New Mexico DO school update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://krwg.org/post/new-private-medical-school-coming-nmsu-las-cruces

In a memo to NMSU employees Sunday night, NMSU President Dr. Garrey Carruthers announced a new private medical school is planned for land at New Mexico State University. Here is the full text of the memo:

Today, I am delighted to announce a partnership between New Mexico State University, NMSU’s Arrowhead Center and the newly formed Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine to create the state’s newest medical school on the NMSU campus.

Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University will be a freestanding, privately funded, separately licensed and independently operated entity. No taxpayer dollars will go toward its operation. BCOM’s initial capital investment in the project is approximately $85 million.

Dan Burrell, principal at Burrell Family Offices, will serve as chairman of BCOM and George Mychaskiw will be the chief academic officer and dean. BCOM will train physicians who can deliver culturally competent care in areas along the U.S./Mexico border region, in New Mexico’s rural communities and among the state’s Native American tribes, pueblos and nations.

BCOM has already submitted its pre-accreditation application to the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation and will submit an application to New Mexico’s Higher Education Department, private schools division. BCOM’s goal is to admit its first class in August 2016.

Over the past year, BCOM has successfully worked with local and regional hospitals and physicians to create new clinical training programs for the medical school’s students and graduates.

I have long been impressed by the amount of medical and biomedical research, education and outreach performed by our outstanding faculty across NMSU and our community colleges. This new partnership will serve to enhance those efforts, as well as our land-grant mission, as NMSU and BCOM plan to share faculty, research programs and various student-life services.

As part of the agreement with the university, BCOM has agreed to a long-term land lease for its facility at NMSU’s Arrowhead Park. Construction on a new, 80,000-square-foot building to house the medical school will begin within the next year.

Additionally, BCOM has agreed to create a significant scholarship fund for NMSU students pursuing health care and health-related fields, with an emphasis on pre-medicine students. BCOM will also provide payment to NMSU for its students to participate and utilize the same campus services as NMSU students, such as campus housing, NMSU’s student activity center and admission to NMSU athletic events.

This is an outstanding day for New Mexico as this public-private partnership will benefit the health and well-being of people across our state, and the region, by addressing our severe shortage of primary care physicians, especially among New Mexico’s underserved, rural populations. Please join me in welcoming the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine to New Mexico State University.

Members don't see this ad.

At least this DO school won't be in an old Costco or factory building...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this school going to be for-profit, as had been reported previously? If so, I'm surprised that they were able to get this guy who wrote this letter to the JAOA to come on board as dean:
http://www.jaoa.org/content/107/7/246.3.full

I'mglad he'll be a DO school dean. Hopefully he'll be able to cut through a lot of the growth-related problems (GME, 50-bed hospital rotation sites, etc.) that tend to affect DO school education.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this school going to be for-profit, as had been reported previously? If so, I'm surprised that they were able to get this guy who wrote this letter to the JAOA to come on board as dean:
http://www.jaoa.org/content/107/7/246.3.full

I'mglad he'll be a DO school dean. Hopefully he'll be able to cut through a lot of the growth-related problems (GME, 50-bed hospital rotation sites, etc.) that tend to affect DO school education.
This was the user "do anes" who used to post here rather frequently. He had to be one of the most vocal critics of RVU, the AOA and COCA.

He was also ACGME-trained. I thought one could only serve as dean if they were AOA boarded?

What does that have to do with the quality of the school?
Nothing against DO school.. I was saying because I think DO schools need to step up their game so PD can't look down on them...

Reactions: 1 user
This was the user "do anes" who used to post here rather frequently. He had to be one of the most vocal critics of RVU, the AOA and COCA.

He was also ACGME-trained. I thought one could only serve as dean if they were AOA boarded?

I've heard of a way to get AOA boarded by getting your residency viewed as equivalent or showing that you chose an ACGME residency due to lack of an AOA in an area that would not cause you financial hardship, yadda yadda. Its basically the residency version of Res. 42. I'm not sure if this works across the board in all specialties, but I've heard of it being done in some, depending on the specialty board. I'm not saying this is what happened in this case, but I have heard of something like that from some docs.

Nothing against DO school.. I was saying because I think DO schools need to step up their game so PD can't look down on them...

I'm ignorant here, but I'd be surprised if PDs look down on DO schools due to building aesthetics.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Private-medical-school-planned-for-NMSU-5620899.php

"The college will not be part of NMSU, and graduates won't receive NMSU degrees or be admitted through the university's admission process. However, the college's students would have access to NMSU housing, services and activities.

The University of New Mexico in Albuquerque already has a medical school.

The new college's tuition is set at $45,000 per year, compared with in-state tuition of $16,170 and out-of-state tuition at $46,347 at UNM's medical school."

I can't graduate and match quicker. Mercy.

Reactions: 1 users

Never underestimate the power of a fat employment contract with a golden parachute.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious to see what they will do about clinical rotations. University of New Mexico Hospital is the only referral center in the state. There are two big private hospitals in Albuquerque (Presbyterian and Lovelace), but even they transfer their sickest patients to UNM. Outside of Albuquerque, there are small community hospitals in Santa Fe and Las Cruces. There isn't much to offer in terms of appropriate-sized facilities beyond those three cities.

