New Mexico (non-medical) Vacation tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... and now for something completely different.

- Going to New Mexico in 2 weeks for 6 days. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/see/eat?

Definitely going to the first A-bomb test site; its only open to the non-military public one day a year (hence the trip). Flying into and out of Albuquerque.

Ears are open. Go.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hehehe, yes...that's what I've seen on various documentaries about the place, just joking. I hear there are lots of beautiful mountains and hiking, though have only ever been to Albuquerque and Phoenix for just a short while and passing through. Have fun!

Eat at Casa de Benavides in the north valley. Not touristy and hands down my favorite New Mexican food.

Sadly I treated my time there as purgatory and didn't take much advantage of it. I know another poster spent a couple years there and may have better perspective.

Eat at Casa de Benavides in the north valley. Not touristy and hands down my favorite New Mexican food.

Sadly I treated my time there as purgatory and didn't take much advantage of it. I know another poster spent a couple years there and may have better perspective.

Send "other poster" my way, please?

Bandolier National Monument has ruins and great short hikes. Tent Rocks has dramatic rock formations and good hiking. Both are 45-60 min from Santa Fe, which has lots of art museums and galleries. The Los Alamos science museum is good too.

Uh...see Walter White's house. Duh.

Yes, I actually did this when I interviewed there.

You should also order the croque madame at the Grove Cafe.

Reactions: 1 user

- Going to New Mexico in 2 weeks for 6 days. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/see/eat?

Definitely going to the first A-bomb test site; its only open to the non-military public one day a year (hence the trip). Flying into and out of Albuquerque.

Ears are open. Go.

Thanks in advance.

Just road tripped through there last week. Taos was pretty cool with the Pueblo and skiing. There are some pretty nice drives up that way.

Eat lots of green chile.

I second Tent Rocks - it's very unique and easily accessible along your way from ABQ up to Santa Fe. While in SF you're going to want to eat at Cafe Pasqual's - one of the best restaurants in the lower 48, IMO.

Taos is a very nice and incredibly relaxing place to spend a couple of days - especially in the off season. If you're up for heading a little north of SF, put this on your list and drive the Enchanted Circle loop.

Albuquerque has plenty of cool stuff as well, you could take the tram up to the top of Sandia and eat at The High Finance. The food's just OK, but the view is stunning. The Isotopes have a nice ballpark if you want to catch some baseball. Walking around OldTown is fun, but will only fill about 1/2 a day.

Since it sounds like you're up for a bit of a science-tourism, I'd recommend checking out the Very Large Array. It's not far off of your way from the test site back to ABQ. You could also check out the TWA crash site if you want to combine some morbid curiosity with a strenuous hike.

But seriously, eat lots of green chile.

Reactions: 1 users
I lived there for about 7 years... middle school til just after high school. Things to see... hmm... are you into nature or history? Nature I'd say head towards the forests south and west of Santa Fe (Jemez mountains), Los Alamos is awesome, and as a few have said, Toas is really cool. Another cool piece if you like nature is the Rio Grande Gorge. The Rio Grande isn't really all that spectacular itself but the Gorge (up near the Taos area) is really nice. Problems you might have is that a LOT of the state got scorched by forest fires the last few years, but particularly last year. The mountains near Albuquerque are cool but not much really to see or do up there and might even be closed if fires are an issue again. In Albuquerque the tram up the Sandia mountain is kind of a cool thing... won't really see or do anything like that anywhere I can think of outside of Europe. History wise... well, you can visit Old Town Albuquerque which is allright I guess but I really like Old Santa Fe better. Just more to see IMO. Billy the Kids "supposed" grave is somewhere out west but honestly not really worth the trip... it's far from anything and not all that impressive. Umm... if you make it to the SE part of the state you MUST visit Carlsbad caverns... awesome. Unfortunately I think you're going to be surprised with how far things are from each other... truly Western sprawl in NM. Nothing like back east where you hit a town ever 37 feet. Food wise about the only thing to say is try to find a good place offering NEW Mexican food (a lot of people don't realize there is a difference between Mexican and New Mexican food) and order anything and ask for "green chile" either on or on the side. I'm a fan of sopapillas (think indian fry bread "pillows" stuffed with whatever you want) but there is also burritos, enchiladas, tacos, etc etc. My favorite place when I was there was called "Perea's" but you'll likely get 10 different answers about the "best" place if you ask 10 different people. One I saw recently on "Diners, Drive ins, and Dives" that I haven't been to but wanna try someday was called "Torino's at home" in Albuquerque. Probably lots of other things I could come up with... just ask.

In my opinion the coolest spot to visit is White Sands National Monument. You can watch stealth fighters in the bright blue NM sky with a backdrop of a completely chalk white gypsum desert. Copmletely surreal. And if you break a leg, just make a cast out of the sand!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on if you are willing to drive. Taos is always cool and not really that far of a drive...el monte sagrado is hands down the nicest hotel I've stayed at, hacienda del sol is a cool B&B. The Love Apple is a great restaurant up there.

