. I can't afford getting rid of my valet job since I end up making $30 an hour or so with tips... So it would have to completely replace the caregiver job. You think a scribe looks that much better?
I mean volunteering that isn't explicitly related to medicine. General altruism that isn't solely healthcare related. Your GPA isn't too low, but if you could get it up to like a 3.7 it would be awesome because that's competitive everywhere. If you want to go DO then your current GPA is good. I'm currently a scribe but it's a full time 8-5 job, I can't imagine doing that with school or a lot of other commitments.

I agree. A 3.7 is a GPA I could be proud of. I've been thinking about coaching a little league baseball team.. Just been pondering but maybe it's time I try and pursue that. It'd be a blast and would be considered non clinical volunteering... And it'd be a blast! I'll look into it.. Thanks for bringing that up

I agree. A 3.7 is a GPA I could be proud of. I've been thinking about coaching a little league baseball team.. Just been pondering but maybe it's time I try and pursue that. It'd be a blast and would be considered non clinical volunteering... And it'd be a blast! I'll look into it.. Thanks for bringing that up

Coaching a little league baseball team sounds like a good hobby. If you have time, then go for it

Reactions: 1 users
been doing it with a full course load and a lot of other commitments for the past two years. Really sucks sometimes.
For the past two years I've worked 2-3 jobs during school and it's certainly a handful, but at least I can craft work around my own schedule to some extent. How on earth do you manage that?

For the past two years I've worked 2-3 jobs during school and it's certainly a handful, but at least I can craft work around my own schedule to some extent. How on earth do you manage that?

My biggest complaint is that its hard to find volunteering and shadowing positions because I can only take ones that fit within my schedule. Basically thats why I have 0 shadowing hours; id have to shadow doctors at night when I'm already doing HW or volunteering. Its only been my first two years so the classes haven't been difficult. Once I transfer and start taking the heavier pre-reqs I'm going to cut down on the hours.

My biggest complaint is that its hard to find volunteering and shadowing positions because I can only take ones that fit within my schedule. Basically thats why I have 0 shadowing hours; id have to shadow doctors at night when I'm already doing HW or volunteering. Its only been my first two years so the classes haven't been difficult. Once I transfer and start taking the heavier pre-reqs I'm going to cut down on the hours.
Wow. That's rather impressive, you have my respect!

Reactions: 1 user
Just hope adcoms see it the same way. I tend to think working so many hours is not going to matter that much though. Still comes down to the pre-med stuff regardless.
Ultimately it comes down to the almighty GPA and MCAT, which are harder to obtain if you work full time. But the ability to manage such a full schedule certainly speaks volumes about your time management, work ethic, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's something admissions will notice.. Holding a good GPA while paying your own way through school is one heck of a task on its own. Let alone trying to fit in all the other EC's!

Thanks for all the advice guys. It's much appreciated! Only a matter of time before I have to face the almighty mcat. Yay.

I think you should only take organic chemistry over the summer if you're certain you'll do well. If not, it could be a big hit to your GPA.

Get up your shadowing hours too (10o+ hours with a few doctors is the usual competitive amount). Research doesn't hurt, but isn't essential.

I would suggest pursuing what you enjoy as far as non-clinical work. Maybe participate in something relating to a hobby or interest you've always wanted to get into!

Good luck. You're certainly driven! :)

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of doing research. It's simply just not my thing. I wonder if next summer could be better spent working and volunteering and shadowing. I guess we will see when the time comes.

As for Organic Chemistry over the summer.. I start on Tuesday and I will get an A. It's going to be hell, but I will get an A in the class. As for orgo 2, I'm not sure if I'm even going to take it since UW doesn't require it. Can someone find a reason for me to take it?

I'm amazed with all the responses and willingness to help. You guys are awesome and thank you for welcoming me so kindly to the forums!

I think I decided to coach a little league baseball team. I applied for a volunteer coaching spot with one of the local leagues. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.

I think I decided to coach a little league baseball team. I applied for a volunteer coaching spot with one of the local leagues. Hopefully I hear back from them soon.

I coached a little league baseball team my last semester of undergrad and it was awesome.... I had so much fun and it was a very rewarding experience.... plus we won the championship after all the older coaches thought we were a joke ;)

I coached a little league baseball team my last semester of undergrad and it was awesome.... I had so much fun and it was a very rewarding experience.... plus we won the championship after all the older coaches thought we were a joke ;)
Nice!! I've umpired little league games for the last 4 years or so.. It'll be fun being the one doing the yelling this year!

As for orgo 2, I'm not sure if I'm even going to take it since UW doesn't require it. Can someone find a reason for me to take it?

I would take it since you should be applying to multiple schools, not just your top choice.

Goals: my goal is to get accepted into medical school! My dream school is university of Washington because my family is from Seattle, my grandpa graduated from medical school there, I'm in love with Seattle and it's a great school. I understand that this is a great school and my GPA and ECs are nowhere near where they need to be to get accepted there. I also have interest in u of Utah as well as numerous DO schools here in the PNW. Also, Boise is getting a medical school that i would potentially have the opportunity to be the first graduating class of. Sketchy.