Don't exclude El Paso, as this school will not be restricted to using New Mexico facilities. Also, Roswell, Farmington, and Durango have decent sized hospitals. In Albuquerque there's Presbyterian and Lovelace, both large general hospitals, if not tertiary. No matter what it all entails, there should be no problem finding places for medical students.

Don't exclude El Paso, as this school will not be restricted to using New Mexico facilities. Also, Roswell, Farmington, and Durango have decent sized hospitals. In Albuquerque there's Presbyterian and Lovelace, both large general hospitals, if not tertiary. No matter what it all entails, there should be no problem finding places for medical students.

You make good points. I was thinking in a residency frame. A hospital doesn't require an acuity level appropriate for a residency program in order to host medical students. But this school likely will have to extend its clinical network outside of New Mexico to find enough feasible hospitals for its students.

How extensive is the Texas Tech-El Paso medical school's clinical network in El Paso? Could they provide enough resistance for an out-of-state private school? I have seen this happen elsewhere.

I'd also like to know what this new DO school has in mind for creating residency slots. A hospital like Presbyterian would be a strong candidate for new osteopathic residency programs, but with the upcoming GME merger, I wonder if that would happen with UNM being literally two miles away.

You make good points. I was thinking in a residency frame. A hospital doesn't require an acuity level appropriate for a residency program in order to host medical students. But this school likely will have to extend its clinical network outside of New Mexico to find enough feasible hospitals for its students.

How extensive is the Texas Tech-El Paso medical school's clinical network in El Paso? Could they provide enough resistance for an out-of-state private school? I have seen this happen elsewhere.

I'd also like to know what this new DO school has in mind for creating residency slots. A hospital like Presbyterian would be a strong candidate for new osteopathic residency programs, but with the upcoming GME merger, I wonder if that would happen with UNM being literally two miles away.

I don't think proximity is an issue. A lot of big cities have multiple major teaching hospitals a lot closer together than two miles. Houston and Phoenix come to mind.

http://krwg.org/post/new-private-medical-school-coming-nmsu-las-cruces

In a memo to NMSU employees Sunday night, NMSU President Dr. Garrey Carruthers announced a new private medical school is planned for land at New Mexico State University. Here is the full text of the memo:

Today, I am delighted to announce a partnership between New Mexico State University, NMSU’s Arrowhead Center and the newly formed Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine to create the state’s newest medical school on the NMSU campus.

Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University will be a freestanding, privately funded, separately licensed and independently operated entity. No taxpayer dollars will go toward its operation. BCOM’s initial capital investment in the project is approximately $85 million.

Dan Burrell, principal at Burrell Family Offices, will serve as chairman of BCOM and George Mychaskiw will be the chief academic officer and dean. BCOM will train physicians who can deliver culturally competent care in areas along the U.S./Mexico border region, in New Mexico’s rural communities and among the state’s Native American tribes, pueblos and nations.

BCOM has already submitted its pre-accreditation application to the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation and will submit an application to New Mexico’s Higher Education Department, private schools division. BCOM’s goal is to admit its first class in August 2016.

Over the past year, BCOM has successfully worked with local and regional hospitals and physicians to create new clinical training programs for the medical school’s students and graduates.

I have long been impressed by the amount of medical and biomedical research, education and outreach performed by our outstanding faculty across NMSU and our community colleges. This new partnership will serve to enhance those efforts, as well as our land-grant mission, as NMSU and BCOM plan to share faculty, research programs and various student-life services.

As part of the agreement with the university, BCOM has agreed to a long-term land lease for its facility at NMSU’s Arrowhead Park. Construction on a new, 80,000-square-foot building to house the medical school will begin within the next year.

Additionally, BCOM has agreed to create a significant scholarship fund for NMSU students pursuing health care and health-related fields, with an emphasis on pre-medicine students. BCOM will also provide payment to NMSU for its students to participate and utilize the same campus services as NMSU students, such as campus housing, NMSU’s student activity center and admission to NMSU athletic events.

This is an outstanding day for New Mexico as this public-private partnership will benefit the health and well-being of people across our state, and the region, by addressing our severe shortage of primary care physicians, especially among New Mexico’s underserved, rural populations. Please join me in welcoming the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine to New Mexico State University.
:rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

A hospital doesn't require an acuity level appropriate for a residency program in order to host medical students. .

I didn't think this was such a big problem until I did IM at a community hospital that housed an AOA IM residnecy. The problem is you only know what you see...

If your hospital doesn't have a cath lab, you don't get exposure to Acute MI's and their pre and post PCI management.

If your hospital doesn't have an active transplant program, you have no exposure in managing a whole myriad of possible complications. Even gaining proficiency at reading abdominal CT's in the absence of a transplant program, you have no exposure to what post-op changes look like.

No Neurosurgery, well there goes any neuro ICU management experience.