New Orleans programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celiac Plexus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone comment on Ochsner, LSU-NO, and Tulane in terms of rank/reputation etc...?

I know that I already posted about Tulane, but I was just wondering how these programs compare to each other....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that the LSU-New Orleans has been the best of the three for a while reputation wise. I have two very good friends who have just finished or are finishing their training there & loved the place. LSU usually has a reputation for being a pretty wild & nonstressed place to train for a University Program. Tulane had really bottomed out about 4-5 years ago & was a mess structurally when I was a student. My friends @ LSU always say that the Tulane residents really look like they weren't having a very good time during their training & that was the traditional rep. of that program. It sounds like there have been some improvements according to some of the students posting here however. One of my classmates in medschool did his intern year @ Oschner & was not very happy with that program, he transferred to a pgy2 spot somewhere else

Ochsner is a community program with a good reputation. However, being an ivory-tower sort of hospital, the residents don't get a lot of autonomy. They also get very little trauma exposure (Charity is the only trauma center in town and is split between Tulane and LSU). Ochsner residents have to go to Mobile for their trauma rotation. LSU is a good bread and butter type of program. The residents are happy and work hard. Their graduates tend to go into private practice as it's not a very academic program. They spend an average of 6-8 months every year out of town in Baton Rouge and Lafayette (1 and 2 hours from New Orleans, respectively). They spoke well of the training they get out of town. However, I couldn't imagine having a family or being in a serious relationship and preserving it through that much time out of town each year. Tulane residents work very hard and there are some unhappy upper levels. They hit a rough time a few years ago and lost some good faculty. They've just hired a bunch of new, young faculty and I think will be back to being a top notch program very shortly. Of the three programs, I liked Tulane's setup the most. They spend a lot of time at Charity, yet still get the tertiary care exposure at their private hospital. Either way, all three programs are good, it just depends on what you want in your career: gen surg private practice - LSU; private gen surg practice or big name fellowship - Ochsner; option for academics or big name fellowship - Tulane;.

Thanks for the posts! I really appreciate you guys taking time to give your input.

Good luck to y'all!