New Practice overhead/space questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, I wasn't particularly happy with the SoCal practice that I joined 9 months ago.

I gave notice and I'm starting my own practice. I will be setting up my main office/ASC 30-40 minutes from my current practice. I plan to lease space 1 day/week in my current city, as many of my current patients want to continue to see me and so I can still get new patients from current referring docs.

I'll have more questions later, but my first question concerns this 1 day per week lease from a local physician. Lease rates vary by market, but they are also asking for what I think is a fair rate for using their computers and front office staff, in addition to the cost of renting two clinic rooms one day per week. (I'll be bringing my own MA).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds smart. Subleases can work out well for this situation. Just be sure you have a light and mobile footprint. Do everything off laptops. Your staff can do VOIP over laptops, efaxing, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a similar setup. 2 rooms, using front office staff, computers etc. Paid $1500/month. Could have paid less but I used the doctors connections to grow the business and moved out after 2 years. She still sends me all her MSK/Pain referrals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you have the office exclusively for that day? How many office staff members are they providing?

Be careful about the lease amount if they refer any patients to you as you can get hit for a Stark violation.

As many of you know, I wasn't particularly happy with the SoCal practice that I joined 9 months ago.

I gave notice and I'm starting my own practice. I will be setting up my main office/ASC 30-40 minutes from my current practice. I plan to lease space 1 day/week in my current city, as many of my current patients want to continue to see me and so I can still get new patients from current referring docs.

I'll have more questions later, but my first question concerns this 1 day per week lease from a local physician. Lease rates vary by market, but they are also asking for what I think is a fair rate for using their computers and front office staff, in addition to the cost of renting two clinic rooms one day per week. (I'll be bringing my own MA).

Thoughts?

Good for you!

We subleased our office to another doctor for $250/day (no computers or MA) for 1 year.

With my previous group, we subleased an Ortho office for $500/day (I was an employee at that time, so wasn't thinking about overhead much).