New PCAT vs. Old PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyGirl12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone knew how the old PCAT scores compare to the New PCAT scores. Since they added higher math and higher chem. it seems that the overall averages are going to be lower than they have been in the past. Does anyone else agree or know any more about it? Is it even useful to compare Oct. PCAT scores to last years' accepted averages?

I'd really appreciate any info on this subject!
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Happy,

I don't know what you're expecting from this question and why does it matter?

Yes, and obviously, it's going to be harder, and yes, the averages might be lower because it's harder. But people are studying harder. Is that what you wanted to hear? Did you want to hear that it was going to be easier? Maybe. I don't know.

Just practice and study hard and you'll do fine. Sorry for being bitter.

Because the scores on your report are percentile scores, based on the scores of other people taking the same test on the same date, there will still be 1 percent of test takers getting each percentile score. The raw scores (ie: number correct per section) may go down. I'm not sure if schools even look at those. But, everyone will be in the same boat as far as test difficulty goes.
-Anna :)

I don't think that each percentile rank has exactly 1% of test takers in that category. For example if 100 people take the exam and 50 of them score between 90-100 then the person with a 90 will be in the 50th percentile even though their score is high. More people might be in one percentile than another. Get what I'm saying?
PS still don't have my scores, wish me luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
ndearwater said:
I don't think that each percentile rank has exactly 1% of test takers in that category. For example if 100 people take the exam and 50 of them score between 90-100 then the person with a 90 will be in the 50th percentile even though their score is high. More people might be in one percentile than another. Get what I'm saying?
PS still don't have my scores, wish me luck :luck:
By definition, 99th percentile means you did better than 99% of other test takers. There could be a teeny bit more or less per percentile, but not much. Remember there are 5 sections at what 300 points each? So out of a possible 1500 raw points, there aren't going to be a ton of people with exactly the same score. They do NOT just add your section percentile scores and average them to get your overall percentile score. The percentiles may be a little more off on the individual section scores, since they are only out of like 300 points now, I believe. (It's 300 now, right? When I took it it was out of 400 per section.)

do you guys know what is the major changes in new pcat?? :confused: Is it biochem and calculus??shoud i buy kaplen 2004 ed or wait for a new one?? :idea: thanks! :)

I wish I could have taken the PCAT before the changes so I could compare. I absolutely bombed the quantitative portion and did less than expected in everything else.
Verbal: 60
Biology: 85
Reading Comp: 86
Quant: 44
Chemistry: 79
Composite: 76

I haven't taken Calculus in 4 years. Some of the things I saw on there I just stared at dazed and confused. When time was called I must've had at least 12 questions not filled. It was certainly a nerve wrecking experience.... and I'm signing up for it again in January. :scared: