New programs vs. more established programs--any impact on job prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIREitUP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this probably matters a ton with regards to other fields, but is there a big difference in job prospects in private practice for someone who doesn't wish to pursue a fellowship if he/she decides to go to a new program over a more established one?

Thanks for your valued input!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this probably matters a ton with regards to other fields, but is there a big difference in job prospects in private practice for someone who doesn't wish to pursue a fellowship if he/she decides to go to a new program over a more established one?

Thanks for your valued input!

FWIW, my two cents is that any new program is going to recruit some established dermatologists to create the program, and these established people are likely to have connections. Besides, it seems like derm is still a buyer's market (to an extent)

Most of the more established programs tend to be more the more balanced programs (i.e. VA hospital, county hospital, etc. experience). The advantage of working in those settings is that a lot of those practices have volunteer faculty from private practice that are easy to make connections with. A lot of the newer programs have much smaller faculty sizes and less of a breadth of clinical training sites, so you miss out on those opportunities.

This applies more if you want to practice in the same city as your residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if the new program is well connected then I should not worry about it? I agree with the less breadth of opportunities being a potential downside, but at the same time it could be viewed as a positive (less traveling between clinical sites)

So if the new program is well connected then I should not worry about it? I agree with the less breadth of opportunities being a potential downside, but at the same time it could be viewed as a positive (less traveling between clinical sites)

I've never really viewed "traveling to a bunch of different clinics" as a positive, although clearly some people here do. There are programs that require the residents to see patients in morning clinic at home base, then all grab a cab over lunch to be at the urban community hospital clinic by 1pm, at least once a week. That sounds annoying.

Other programs have many residents simultaneously on call, covering the half dozen or so (sometimes more) affiliated hospitals. Meaning the number of months/weeks each resident takes call is much more than usual. Yeesh.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never really viewed "traveling to a bunch of different clinics" as a positive, although clearly some people here do. There are programs that require the residents to see patients in morning clinic at home base, then all grab a cab over lunch to be at the urban community hospital clinic by 1pm, at least once a week. That sounds annoying.

Other programs have many residents simultaneously on call, covering the half dozen or so (sometimes more) affiliated hospitals. Meaning the number of months/weeks each resident takes call is much more than usual. Yeesh.
Me neither. I've never understood the fascination with that, especially when morning clinic runs over or you have to drive back to attend conference. The logistics are a nightmare when you have too many sites to be responsible for.

Me neither. I've never understood the fascination with that, especially when morning clinic runs over or you have to drive back to attend conference. The logistics are a nightmare when you have too many sites to be responsible for.

I think of it the same way as talking about "early clinical experience" when looking at which medical school to choose. For some reason, it sounds relevant to the people who have yet to start. Once you are there, you realize it's a lot less important than you thought, and maybe even an annoyance.

Reactions: 1 user
I think of it the same way as talking about "early clinical experience" when looking at which medical school to choose. For some reason, it sounds relevant to the people who have yet to start. Once you are there, you realize it's a lot less important than you thought, and maybe even an annoyance.

I disagree. My home program has multiple sites and it makes for a better experience. Most of the residents prefer to be at the VA or county hospital because the pathology is a lot more interesting, there's more autonomy, etc. Plus, you get a lot more exposure to different faculty (volunteer faculty too) who practice in the community- they often have much different insights into how to do things, connections for jobs after residency, etc.

Also...in terms of call coverage it doesn't have a huge impact other than you might be more likely to get called because you're covering more hospitals. Usually 1 resident/attending cover ALL hospitals at nighttime. During the day, they're covered by whichever resident is on that site rotation. And come on guys, it's not like "derm" call is anything like call in other specialties.

That being said, you're usually still spending a good 50% of your time at the main clinical site.