New or Old MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanz7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be better to take the new 2015 MCAT or the current version since the contents will be a bit different (inclusion of psych/sociology, heavier emphasis on biochem(?) and omission of writing section in new exam)
I wouldn't have any problem with the new subjects, but that would also mean that I would need to take additional course in sociology and possibly biochem before taking MCAT (I was planning on taking biochem after MCAT)
the timeline on AAMC says that the new MCAT will be implemented in spring of 2015, and I probably won't have the prereqs done until maybe fall of 2014, so i would literally have only one chance to take the old MCAT in January, and if i'm not satisfied I would have to study new materials and take possibly take additional courses
what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say take the current one if you can. Its one hour shorter and the writing section will be removed.

could you elaborate on why you pointed out that the writing section will be removed?

Because it is useless.

Take the one next year. The 2015 MCAT will be the toughest MCAT ever administered in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because it is useless.

Take the one next year. The 2015 MCAT will be the toughest MCAT ever administered in my opinion.

ah never mind i thought bob was referring to the new 2015 MCAT (i was like i already mentioned that!)
yeah i just looked it up and they removed the writing section since 2013 WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH THE GREATEST NEWS

Because it is useless.

When taking the MCAT during 2014 will there be any of the new sections included as for "testing out the new MCAT?"

Someone I know (who is very unreliable) told me this so I'm just wondering how wrong he is.

When taking the MCAT during 2014 will there be any of the new sections included as for "testing out the new MCAT?"

Someone I know (who is very unreliable) told me this so I'm just wondering how wrong he is.

Yeah they're having trial sections of new content.

I'd try to take the only one since at least you'll "know the nature of the beast" so to speak. Being one of the first groups to take a new MCAT would be terrifying, IMO. I mean, everyone will be in the same boat and scores will reflect that but I like feeling like I have all the study tools I need at my disposal.

I'd try to take the only one since at least you'll "know the nature of the beast" so to speak. Being one of the first groups to take a new MCAT would be terrifying, IMO. I mean, everyone will be in the same boat and scores will reflect that but I like feeling like I have all the study tools I need at my disposal.

I'm a high school senior right now. That would mean that I would take the MCATs in March-May 2016. It's gonna be hell, and I know it. Anything to cheer me up? :(

The current one sounds way better than the new one. I'm not against biochemistry, but sociology? You can't teach bedside manners and people interaction through an exam like the MCAT.

Plus I liked the writing section because it gave me that hour to calm down and get ready for the bio section. Without the writing, I don't know how my score would have been because I would've been wiped out, or maybe my bladder would've exploded.