new name for EP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcsmith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I find it cumbersome to refer to myself as an emergency medicine physician, or even an emergency physician. (of course right now I refer to myself as the most cumbersome 'emergency medicine resident') Perhaps thats why a lot of people use 'EM doc,' or 'ER doc' - just easy to say. We need something short and zippy like 'cardiologist,' 'nephrologist,' 'radiologist,' 'surgeon.' Any suggestions?

I submit: the 'emergentist.' Bah, even that isn't easy to say. How about 'emergist?'

Help me out here guys. :laugh:

b

Members don't see this ad.

Whe I interviewed at Indiana the PD referred to himself as an "Emergentologist". Seems snappy enough.

How about internatraumaotolaryngolocardiopulmonosurgeonephrogastropedianeurolobstetrician?

That's Pimp Daddy for short.

'zilla

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought this was settled. SDN voted and the decsion by a landslide was Fatty Mcfattypants

Emergentrician :confused:

or how about Anything-and-Everythingologist :scared:

Doczilla said:
How about internatraumaotolaryngolocardiopulmonosurgeonephrogastropedianeurolobstetrician?

'zilla

darndamntootin! :love:

Here are my suggestions:

Pit Doc
Dumpologist
Drug Dealer
Clinic Overflowiscist
Liabilatron

BTW anyone who calls themselves an “emergentologist” with a straight face probably also tells their pts they have “myocardial ischemia.”

drkp said:
I thought this was settled. SDN voted and the decsion by a landslide was Fatty Mcfattypants

Actually, that's Dr. Fatty McFattypants.

docB said:
BTW anyone who calls themselves an “emergentologist” with a straight face probably also tells their pts they have “myocardial ischemia.”
I think I used to work with that guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with an em attending who says he is a " critical care fibromyologist" :)

Reactions: 3 users
docB said:
Here are my suggestions:

Pit Doc
Dumpologist
Drug Dealer
Clinic Overflowiscist
Liabilatron

”

My vote is for Dumpologist. I think that hits the nail on right on the head. Plus it makes me want to make a poop joke. :laugh:
E-

Reactions: 1 user
NECROBUMP! (thanks search function)
upload_2015-12-18_18-10-33.png

I guess emergentologist never really caught on as a job title.
When someone asked what kind of work I do, I said emergentologist after reading it in one of those throwaway journals... I got a very blank stare and then had to explain what the word meant.

Is there any other field of medicine, whose job title is defined by where they work rather than what they do?
OR doc vs surgeon
Clinic doc vs internist

I guess the closest thing would be a hospitalist.

I tell people I'm a cowboy. I figure that's pretty close.

Reactions: 2 users
I also say to imagine a waitress at a really busy waffle house, and then add medicine... and that's what I do (run back and forth, call out orders, put out fires, and pretty much my patient population too!)

Reactions: 2 users
NECROBUMP! (thanks search function)
View attachment 198853

I guess emergentologist never really caught on as a job title.
When someone asked what kind of work I do, I said emergentologist after reading it in one of those throwaway journals... I got a very blank stare and then had to explain what the word meant.

Is there any other field of medicine, whose job title is defined by where they work rather than what they do?
OR doc vs surgeon
Clinic doc vs internist

I guess the closest thing would be a hospitalist.

Hospitalists and Intensivists, but lay people don't know what those words mean either.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it cumbersome to refer to myself as an emergency medicine physician, or even an emergency physician. (of course right now I refer to myself as the most cumbersome 'emergency medicine resident')

Think those are hard to say, try saying those names but adding the word "assistant" after them.

"Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant"

"Emergency Physician Assistant"

Or, even worse, "internatraumaotolaryngolocardiopulmonsurgeonephrogastropedianeurolobstetrician assistant"!!

But, I think "Pimp Daddy Assistant" is even worse than that! lol

Think those are hard to say, try saying those names but adding the word "assistant" after them.

"Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant"

"Emergency Physician Assistant"

Or, even worse, "internatraumaotolaryngolocardiopulmonsurgeonephrogastropedianeurolobstetrician assistant"!!

But, I think "Pimp Daddy Assistant" is even worse than that! lol

Well, you could take a cue from CCFCP and use "Assistant Cowboy" then shorten it to "Tonto", but that's probably too culturally insensitive.

Natural Selection Reversal Agent...
maybe special agent.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know about you guys, but I find it cumbersome to refer to myself as an emergency medicine physician, or even an emergency physician. (of course right now I refer to myself as the most cumbersome 'emergency medicine resident') Perhaps thats why a lot of people use 'EM doc,' or 'ER doc' - just easy to say. We need something short and zippy like 'cardiologist,' 'nephrologist,' 'radiologist,' 'surgeon.' Any suggestions?

I submit: the 'emergentist.' Bah, even that isn't easy to say. How about 'emergist?'

Help me out here guys. :laugh:

b

How about GTR, aka glorified triage nurse.

I kid, I kid. I'm one of you.

I tell people I'm an ER doc.
They understand it.
Anything else i say, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

I tell people I'm an ER doc.
They understand it.
Anything else i say, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

This is the correct answer. Yes, there is a correct answer to this question. Here is an INcorrect answer to the question: any name that involves using "ED" in it. Someone should have thought that out a bit more before using it.

The dislike of using "ER doc" comes from a previous generation, no doubt the one that built EM into a specialty. But, things change, and now the general public respects ER a lot, especially due to what they see on TV.

So yes, the correct answer is "ER doc" when a random person asks, and "emergency physician" when listing on a CV or something professional.

Wow, kudos to Doc Bob for reviving a 10 YEAR OLD thread! I was reading through it and thought it looked vaguely familiar!

Hehe. I was halfway through writing a post, then thought... "let me check to see if this topic has already been discussed."

I call my place of work the ER. Who cares? Not I.

Somewhere there's a nurse administrator with a white coat, a clipboard, and a tightly pulled bun-hairstyle, who is very cross that you have this attitude and is probably writing an incident report about it.