I may have missed this somewhere, but are you an actual Washington resident or is your family just from there? If not, do you have a state school? I personally think you're GPA is fine for UW, especially if you continue with an upward trend. Additionally, you have a little time to work on ECs. Utah has a great application tool on their website that can really help you to get an interview there. If you haven't seen it, I can find it and send you a link. I found it helped me for all MD applications, not just Utah's.

I may have missed this somewhere, but are you an actual Washington resident or is your family just from there? If not, do you have a state school? I personally think you're GPA is fine for UW, especially if you continue with an upward trend. Additionally, you have a little time to work on ECs. Utah has a great application tool on their website that can really help you to get an interview there. If you haven't seen it, I can find it and send you a link. I found it helped me for all MD applications, not just Utah's.

No, I am not a Washington resident. I live in Boise, Idaho. My family is just from there. The only medical school we have in Idaho is going to be Idaho State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. However, it is not set to accept its first class until Fall of 18. (Conveniently when I am wanting to go to med school) however, I am wanting a future in surgery and would like to go to an MD school if at all possible.

Shoot me the link of you can find it. I was on their website yesterday and didn't see anything of it.

I would take it since you should be applying to multiple schools, not just your top choice.
Looks like Utah requires 2 full years of Chemistry and considering that they list biochemistry under the biology requirements I feel that it's safe to assume organic 2 is a must. Bummer.

I am also from Boise! I'll will be starting at UW in the fall. If you go to UW as an Idaho resident you won't be taking any classes in Seattle unfortunately, so your desire to possibly live in Seattle may not be realized. I believe you are required to do at least one clinical rotation in Seattle though.

UW and Utah are excellent options for you since they both currently have designated spots for Idaho residents (40 spots with UW and 10 spots with Utah). Personally, I might stay away from the new DO school in Boise. I have heard rumors that it may not get off the ground when it thinks it will, and it currently faces some difficulties (even though they deny it). It may end up being a good back up for you though if things do go well for them and they get started in 2018. I hear that their first DO school has been doing pretty well. I would recommend other PNW DO schools first (it sounds like you agree).

Here is the link for that worksheet from Utah- http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/self-assessment.pdf The only criticism I have is that the hours they list for shadowing, clinical exposure, and volunteering seem pretty low to me. If I were you, I would shoot for way above what they say is average, especially on shadowing. It says that the average hours is 24, but many schools require more than that. I believe UW might actually require at least 40.

I am also from Boise! I'll will be starting at UW in the fall. If you go to UW as an Idaho resident you won't be taking any classes in Seattle unfortunately, so your desire to possibly live in Seattle may not be realized. I believe you are required to do at least one clinical rotation in Seattle though.

UW and Utah are excellent options for you since they both currently have designated spots for Idaho residents (40 spots with UW and 10 spots with Utah). Personally, I might stay away from the new DO school in Boise. I have heard rumors that it may not get off the ground when it thinks it will, and it currently faces some difficulties (even though they deny it). It may end up being a good back up for you though if things do go well for them and they get started in 2018. I hear that their first DO school has been doing pretty well. I would recommend other PNW DO schools first (it sounds like you agree).

Here is the link for that worksheet from Utah- http://medicine.utah.edu/students/programs/md/admissions/self-assessment.pdf The only criticism I have is that the hours they list for shadowing, clinical exposure, and volunteering seem pretty low to me. If I were you, I would shoot for way above what they say is average, especially on shadowing. It says that the average hours is 24, but many schools require more than that. I believe UW might actually require at least 40.
Nice! Are you a yote too?? Regardless, congrats on getting into UW! And yes, I've heard that the first year is done at U of I in Moscow.. But I thought the 2nd year was done on the UW campus? I think Boises DO school will be my last resort. As I mentioned before I am hoping to go to an MD rather than DO anyways.

I am a yote! Or used to be I guess. I loved pretty much everything about that school and feel so lucky to have gone there.

UW students used to all do their second year in Seattle, but they recently changed that. Starting with the entering class of 2015, everyone does all of their preclinical curriculum at their state site. It has been shortened to 18 months though, so now we have a little more time for rotations.

When do you plan on taking the MCAT? didn't seem to be a part of your 40hrs/week job, plus school, plus volunteer, plus lab. Might be a small oversight worth exploring.

So far, so good!

Hello all!

As I said I am a new member to the forums.. However I have spent 2 years or so browsing and reading through the forums on a semi regular basis. I just wrapped up my sophomore yeah and have a current cumulative GPA of 3.54 not including this spring semester. I've knocked out gen bio, gen chem and physics and I'm hopefully taking organic chemistry this summer. I say hopefully because I haven't actually enrolled as the class is currently full but I'm just going to show up on the first day and hopefully someone will have dropped and I can get written in.

Work: I've been a valet at the local hospital for a year now.. Although the it's not the ideal job it at least got my foot in the door and I've met a whole lot of the people who work there. I just got a much better job working as a caregiver in which i will be working in 1 patients home for 40 hours a week. He's about 25 and has chrons disease as well as a developmental disorder. This should give me plenty of clinical hours, right?

