New MS in Medical Physiology Post-Bacc Program at Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are pleased to announce the creation of a new Post-Baccalaureate Master’s in Medical Physiology program in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Designed for students with a bachelor’s degree in a physical, chemical, or biological science who are seeking advanced training in the physiological sciences, typically in preparation for admission to a professional medical program (e.g. Medical School, Dental School) or a Ph.D. program. Learn more.

Posted on behalf of:

Dr. Thomas M. Nosek
Director of Medical Education and Director of the Master’s in Medical Physiology Post-Baccalaureate
Program, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• CWRU MS in Medical Physiology.pdf
    208.6 KB · Views: 483
Can students with non-science degrees who have completed the medical school pre-requisite courses apply to this program?

Bananaz, its all about demonstrating preparedness. Check out the application requirements at the hyperlink above. I talked with program advisors and it is clear that they put weight on preparedness, in particular upper level human science/biology courses. Because this program focuses on grad-level physiology and biophysics courses packed within a very rigorous time-frame, committees are keeping an eye out for strong track records in science/biology. My first degree was in an unrelated field (Mech. Engineering) but have pursued upper-level biomedical science courses to cover my bases, leading to a dual degree. It worked! So I would definately consider courses beyond the standard premed stuff and go for junior/senior-levels: molec bio, biochem, cell bio, immunobio, etc... of course, time providing ;) As of yet, I have not started classes, so be sure to contact the program directly for the best feedback. They are very helpful!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like an interesting program. is there any type of linkage to case medical school?

Bananaz, its all about demonstrating preparedness. Check out the application requirements at the hyperlink above. I talked with program advisors and it is clear that they put weight on preparedness, in particular upper level human science/biology courses. Because this program focuses on grad-level physiology and biophysics courses packed within a very rigorous time-frame, committees are keeping an eye out for strong track records in science/biology. My first degree was in an unrelated field (Mech. Engineering) but have pursued upper-level biomedical science courses to cover my bases, leading to a dual degree. It worked! So I would definately consider courses beyond the standard premed stuff and go for junior/senior-levels: molec bio, biochem, cell bio, immunobio, etc... of course, time providing ;) As of yet, I have not started classes, so be sure to contact the program directly for the best feedback. They are very helpful!

this is absolutely correct. I spoke with Dr. Nosek today and he explained to me how critically they look at a student's ability to handle graduate level bio-medical course work. I would highly suggest making that stand out in your application above other things if anyone is still waiting to hear back.

I got accepted today and am attending this fall!! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Just wanted to know if anyone applied to medical school while in this program and if there were any informal linkages or higher chances of receiving an interview to CWRU SOM? I am finishing up the BU MAMS program, but am looking into this program, since it's slightly different from what I did - only 1 semester of general Med Phys at BU. Any feedback from current CWRU MS'ers is very much appreciated! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont see an application thread for this program so hopefully someone responds here. Ive got 3.25 GPA, sGPA is a little lower. 30P mcat. good amount of ECs... spent two summers interning at a biotech, another summer as a paid research assistant at weill-cornell medical school in NYC. Got to serve as an undergrad TA twice: first for vertebrate anatomy lab, then lead discussion section for environmental studies class. Volunteered at two diff hospitals in emergency room, and GI surgery. Also coached a kids soccer team this past fall. Solid recs (one of my profs just got promoted to Dean at U of Florida). I just turned my app in last week. Thoughts on my chances?

Just wanted to know if anyone applied to medical school while in this program and if there were any informal linkages or higher chances of receiving an interview to CWRU SOM? I am finishing up the BU MAMS program, but am looking into this program, since it's slightly different from what I did - only 1 semester of general Med Phys at BU. Any feedback from current CWRU MS'ers is very much appreciated! :D

There are no linkages, though the offices are in frequent communication.

Are there any current MSstudents who will be going to the SOM this year? Very curious about how the inaugural class is doing.

We are pleased to announce the creation of a new Post-Baccalaureate Master’s in Medical Physiology program in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Designed for students with a bachelor’s degree in a physical, chemical, or biological science who are seeking advanced training in the physiological sciences, typically in preparation for admission to a professional medical program (e.g. Medical School, Dental School) or a Ph.D. program. Learn more.

Posted on behalf of:

Dr. Thomas M. Nosek
Director of Medical Education and Director of the Master’s in Medical Physiology Post-Baccalaureate
Program, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University

Hello,
I am curious about this program and wanted to find out the following information. I am a senior at CSUEB applying this year, as an undergrad, my problem is my MCAT score, so what does this program offer that would help me improve my MCAT score? Any MCAT prep so forth?

Are there any current MSstudents who will be going to the SOM this year? Very curious about how the inaugural class is doing.

Any updates on this? I'm also very curious. How many people applied / were accepted to at least 1 MD school; or DO school?

@ FlowerBom & anxiousw

at least 1 person got accepted this cycle: 1 to the University of Washington-Seattle SOM and 1 to the Case Western Dental school. However, take these # with a grain of salt.
The program is ideally completed in 2 years. The applicants were 1 year programmers and submitted their AMCAS application only a couple months into the program, therefore the benefit of the program isn't evident. Their previous undergraduate performance probably had a larger factor in med school admissions). ~40-50 students were enrolled in the 2011 year (the first class undergoing this program) and of these 40-50, only a handful (<10 ppl) applied.Therefore the best measure of the benefit and strength of this program will be evident summer 2013.

That being said, I'd recommend you'd talk to the the admissions counselors to see whether the program is apt for your needs.

@ FlowerBom & anxiousw

at least 1 person got accepted this cycle: 1 to the University of Washington-Seattle SOM and 1 to the Case Western Dental school. However, take these # with a grain of salt.
The program is ideally completed in 2 years. The applicants were 1 year programmers and submitted their AMCAS application only a couple months into the program, therefore the benefit of the program isn't evident. Their previous undergraduate performance probably had a larger factor in med school admissions). ~40-50 students were enrolled in the 2011 year (the first class undergoing this program) and of these 40-50, only a handful (<10 ppl) applied.Therefore the best measure of the benefit and strength of this program will be evident summer 2013.

That being said, I'd recommend you'd talk to the the admissions counselors to see whether the program is apt for your needs.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Is anyone applying to this program for the fall? It looks great but it's hard finding info about it, anyone know how competitive it is? Or any current students in it willing to share their experiences?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the MS in Pathology and the MS in Med Phys, besides the obvious coursework? Do they both count as an SMP? If one or the other better for applying to med school later? Please let me know :) Thank you!