New Pharmacy Manager

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecoolpharmboi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I usually don't post, but just got offered a PIC position at a retail chain. Previously I was a floating pharmacist and now I'll be a manager at a 9-9 store. It's only been a year that I've worked at this company and as a pharmacist. I'm excited to become a PIC and confident I can do it. Just wanted to seek some pointers from anyone who is (or was) a PIC. Any advice you can offer me would be great.

First day is Tuesday and I really want to get along well with my new coworkers. I was thinking of treating them by bringing some donuts or something in the morning to kind of break the ice. Is that a good idea? Or you'd think they'd look at it as some bribe for people to like me and it's unnecessary?

Any advice you have would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN,

I usually don't post, but just got offered a PIC position at a retail chain. Previously I was a floating pharmacist and now I'll be a manager at a 9-9 store. It's only been a year that I've worked at this company and as a pharmacist. I'm excited to become a PIC and confident I can do it. Just wanted to seek some pointers from anyone who is (or was) a PIC. Any advice you can offer me would be great.

First day is Tuesday and I really want to get along well with my new coworkers. I was thinking of treating them by bringing some donuts or something in the morning to kind of break the ice. Is that a good idea? Or you'd think they'd look at it as some bribe for people to like me and it's unnecessary?

It's not that serious...no need for donuts or any of that. Just be an effective manager.

And if you are still TX for the Class A, remember the NICE (notify the board, inventory your controls, comply with current registrations and date your earliest expiring ones, evaluate the environment and onsite library) 5 day checklist that has to be done when you become a PIC.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pharmacist brings in cookies or brownies like every 3 weeks, and it hasn't made me not like her.... she's awesome. Moral of the story: feed them, and they will love you

I dont think it is good idea to bring donut on your first day as PIC.
On your first day, make sure you give them impression that you take performance seriously. You don't have to be bossy. You can be nice and firm. Let them know what you expect from them.

If they are working hard, then you bring some donuts or coffee.

Hi SDN,

1. Don't make any major changes to the store in the first month when you start. Instead observe and notice how things are getting done to get a picture of what is working and what isn't.

2. You are their to be their manager, not their friend. You need to hold everyone accountable for their performance while recognizing those who work hard and let them know they are appreciated.

3. Lead by example.

4. Never speak negatively about another technician or staff pharmacist when they aren't there.

If you become their friend before you gain their respect you will never gain their respect. If you gain their respect before becoming friends you will likely maintain that respect. It's a difficult balance - too friendly and your techs may take advantage but too harsh/overbearing and you won't get their best effort. Bringing in food as fine but I'd personally not do it on my first day... but honestly it doesn't matter.

As others have said, don't start implementing changes to the workflow in the first week. I would get a feel for the store, the techs, the customers and the workflow. When you do decide to change something hold your techs to it.

Most importantly, no matter how bad your day is going never speak negatively or have a negative attitude. Sure it's fine to have a laugh at an idiot customer once they leave but moral is potentially the single most important attribute of your staff and the greatest predictor of success. If you say that a certain metric is stupid expect your techs to stop caring about that metric. I've seen the exact same staff with two different PICs and you wouldn't believe the difference that one person can make just by having a positive attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
NOOOOOO! You're their boss. Not their friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or you will learn the hard way. Be strict on attendance, performance! You reward (bring donuts, starbucks, etc) when they work hard or your store scores are met or exceeeded expectations. Reward high performance.
how about if they don't perform well... write up?? cause then they hate you even more !

Last edited:
how about if they don't perform well... write up?? cause then they hate you even more !

writing up is the best way to tell your tech to apply for other minimum wage jobs n get the hell out of here. its the same with pharmacists getting write ups. with 2 write ups u should start packing..

writing up is the best way to tell your tech to apply for other minimum wage jobs n get the hell out of here. its the same with pharmacists getting write ups. with 2 write ups u should start packing..
but the union protects them! even after writing up several times they still won't be fired unless they do something serious like steal tablets ...etc..

Be prepared to discipline and terminate if necessary. Don't be surprised if there are malcontents and underperformers that you'll need to get rid of or adapt to your expectations. I have followed buddy-buddy PICs that let their favorite techs run amok (like leave early wantonly without repercussions and camp out at drop-off all day) and it was a headache to have to deal with them. Usually you can set up a situation where you can get undesired techs to quit before you have to go to the trouble of disciplinary action. Setting clear expectations and holding people accountable is the most important thing you can do that you can't delegate to anyone else.

Yes, you work closely with techs and other pharmacists. Being courteous and respectful is fine but they are not your friends and don't be surprised if they turn on you in an instant.

Ignore everyone here. Bring (me) donuts.

Be prepared to discipline and terminate if necessary. Don't be surprised if there are malcontents and underperformers that you'll need to get rid of or adapt to your expectations. I have followed buddy-buddy PICs that let their favorite techs run amok (like leave early wantonly without repercussions and camp out at drop-off all day) and it was a headache to have to deal with them. Usually you can set up a situation where you can get undesired techs to quit before you have to go to the trouble of disciplinary action. Setting clear expectations and holding people accountable is the most important thing you can do that you can't delegate to anyone else.

Yes, you work closely with techs and other pharmacists. Being courteous and respectful is fine but they are not your friends and don't be surprised if they turn on you in an instant.

I'd probably give someone a friendly warning before writing them up over something... if I got written up out of nowhere I'd get the impression that I'm not valued by the company or my boss to be honest. Some people just clock in for a paycheck, other's look for recognition/validation and when you right them up they feel pretty bad about it. That being said if someone is consistently ignoring you there's no reason to put up with it.

1. Don't make any major changes to the store in the first month when you start. Instead observe and notice how things are getting done to get a picture of what is working and what isn't.

2. You are their to be their manager, not their friend. You need to hold everyone accountable for their performance while recognizing those who work hard and let them know they are appreciated.

3. Lead by example.

4. Never speak negatively about another technician or staff pharmacist when they aren't there.

Agreed with above. Lead by example, set standards and expectations, hold people accountable, learn how to motivate. Most importantly TRAIN your team from the start the way you want your pharmacy run. You'll burn out doing everything by yourself and will need to rely on your team.