Volunteer: I'm starting to volunteer at hospital I'm a valet for here next week. Unfortunately I have no volunteer experience... So I'm pretty far behind. Hopefully this volunteer gig with the hospital works well and will lead into some shadowing.

Research: none. My college has a biology research program that lasts the entire summer.. This is something I will be applying for next summer and be pursuing heavily.

Thanks for taking time to read/respond. I would really appreciate any advice you guys are willing to offer! Cheers!

I am a yote! Or used to be I guess. I loved pretty much everything about that school and feel so lucky to have gone there.

UW students used to all do their second year in Seattle, but they recently changed that. Starting with the entering class of 2015, everyone does all of their preclinical curriculum at their state site. It has been shortened to 18 months though, so now we have a little more time for rotations.

C of I has done great things for me so far, I love it there. I remember seeing you around campus a bunch last year, but I don't think we've actually ever met. Either way, best of luck to a fellow yote!

Sad to hear they changed the second year to our state site. However, that would cut the cost of living significantly which would be a big help in the long run!
When do you plan on taking the MCAT? didn't seem to be a part of your 40hrs/week job, plus school, plus volunteer, plus lab. Might be a small oversight worth exploring.
Plan for the MCAT is to take it late summer or early fall of 17 which would be right aft. I haven't chosen an exact date yet. My plan is to use the Kaplan Mcat books (just ordered them) to study with but I don't plan on taking any prep courses. It's going to be hard to find time to study though.

Have you considered coaching a team of special needs kids? Or Special Olympics? Less time, more altruistic, and more brownie points.

Small update:

caregiving job is going great... But starting to question whether or not i can list it as clinical experience. Regardless I really enjoy it as the patients I work with are very grateful for the help which makes it very rewarding. So, I will keep this job hopefully for the remainder of my time here in Boise.

I have a meeting with our local big brothers big sisters program and should be getting a little here in the next month. This is something I've always wanted to do and I finally feel like now is the time. Plus, it will go on my app as volunteer hours which is great.

I took orgo 1 this summer and got an A. Now for orgo 2 starting on Tuesday... Goodbye precious summer :(

I have been heavily considering quitting my job as a Valet in hopes of getting a job as a scribe. My valet job is awesome because with tips I usually make around $25-30 an hour. A big help in paying my bills and for tuition. However, I've been doing this for a year now and I'm pretty bored. I think a job as a scribe would be more beneficial to me as well as more enjoyable. However.. A huge pay cut.

My girlfriend of 4 years will be applying to graduate school this fall in hopes of getting in somewhere next fall. This has pushed me to try to graduate a little early. I sat down and figured out the logistics and I'm currently 50 credits short of graduating. If I take 18 credits this fall, 3 during winter term, 18 in spring and 11 in summer I can graduate come August 17. So this is my new plan.. Hoping it all works out. Worse case scenario I have to go to fall term and take a couple upper division bio classes and study for the mcat. We'll see how it works out! Any thoughts, comments, advice are welcomed. Hope you all are enjoying your summer more than I am ;)

Small update:

caregiving job is going great... But starting to question whether or not i can list it as clinical experience. Regardless I really enjoy it as the patients I work with are very grateful for the help which makes it very rewarding. So, I will keep this job hopefully for the remainder of my time here in Boise.

I have a meeting with our local big brothers big sisters program and should be getting a little here in the next month. This is something I've always wanted to do and I finally feel like now is the time. Plus, it will go on my app as volunteer hours which is great.

I took orgo 1 this summer and got an A. Now for orgo 2 starting on Tuesday... Goodbye precious summer :(

I have been heavily considering quitting my job as a Valet in hopes of getting a job as a scribe. My valet job is awesome because with tips I usually make around $25-30 an hour. A big help in paying my bills and for tuition. However, I've been doing this for a year now and I'm pretty bored. I think a job as a scribe would be more beneficial to me as well as more enjoyable. However.. A huge pay cut.

My girlfriend of 4 years will be applying to graduate school this fall in hopes of getting in somewhere next fall. This has pushed me to try to graduate a little early. I sat down and figured out the logistics and I'm currently 50 credits short of graduating. If I take 18 credits this fall, 3 during winter term, 18 in spring and 11 in summer I can graduate come August 17. So this is my new plan.. Hoping it all works out. Worse case scenario I have to go to fall term and take a couple upper division bio classes and study for the mcat. We'll see how it works out! Any thoughts, comments, advice are welcomed. Hope you all are enjoying your summer more than I am ;)
Don't graduate early if it is likely to hurt your gpa.
Weak grades at the end of college have double impact.

Don't graduate early if it is likely to hurt your gpa.
Weak grades at the end of college have double impact.

No doubt, 18 credits will be difficult but I feel that I am up for the challenge and can get grades that will not have a negative impact on my GPA. As long as this holds true, do you see any other issues with graduating early?

No doubt, 18 credits will be difficult but I feel that I am up for the challenge and can get grades that will not have a negative impact on my GPA. As long as this holds true, do you see any other issues with graduating early?
As long as you can maintain wellness and the gpa, no.