New PharmD Student Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglover201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am currently a student in the PharmD program a St. John's University. I have just completed my first year and just had a few questions. After looking for hours on this website, I am very confused as to what I would like to do with my PharmD degree. Can anyone tell me what exactly the opportunities are after graduating pharmacy school with a PharmD degree. Also, I feel like I am leaning more towards clinical or industry but I'm not sure what they require. Like I saw a lot of information on fellowships and residencies but I just got overwhelmed by all of this and am not really sure where to start. Like all the possibilities of residencies or even how to apply, etc. Since it is the summer, I have summer vacation now, and even though I am working at CVS pharmacy as a pharmacy intern right now, I only work two days a week, and I feel like I have a lot of spare time on my hands. Should I start looking for an internship or something right now? Or do I worry about that when I get to my first professional year?
Thank You so much for anyone who is able to answer my questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I am currently a student in the PharmD program a St. John's University. I have just completed my first year and just had a few questions. After looking for hours on this website, I am very confused as to what I would like to do with my PharmD degree. Can anyone tell me what exactly the opportunities are after graduating pharmacy school with a PharmD degree. Also, I feel like I am leaning more towards clinical or industry but I'm not sure what they require. Like I saw a lot of information on fellowships and residencies but I just got overwhelmed by all of this and am not really sure where to start. Like all the possibilities of residencies or even how to apply, etc. Since it is the summer, I have summer vacation now, and even though I am working at CVS pharmacy as a pharmacy intern right now, I only work two days a week, and I feel like I have a lot of spare time on my hands. Should I start looking for an internship or something right now? Or do I worry about that when I get to my first professional year?
Thank You so much for anyone who is able to answer my questions!

I would be happy to! There's ditch digging, fruit picking, collecting unemployment, the list is endless!

I kid, I kid. Honestly, I have no idea where to start. You want to know the opportunities are, but you list many of them. Retail, hospital, nuclear, academic, research, and a few other specialty type jobs. Hopefully more people can chime in and help you.

EDIT: I guess you can start networking now, but your first professional year is more likely to get you anything you want. It's good you are looking ahead though. :thumbup:

look for 2 materials to help you:

APhA career pathways program
Pfizer guide (not exactly sure what the official title of this is).

Members don't see this ad :)
Sit down with a faculty advisor and start reading the career guides that APhA, ASHP and ACCP have posted. Look around on these forums, but the best place to get information is always someone that you can sit down and speak to. One-on-one mentorship is a key to early success.