I second White sands as one of the coolest/unique places in the state...but the spring can be windy in NM so I would plan around that if you decide to go.

There is not that much to do in ABQ proper. Padilla's has decent new mexican food, el pinto has a cool atmosphere and good margaritas. You can always check out the rattlesnake museum in old town if you're into that.

Bandolier National Monument has ruins and great short hikes. Tent Rocks has dramatic rock formations and good hiking. Both are 45-60 min from Santa Fe, which has lots of art museums and galleries. The Los Alamos science museum is good too.
If you're looking for hiking and you're short on time, I agree that these are excellent recommendations. Tent Rocks really packs a lot 'o quality into a short hike. I love New Mexico. You should visit for longer sometime.

Also, drive up to the Sandia crest one evening and watch the sun set over Albuquerque. It's beautiful.

Wow.

Thanks for all the replies. THIS is what makes the EM subforum here at SDN great. Its a real 'community' of like-minded individuals, who are ready and willing to share ideas/thoughts/data/experiences.

How far is the drive from ABQ to Santa Fe? Forget what google maps says; it tells me that the drive from my place to Anna Maria Island is 20 minutes, when in reality.... its 45+.

Wow.

Thanks for all the replies. THIS is what makes the EM subforum here at SDN great. Its a real 'community' of like-minded individuals, who are ready and willing to share ideas/thoughts/data/experiences.

How far is the drive from ABQ to Santa Fe? Forget what google maps says; it tells me that the drive from my place to Anna Maria Island is 20 minutes, when in reality.... its 45+.

I remember it taking an hour or so if you take the most direct route.

Ears are open. Go.

Thanks in advance.

Highly recommend "Ten Thousand Waves" in Santa Fe. Absolutely amazing and unique!
http://www.tenthousandwaves.com

Just a suggestion, but you could fly into El Paso travel north across the state and depart from ABQ. I'll third White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns. Bring a piece of cardboard big enough to sit on and you can sled down the dunes at WS, lots of fun. Hit the caverns at nightfall to watch the cave bat swarm, its huge, leave to hunt. Explore the cave the next day, then head north to Santa Fe and ABQ for all the fun stuff everyone else mentioned.

It shouldn't take more than an hour…often less.

It shouldn't take more than an hour…often less.
Yeah, I'll third or 4th that estimate. Just make sure when you hit the BIG hill about 3/4 of the way to Santa Fe you resist the urge to fly going down the backside... cops galore every time I've driven that route.

Santa Fe is a neat little town - lots of art, if you're into that, and a fabulous chocolate shop that specializes in Mezo-American drinking chocolate (Pretty awesome, and you can try everything): Kakawa Chocolate House. http://www.kakawachocolates.com/

Bandalier is neat for a change of pace.
Epazote for an elegant dinner (Although Cafe Pascal is the place we hit twice...)

Hey all - can anyone recommend a day-spa type gig up in Santa Fe ? Promised the wifey I'd take her.

Hey all - can anyone recommend a day-spa type gig up in Santa Fe ? Promised the wifey I'd take her.
Are ya sure it's for the wife? Mmm hmm... ;)
I don't know of any off hand but honestly I think "Yelp" is a good thing to turn to when in a place you don't know and are looking for something you want to find. Just punch in Day Spa in Yelp and I'm sure you'll get more info/opinions than you wanna read, lol!

Dudes;

Only in New Mexico for like 5 hours, and its already awesome. Touching down at the airport and looking out and seeing those huge mountains.... maaan. Wifey has never seen "a desert", so she's amazed. Air is so dry that whenever I move my arm aross the bedsheet... zap..zap..zaaaaap.zap.zapzap.

Tomorrow is "tool around Albuquerque day". Headed to the Nat'l Atomic History Museum, going to find Walter White's house (15 mins away from hotel), probably sightsee around "old town" and eat as many green chiles as we can. Already had the hotel's specialty "Green Chile Native Dish" (can't remember what its called right now... I'm three coronas and a margarita deep and the altitude is working on me), and I'm too excited to care.

Will post photo of Heisenberg's house. Promise.

Going home tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the data.

- Saw many "Breaking Bad" film-location sites. They're all over, and all within a short drive of one another.
- Bandalier Nat'l Monument was awesome.
- Trinity site was also awesome. Bucket-list check-off time.
- Ten Thousand Waves was pretty wow. The food in the adjacent restaurant (Inazumi) was as good as the spa package.

Definitely heading back to NM this year.

Going home tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the data.

- Saw many "Breaking Bad" film-location sites. They're all over, and all within a short drive of one another.
- Bandalier Nat'l Monument was awesome.
- Trinity site was also awesome. Bucket-list check-off time.
- Ten Thousand Waves was pretty wow. The food in the adjacent restaurant (Inazumi) was as good as the spa package.

Definitely heading back to NM this year.
So I take it you liked green chile then, lol?

Wait, what about the promised photo of Walter's house?

LsDSQPE.jpg

The Walter White residence.